Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Joined the Spector cheapie club, damn you TCole

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by cheezewiz, Feb 15, 2005.

1. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I just popped the BIN on this little beauty.

MIK NS2A

TCole has always told me how nice the Kramer era Spectors were for the price and I always ignored him. He recently bought two of them and I played each one. Damn..they ARE nice basses for the money! They don't have the huge club necks that modern Spectors have (my only real beef with 'em) and the cheapie Spector by EMG electronics sound pretty damn good. The NS design curved body is pretty damn sezzy.

Since playing Tim's, I've kind of had my eye on a few on ebay, and a few came and went at too high a price. I'd really like a white one, but they seem to go for much higher dollars. When this one came up for a $325 BIN with hard case and free shipping, I resisted a few days, but eventually my BIN finger got too itchy.
    Anyone else dig these old NS2As?

2. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    I was watching that haha, my mouse clicked the BIN once or twice, but I never confirmed. There's also that blueish one on there. All Spectors rock - don't let the price decieve you! I absolutly love both my NS2000/5s, and hope to only expand my Spector collections. I love 'em...

Ray

3. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Yep...Spector makes a nice bass. I bought a NS5CRFM (Czech 5) BRAND NEW from Bass Central a few years ago. I paid a heck of a lot of money for the bass, but it ended up being "not for me". It looked FABULOUS. It was probably the best looking bass I've ever had (green flamed top). There is actually a pic of me on BC's site with the bass (and with 50 lbs I don't have now too!).

I had two problems with it though. The electronics were simply TOO hot. It would overdrive almost any preamp I used, no matter how low I had the gain. It also had an extremely uncomfortable neck. I used this bass exclusively for 6 months, thinking I'd get used to it, but that deep C baseball bat shape just didn't work out.

If the higher end Spectors had smaller necks, I'd probably own one or two of em!

4. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Heh, I have rather large hands. I always thought I liked the thinner/smaller neck profiles, but this one fits me like a glove. If you ever decide you don't like it...;)

Ray

5. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I have large hands too (6-1..can palm a basketball), but for some reason that Czech neck just wasn't comfortable. I'll keep ya in mind should I decide to move it!

6. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I pronounce it "sessy" my self. But yeah, the neck-through Korean Spectors are surprisingly solid (the bolt ons I can take or leave), and worth twice what you pay for them. Hell, slap some "real" EMGs in them, they're even better.

The NT Korean Spectors and used USA G&L basses are a couple of the best secrets on the used market.

I don't have freakishly large hands, but they're particular about nut widths and neck sizes (beefier = better), and those baseball bat necks are super comfy to me. It blows my mind bigger guys than me play Jazz type necks. Some people dislike the bigger necks, but I prefer them. As such, Spector is one of my first go-to brands when it's new bass time.

I still wish I had Bad Habit's NS2000/5, but I was incredibly studid. Oh well. Moved up in the Spector chain, if nothing else.

7. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Teehee, everyone loves that bass. I'm not moving it though! Nevar! :bag:

Ray

TB should have a section like Dude Pit where you can chat amongst other owners of most brands of basses... so we could actually have a TB Spector club :p

8. Yes, me. I have a black one.

9. HI GUYS AND GALS SORRY FOR THE CAP'S THEY ARE ON LOCK FOR THE AUTOCAD PROGRAM. HINT IM AT WORK. ANYWAY I WOULD NEVER SELL MY WHITE NS2A KOREAN. THEY ARE WORTH MORE THAN WHAT THEY ARE GOING FOR ON THE BAY. IMAO.

10. cetera

cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    Those old Korean NS2As are great basses.... I sold mine many years ago to a friend and he uses it as a back-up (!?!?!) to his Stingray... :eek: :confused: :eyebrow: :rollno: :bag:

Might have to try and buy it back for half of what I sold it to him for!! ;) :p

11. Antonius

Antonius

Nov 26, 2002
    NL
    Funny, I have exactly the same bass, same color. Never knew what era it really was from, I wasn't even sure wether it was a Korean model. Doesn't matter actually, since indeed those are such great instruments. Mine has taken some beating, cracked the head when it fell over on a concrete floor once. Played it like that for years, had it repaired by a luthier only recently. Even with the crack in the head it was so steady, hardly needed tuning between gigs/practice. It is still by far the most comfortable bass I ever played - light weight, curved back, well balanced, and a nice wide neck. Would love to try a fretless once, anyone ever played a fretless Spector?

12. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Looks good to me.