Joining a band with lack of knolage

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Chili, Jan 26, 2006.

1. Chili

Mar 8, 2005
    hey all, i really wonna join a band coz i dont see any hope with the guitar player coming back to my old band, he seems to be in 2 differant minds about the whole thing....for the 3rd time, anyway, i've seen advertisments for bass players in music shops n stuff, but i'm abit thingy about it becouse i dont no everything about theoary and cant read music fully, i no where the notes r around the neck and tend to no what notes werk with what etc, but becouse i dont have enough knolage about theory it makes me...i cant think of the word at the minute but it makes me.....about joining a random band, like i feel like i might not be able to live up to there expectaions n stuff, i've been playing for nearly 3 years now and have had compliments from other musicians and random people deffinitly for how long i've been playing, do u think i should just go for it without this knolage of theo or what?
    another thing that gets me is, my cuz plays bass and he knows less than me about bein in key and notes and scale, he really cant groove and he trys to be all flash, like he slap pops like that kid on that video in the recordings section, but becouse he trys to be all flash everyone thinks hes awsome and gets asked to be in loads of bands, and i'm thinking ***, he isnt as good as yous r making him out to be, hes good in his own right but now he has an eego boost like u wouldnt beleive, sorry for all the babling, but i just wanted to get that out lol
  2. Vampyre

Dec 9, 2004
    how old are you?
  3. Chili

Mar 8, 2005
    just turned 18 last week, becouse i no theres musicans out there that can look down on u with there noses stuck up if u dont no stuff like theory, i am planning on learning it but theres alot of other stuff to learn yet, but i'm woundering if bands will accept me without known a load of it
  4. Find a group of people around your age and start playing. That's the best way to learn.
  5. txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    The first time I played bass with a band, I had playing for exactly six weeks. I was *sweatin'*, and it wasn't just because it was hot outside. ;-)

Try playing with different groups of people, and see who you feel good playing with. Then join that band! Now, if they've put out an ad that specifically states that they want someone with a lot of musical knowledge, you might not want to start out with a band like that. Just try jamming with people. If they like you, you like them, and you are a good fit musically, then...awesome! If not, then keep looking.

The best way to advance as a player is to play with others, as much as possible. So...take the plunge! You sound like you are ready for it. You have been playing a while, and you know the difference between showing off, and grooving. So...go for it!

Cherie :)
  6. Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    ^^ Agreed!

Playing with others makes you such a better player overall. Don't feel intimidated about not knowing theory and reading music, I'm 24 and can't read music I learn everything by ear.......I know there may be some downfalls to this, but so far it has done nothing but made my ear that much better.
  7. Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Ideally, having music theory will help, but it isn't a requirement.

I've been playing professionally/semi-pro on and off since 1977 and I still don't know theory as well as I should (yeah, I know...never too late to learn, no excuse).

At your age, you won't know until you try...anything and everything. Just think of it as a learning experience. You've got nothing to lose and everything to gain.
  8. Blueszilla

Blueszilla Bassist ordinaire

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City
    I've always tried to play with folks I thought were better than me. I get motivated this way, nothing like working under a little pressure to make the good stuff come to the top. I'd say don't ever turn down an opportunity to learn new things, bass related or otherwise! Now that said, the best musical/band times I've had seem to be not necessarily with the best musicians, but with people I got along with best. The more fun you're having, the better the experience. Maybe it just seems that way, but so what.
  9. Chili

Mar 8, 2005
    cool thx guys, i apprisiate it the advice :), i've played with people before but its always been with people i new so i always felt comphtable, i actually feel alot better about goin hunting for a new band now lol, thx agen all
  10. txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    It can be intimidating, getting up to jam with people you don't know. The first time I got up to jam with more-experienced musicians, I was soooo nervous. One woman (a lead vocalist and guitarist) was ugly to me..."Get off the stage and don't come back until you can keep up with me!" But everyone else took up for me, and the drummer leaned over and said, "Ignore her. She's always bi$chy when she's not running the show. You're doing fine!"

It was awesome. I kept to the roots until I found the groove of the songs, many of which I'd never played, and some I'd never even heard before. That woman shut her mouth pretty quick, and I had a great time!

I hope you have a great time, too! I'm sure you will.

Cherie :)
  11. Maverick Blues

Maverick Blues Being a Thumper is all about ATTITUDE!

Apr 28, 2005
    Richmond, VA
    Cherie, that was pretty much the deal for me too, but I wasn't sweating it... I was there to be taken down a peg. Intentionally.

I won't bore everyone with the details, but I came into posession of a cheap bass through strange circumstances, and not intending to play bass. Though... dang, that thing just felt (and still feels) so right in my hands, and it seemed to be coming so easily! I found myself gravitating to it and playing it whenever I had a few spare minutes. And then I realized I was... practicing! :)

After a month or so of playing against CDs and mp3s of tunes I love, I was thinking... "Ya know, I can't possibly be doing as well as I think I''m doing. Playing against a recording that never changes and with no one critiquing you is cake. I need a reality check."

So, I hunted the adverts for somebody to jam with. Thing was, the guy whose ad I answered had another ad I didn't know about for a band, and they needed a bass player. So the "jam" I show up for winds up being a band practice and an impromptu audition for me.

Now a year later and after three other people drifting through practices on other instruments, we have a stable lineup and we're seriously talking about booking gigs in a couple of months.

With me on bass... go figure. Truth is stranger than fiction sometimes.

Chili, go for it, dude. Let 'em know up front you don't know a lot of theory, you just play from the gut or the heart or your soul or wherever it is you personally play from. :) Make it clear how much experience you have and where you think you are on the spectrum, but don't run yourself down. Consider sending them a quick demo mp3 via email or something so they can decide if you're worth auditioning. Or just hit some local jams and open mikes and let people hear you and hear about you.

But however you go about it, go for it! And the most important thing: Have fun!

P.S. I wanna be clear on this: The above is not bragging. I'm a hack bass player, and I know it. My technique stinks, and I've only learned a fraction of what I need to know (come on, I've only been playing for a year, wadaya expect)? My point is that good things that you'd never expect can happen if you just give them the chance. I was nowhere near ready to be in a band (still aren't, if you ask me) and I would never have tried out for one... but look what happened when I "accidentally" did!