Joining a band from a wanted ad?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by paintandsk8, Feb 26, 2005.

1. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    So you've all seen those adds on the bulletin board at your local music store. "Bass player wanted for (insert genre here) band". Has anyone here actually joined a band in this manner, and more importantly, did it work out?
  2. I sure did. 6 years ago while wandering the halls of the Music Department at the University of Calgary I saw a flyer advertising "Bass Player wanted for Heavy Metal Band, contact etc..." Man, I wish I'd kept that flyer.

I thought to myself, "hmmm, these guys must be serious, because they're advertising at the University. I've never done anything like this before, but have always wanted to, I'll go for it!"

Sure enough, 6 years later I'm still playing with that guitar player and we have an awesome drummer and are poised to start recording and playing some serious gigs. The whole story is really something that'll one day be posted on our website.

So, in conclusion, go for it. Check out what the band is playing, if it fits you and be as ready as ever to adjust yourself to their style of playing for a while, as they'll hopefully have songs for you to learn.

Good luck!
  3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I joined my current band through an ad in the local free hippie paper. By the time I called, they had already hired another guy, but I left my number and said to give me a call if things didn't work out. Well, things didn't work out after about two months, and they called me for an audition. I passed, they passed, so we've been together for about three years. Now I'm one of the core three ... couldn't get fired if I quit.

The first bass player plays with Mickey Ratt now.
  4. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    Wow, that's good to hear, from both of you. I must say that I was expecting the opposite.
  5. Well, you must remember that for each success story there are a hundred, nay a thousand failures. A lot of bands will take one look at a new guy and make their decision. But, on the other hand, you can get real tight with some people and go all the way.

So, moral is, if you don't try you'll never win.
  6. Joined my current one from an internet ad. You never know what it is going to be like until 2-3 sessions in, and it can be a waste of time, but you need to invest the time in case it is good. Mine is. Even if it had not been, it is still a chance to jam with new people, which is never a waste inmy opinion. Keep learning and experiencing..
  7. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    If I'm not in a working band I try to play with as many people as possible. Well, I don't try to, I just love playing so I take every opportunity I get. So, I tend to at least check on most any listing for bass in ads.

The band I'm in was created by the guitarist from what was one of the more prominent local bands in our area. He still often asks me if I would have came over and jammed if I hadn't known who he was. I tell him every time "Yes, I would have, I've done it many times before, if I had no idea who you were I would have done the same thing." He just doesn't seem to get it though :D

That said, even if it doesn't work out, you're still getting your name out amongst other musicians. It hasn't happened to me, but I could easily imagine someone calling me up that I haven't played with in years asking if I would want to join up in something that they're starting.

Ok, to summarize

What do you have to lose?
  8. Exactly. There is something to be gained from every musical encounter. You just need thebotle to do it. Hell, even if you end up out of your depth, bluffing is and important skill too. ;)
  9. fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Funny story, one of my old bands broke up and I wanted something different so I answered one of them. Turned out to be the drummer from the band that broke up and we actually ended up starting something pretty cool.
  10. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    I am a Craig's List junky. In my part of the Bay Area, I have gone on many "bass-player wanted" auditions. I actually did it for a while because it was fun and I liked the challenge of preparing material for the auditions. The problem that arose was that most of the bands were playing the same tunes. I have even tried to put bands together myself on Craig's. I also have taken auditions from flyers in GC and posted in local music stores.
  11. You know, that's how Metallica originally formed. Lars (after moving to SF from Denmark) put an ad in the paper seeking "Like-Minded Musicians." Couple of weeks later, he was playing with James Hetfield, Ron McGovney, and Dave Mustaine.
  12. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I generally give the ones in my area a weekly, or twice weekly look, see what comes up. I've never had any real good come of it, but it's generally been my problem, not theirs (I'm too young, don't fit in well with the band personalities, whatever).

I've also come across some real half assed, craptacular people, but same/same if you just met them.

I find the best musician networking is done at concerts, local or otherwise. I come away with more phone numbers at a show than any given month on Craigs List.