Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

joining a band ?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by AllodoX, Jul 7, 2002.

1. Sure, what have you got to lose ( apart from your face and honour ) ?

54 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. Nah.. if you think they're too good, better look for something else.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Today i talked with 2 women that have a rather succesfull band in my region. they were looking for a bassplayer to join the band and asked if i was interested.

the problem is just this : i think they're a bit over my top.. they're both very experienced and professional musicians. i fear that i'm not good enough to join them..

what do you think ? should i take the gamble ?

2. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    The best way to get better, IMHO is to play with musician's better than yourself.

I say go for it.

3. cap

cap

Aug 8, 2001
    Hickam Hawaii
    I second that one

-cap

4. WildBill

WildBill

Jul 7, 2002
    Massachusettes
    Go for it, seems like a good idea to me, when I got into my first band I sucked, then after a while I learned alot and the band came together very nicely.

5. joke

joke

Sep 17, 2001
    I third what LiquidMidnight said!

6. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Go for it AllodoX!

You never know if a chance like this might come up again!

Seize the day!!!

7. Dude, man. Make it happen.

8. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Do it.

9. Prague77

Prague77

Aug 20, 2001
    Waco, TX
    dooooooooo it!

10. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    go for it

bp13

11. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    I think you better let me handle this one. I don't want to see you get hurt:rolleyes: ;) :D

12. Unless its someone like Zappa or Malmsteen, I don't think you'd be out of your depth. A lot of people would be happy with root notes.

13. What are you wating?

Go for it!!!!!
    You will learn a lot and if they are calling you is because they belive in you!!!!!

Pa'lante
    Jose Neville

14. ah why not ? lets give it a spin.. :)

15. Got for it man. I can not even BEGIN to describe how much I've learned and how much better I've gotten from playing in a band. It has been one of the greatest experiences of my life. Don't let the chance pass you up.

16. EEbass04

EEbass04

Dec 28, 2001
    Lee's Summit:MO
    Dude their obviously interested in you. I mean 2 successful musicians asking you to join their band, so they must think something of you and your playing.

17. I agree, go for it AllodoX!

18. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Do it

Peace
    Nick

19. Do it! Why not? But tell me... How they look?:eek: :D

I really like dutch girls... and you take 2!!! That's unfair!! :(

;)

EBP

20. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Allo-dude, have you hit your head on something lately? Forget the 'getting better by playing with better'-BS, it's TWO CHICKS we are talking about here!

And if you suck so bad, perhaps they will give you private lessons.. :eek: :D

[edit]PS, I have given this pretty much thought lately: never ever say something 'ok guys, but I'm pretty much a beginner and I don't play so good..' - it just gives them the impression that you suck before they even get to hear you. Afterwards, if they are like 'dude, you suck!', you can explain it to them why.