Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Joiner Serenade #001

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by teej, Jan 28, 2006.

1. Birdseye Maple

22 vote(s)
    47.8%
  2. Oregon Myrtle

20 vote(s)
    43.5%
  3. Other (Specify)

4 vote(s)
    8.7%
  1. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    OK, so I've got cash to spend, and I recently finished a design that I've been working on for about a year, so I thought I'd make a bass!

Anywho, I'll be cutting out MDF body templates of both the single-sut and double-cut versions tomorrow, and I'll throw some pictures up when I do.

Questions, comments, and pointing out potential design/technical flaws would be appreciated.

2. teacherguy

teacherguy

Feb 21, 2004
    Cincinnati, OH
    Sounds like an interesting project that has a lot of options to consider (which I think is a blast working things out during the design phase).

Couple of things -
    1) Since this is the Joiner Serenade #001, does this mean it is the first of maybe a LINE of basses of the same design or is this a personal bass?

2) As far as 4 or five string, I'm a 4 string guy myself but it might be good to try your hand at a five (esp. if you plan to make more for customers, you have a 5 as an option). If it's your bass, have fun messing with an EADGC set up!!

3) I know Benevente and Viellete (sp?) offer a single-cut bolt on design if you haven't seen those but neither one is a chambered body (Benevente offers a neck thru chambered body style, though).

4) Hurry up with some pictures!!

Jon

3. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    Sent an e-mail to Larry RE: wood. Haven't placed an order yet. I'd like to see some of the claro walnut he's got. I'm picky about these things -- I've got to have just the right grain and figuring.

It's a personal bass, but I give them a # in case there comes a time where I'm producing these things. I did make a template (still on paper) for a 5-string version of both the double and single cuts, so if I ever have to make one, I've got the template. My problem with a bolt-on single-cut is the neck joint. With a set neck or neck-thru, you don't really need a thick, solid neck pocket since it's all going to be glued together. With a bolt-on, however, all the strength is in the neck pocket, so it's got to be thick/strong enough to hold. If it's too thick, I imagine playing in the upper frets would be a little uncomfortable.

[​IMG]

4. JSPguitars

JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    Nice to see someone else using paper and tape to put their design on. I like it! Can't wait to see the progress.

5. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    I used to draw the shape right on the MDF, but it doesn't erase very well, so now I tape a bunch of paper together, draw on that, glue it onto the MDF, and then cut out the template. And the design may not be fancy or anything groundbreaking, but I like it -- It's got wide, "sweeping" arcs, curves, and looks like it's moving.... just like my women. :scowl:

EDIT: Saw a photo of one of Benavente's bolt-on single-cuts. I see how he eliminates the problem of the neck pocket being in the way -- inserting the bolts on the side of the neck at an angle. You sly dog, you... :cool:

EDIT: Also, I'm not sure how this whole project will go considering I live in an apartment. I live on the 2nd floor, and some people started moving in below me over the weekend. I'd usually use the jigsaw to cut out the MDF template, but it's kind of loud, so I'll probably use my router. I was shocked at how quiet it was, even at high speeds, the first time I used it. :smug:

6. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    teej, I really dig the body design, very sleek but still appears that it will be exceptionally FUNCTIONAL.

Good eye, dude! :)

7. teacherguy

teacherguy

Feb 21, 2004
    Cincinnati, OH
    That is one SLICK design!!
    I hope you don't P*** off the neighbors too much with the noise while you build it. Wouldn't it suck if the person(s) moving in worked third shift and slept during the day!!!
    It makes me feel fortunate that I have a garage to work in (as cramped as it is)!
    Keep us posted!!

Jon

8. britrit

britrit

Jan 22, 2006
    London
    What does the chambered body do for the sound? And does the f hole change the sound?

it looks nice!

9. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    The chambering will not only greatly reduce the body weight, but it will also affect the tone by adding some resonance, especially if I use a piezo pickup. The "F-hole" (I put quotations around F-hole because if you look at the photos, it's hardly F-shaped -- I'm going for a tulip shape.) let's the sound out, much like an acoustic instrument.

By the way, the guy below me is a single father of 3.

A few months ago, before I moved, the basement/workshop flooded and most of my tools rusted, so today, I headed over to Home Depot and got a Columbia 15pc. clamp set, SurForm, 36" steel ruler, compass, and a new parts bin (I was using plastic jars until today) for $60. I looked for a spokeshave, but they didn't have them.

10. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    Nice designs, and I really like the F hole...

I do have to say that you've given me hope. I also live in a second floor apartment, and I was always afraid of buying more woodworking tools because of the neighbors. But, knowing now that a router is quieter than a jigsaw, I'll probably buy a router first. Now I can start designing my own bass!!

Thanks so much, Teej, and I can't wait to see the progress on this one!

11. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    Whoa, whoa, whoa! I said MY router was quieter than MY jigsaw. Don't get in trouble with the neighbours on my account! :D

In other news, no progress today, apart from the new tools. I spent build time at Home Depot, but tomorrow looks hopeful. I've only got classes from 8-10a on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, so while most people are I work, I hope to be out on the patio, cutting out the template(s).

12. britrit

britrit

Jan 22, 2006
    London
    What's the goal weight?

13. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA

Good point. I guess I was a bit too excited knowing that it IS possible to build in an apartment. My neighbors are good to me, and I've been good to them. I only use the surround sound once in a while, and that's during daylight hours (ok, sometimes it goes until 8pm depending on the movie), but otherwise, I practice with headphones and I never blast my music. So, if I do have a noisy piece of equipment, it'll most likely be used during the day, when it'll make the least amount of difference.:D

14. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    I've been thinking about doing a stabilized/acryilized maple nut. I don't know if it could withstand the force of the string's compression, but I thought a maple nut would compliment the maple fretlines more than a corian nut.

A goal weight? I've never thought about that. I dunno. Less than 7 or 8 pounds?

There's a huge field behind the apartments. I've always wanted to go out there with my gear, hooked up to a really long extension cord, turn the volume on my amp up to 10 (my speakers are rated twice the max power of my amp, so I'm not worried about that), and crank out the bass solo from Duran Duran's "Rio."

15. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    That would be freakin awesome. It's probably a really cool place to jam.

My old roommate who was a guitarist and I used to go to the woods in the middle of the winter after a snow at night to write music...he used his guitar case as a toboggan and slid down the hill!
    We just didn't have a way to plug in, so it was all acoustic.

16. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    Quick update - I've started cutting out the templates and I think I'll do it with the jigsaw. The router is just too slow. If I were using 1/4" ply or MDF, then the router would probably work really well, but I've got to make at least 2 passes using the router with this 5/8" MDF.

EDIT: OK, so the jigsaw is out of the question. The vibration/up-down motion causes my workbench to rattle a lot, and I'm affraid that noise is going to transfer to the apartment downstairs. So.... I think I'm going to run over to Lowe's and look for some dense 1/4" stuff -- maybe some oak ply or masonite or something.

17. Phil Mastro

Phil Mastro

Nov 18, 2004
    Montréal
    I'm a bit late here, but I really like your design! Both of them actually, the single cut and the double cut. Which one are you going for? I think the SC is nicer, but the DC would probably balance better.

18. don't do a nut out of wood (even stabilised) it won't stand up to the compression you need on a nut.

if you're doing a dark ebony board, you could use a graphite nut...if you want to match the maple lines, you should consider a beige colored material like "tusc" or find yourself a piece of corian that matches the maple closely

19. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    Thanks for the compliments, guys! I liked the designs, but I didn't know I'd get this much of a response. :grin:

I never did get to cut the temps out, though. I started to with the jigsaw, but it's just too loud. We're renting a storage unit at one of those mini-storage places. I think I saw an electrical outlet in the unit the last time I was there, so I'm going to see about working over there. Besides, my shop vac is over there. I don't have classes until 12:30 on Tuesday and Thursday, so I'll go check in the morning.

To answer your question, Phil, I've no idea. I'd like to do them both, but that's just not in the budget. :smug: I kinda like the single better, though. When I was copying the templates, I traced the SC in charcoal pencil and it seemed to speak to me -- "Build me!" it said. I dunno... I'm ready for materials and wood, but with Larry gone until March, I've got at least a month to think about it.

20. callmeMrThumbs

callmeMrThumbs Guest

Oct 6, 2005
    Omaha, NE
    That's a pretty sweet design. I like the single cut design, also. If you chose that one, you could add more "f-hole" type cuts higher up on the bass side....if that makes any sense whatsoever. Good luck with the build!

-Josh