Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

joinin a band: pros, cons, usual problems, arguments....

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Plucky, Jul 31, 2002.

1. Plucky

Plucky

Jun 18, 2002
    Underwater
    i was bored playin in my house even though im a young and novice bass player and i thought i could join a band, or create one. but i read some stories about awful, arrogant guitarists, and stuff and i decided to create a topic about and suggest ppl to talk about their experiences auditioning, or being part of bands. i'd like to know more about this before playin with a couple of little bastards or dissapoint ppl with my horrible sound. so.......3,2,1.........write!

2. hey plucky, i am in a band which i started so far everything has gone really well apart from a few times were the guitarist's have told me to turn down!!! :mad: we have done a few gigs and i enjoyed all of them. If i were you i would join or start a band its a great experience and if you dont like the guitarist or drummer you can always leave!

thanks morty :p

3. Jerry, Jr.

Jerry, Jr.

Jun 7, 2002
    Boston, MA
    Hey Plucky. I've played in several bands and with dozens of musicians in the 16 years that I have been playing. There are certainly pros and cons that you will encounter in band situations. It's like being in a relationship. Only, instead of two people, you have 3,4,5 or more! So, personalities, schedules, talent level, these things all come into play.

I think some things you should try to remember is to be open minded, fair and be willing to work hard and make sacrifices if you want to be in a successful band. Another thing I found to be useful when I was first playing was to play with musicians who are better than you are but, are also patient. This made me work harder and practice more and ultimately become a better musician.

Just some thoughts to get you started. I'm sure you'll get some more useful and intelligent replies as well. Good luck!

4. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Well it's like anything else. Everything has pros and cons to it. Don't let that stop you from joining or starting a band. There really isn't anything that's as much fun as jamming and just letting it all flow. I remember my first time playing with other people. I was about 12 and we only knew about 3 chords but when those 3 chords all came together it was great. I was hooked. 28 years later I'm still playing and am now in a band that really gets along well. No egos, attitudes, drunks or druggies. We are all older, careers, kids, and nobody has visions of tour busses dancing in their heads. So there is no pressure. If the first bunch isn't right for you then move on to another. Definetly do it though because there is always room for more music

5. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    I say just go for it. One important thing though is to make sure that everyone is on the same page. Do you want to make a "serious" band, or just jam around in the basement? What sort of music do you want to play? What is the power structure in the band? (This is more important if you are joining a pre-existing band, it might function democratically or there might be a hierarchy.) Can you function within that power structure?

Those are just a few things to worry about. But don't let it get you down. Playing music as a band either on stage or in the drummer's basement is one of the best feelings. That's what really makes it all worthwhile.

6. If you read my thread about the big egoed guitarist, don't worry about it. Join a band and have fun. It's worth it. Fights are bound to happen. Try and get a PA so if the other members get mad you can always say, "Whose PA are we using?!" ;) Anyway, do it and have fun.