Joined the SVT810E club

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by PanteraFan, Sep 12, 2005.

1. Yep, after all that deliberation against 6x10 vs. 8x10 and Ampeg vs. Mesa vs. GK I "sold out" and went with the 810E.

Originally I was considering a Mesa. Contacted the rep and there was a minimum 16 week wait and a price increase of about £500. Thought about GK 810SBX, played one, didn't think about it that much again.

I was dead set against the Ampeg, even though whenever I played one I quite enjoyed it. Through an SWR 350x, SVT2 I found the tone to be really nice but always a little too scooped, and I used this as an excuse not to purchase one. However after the Mesa deal fell through I had my rack at the store and I plugged into the Ampeg. Wow.

Turns out the reason I thought the 810 was scooped was because I'd never realised just how scooped the 350x and SVT2 are. With my PSA-1(mid boosted to hell and sub rolled off, filter on my QSC set to 50Hz) this thing punches and growls like a champ, far superior to any of the other 'clean' cabs for what I'm after.

Did a quick rehearsal today and I noticed a few things. One, the Ampeg is remarkably articulate consideing it doesn't have a tweeter, far more articulate and defined than my Peavey rig(which isn't saying much I know). This cab can sling gobs of bottom end around, in fact I was far too hasty with this and ending up getting a drummer complaining of my bottom end drowning out his kit :smug:

After messing with the PSA-1, which to be fair isn't exactly intuitive(two bass controls, no dedicated clean mid control, drive and gain to worry about) I found a great setting. Turned my "Buzz"(sub) down to 9 o'clock and my Low up to 12, and my level control to 3 o'clock. This boosted my low mids and around the 500-800Hz mark and gave me the punch and grind I like. My Peaveys had midrange in spades and I was close to scooping the EQ with them. Problem was it wasn't a nice midrange.

I was also seriously underpowering the 810 today, my guitarist needed to use one side of my QSC as his Engl head hasn't arrived yet so I was only throwing 450W into the Ampeg. It was plenty loud on half volume, but I can't wait till I can bridge it at my gig on Thursday and get that extra kilowatt of headroom :bassist:

(N.B. You'd be surprised at how good a Metal Zone pedal straight into one side of a QSC RMX1450 sounds for guitar)

I questioned myself as to why I didn't want to like this cab initially and after much soul searching I realised it was for a very petty reason - I wanted to be different. All my idols, playing and tone wise, use the 810E, and after my experiences with it I can see why. I'm proud to own an Ampeg 810, and I was probably destined to do it as soon as I picked up a bass and started learning Fear Factory riffs.

I like this cab so much I'm considering getting another one with a QSC PLX3002, and running 1100W into each. :hyper:
  2. Welcome and congratulations.
  3. I don't know what to say other than:
    -I love this idea
    -you must do this
    -you must take pictures and show us
  4. Wow cool. What Peavey cabinets were you using before?
  5. I'll be taking photos of my current rig pretty soon. I really want a stupid sized rig, not sure how happy my band mates would be about it though!

I was using Peavey 410TVX and 115BXBW before, really punchy and loud but they just didn't have enough articulation and growl for me. The Ampeg has that in spades, even without a tweeter. I always found the tweeter on the 410TVX very harsh so I never used it.
  6. Cool. I'm using two Peavey 410TVX cabinets now. Punchy and deep but I'm always wondering about the SVT810E if it would sound any better.

7. N*Joy

Nov 30, 2002
    Birmingham, UK
    Did you check out the Ashdown 810 for comparison?

Glad you get to use it in anger - I couldn't really justify it for bedroom mojo :D
  8. Luckydog

Luckydog Supporting Member

Dec 25, 1999
    "only throwing 450W into the Ampeg"

Hmmm, so does that mean you wouldn't like the 325 watt SVT head through the 810? I can't imagine needing more watts with my 810 cabs, they are very articulate and loud with any of my SVT heads.
  9. The Peaveys had bags and bags of bottom end, they were silly. Great cabs, but they lacked that mojo I was after.

The Peavey 15" Black Widow was also a great cab and could handle a lot of abuse, but I'm just not a 15" type of guy.

I briefly tried an Ashdown, not my kinda thing. I was looking for something for death metal and the Ashdown seemed a bit too pleasant sounding.

There's a big difference between QSC solid state watts and Ampeg tube watts, in loudness terms :D
  10. best cab around .. for the heavy stuff..
    only thing better is 2
    only thing better than that would be 2 + some 18s
    and so on just multiply :)
  11. N*Joy

Nov 30, 2002
    Birmingham, UK

Thanks for that - just wondering whether or not they were comparable given that I can't stand the regular ABM cabs (a bit 'soft' as you say!)
  12. 450 watts ? underpowering, i only use about 300 and i dont think that would be underpowering

Also, scooped? scooped? the SVT II is anything but scooped! they are mid boosted through the ass :p
  13. The 8x10 is rated at 800RMS, 1600 Peak. 450 solid state watts is underpowering it. Admittedly it isn't supremely power hungry(like an Acme or something) but it still stands.

And to me SVTs all sound the same ;)
  14. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    The term "underpowering" doesnt really have any significance. It makes no difference to the speaker if you give it less power than its capable if dissipating. 450 watts is fine for that cab unless you want it to be louder.
  15. OiBass

Apr 9, 2003
    I've run a 125w Acoustic 150 (solid state) head into an
    810e and experienced no problems "underpowering" it-

SVT cabs make any head taste better!
  16. Which I do.
  17. if the cab was getting 450 watts from a solid state amp, and 300 watts from a tube amp, the solid state amp would be louder, its getting 150 watts more, remember, a watt is a watt

all SVT's may sound the same to you, but either way, all SVT's are mid boosted
  18. girlsaremean41

girlsaremean41 Banned

Jul 17, 2005
    Lancaster, PA
    Go to the store and compare a 450 watt solid state head with a 300 watt tube head.............the tube head will blow the solid state head off the shelf!!!!!!!!!!!!
  19. protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    A 100 watt tube would be a fairer match for a 450 watt head ;)

My 80 Watt Sunn kept up pretty well at a medium sized gig against a loud drummer and a 120 watt 5150 guitarist :)