1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Joining club soon..

Discussion in 'G&L Bass Forum' started by shatterd, Feb 26, 2008.

1. shatterd

shatterd

Feb 24, 2008
    I'm new to bass. Decided to switch from guitar after coming to admire John Myung of Dream Theater. Just listening to him drew me in like a siren. I just couldn't resist the call of the bass.

I have a new G&L Tribute L2000 on the way(blueburst). It will be my first ever bass. I also picked up a Line 6 Lowdown Studio 75 watt amp to hold me over through the learning process.

A few stupid newb questions for you guys....

I have almost 2 years of guitar under my belt. How much is that going to help me in learning to play bass?

My new Bass will need a battery right? I assume it will be a 9 volt(like guitars)??

Can I tune it with my guitar tuner?

What strings should I put on it?

I'll post pics soon and join the club.

2. I have a new G&L Tribute L2000 on the way(blueburst).

You found the best bass for your money then. Excellent first bass.

I have almost 2 years of guitar under my belt. How much is that going to help me in learning to play bass?

Music is music. You've learned song structure, have callouses, developed an ear, ect from guitar. Bassist play a lot differently, so you would benefit by listening to some classic bassists to learn when (and when not) to play. The Beatles and Motown records are full of tasty, proper bass lines.

My new Bass will need a battery right? I assume it will be a 9 volt(like guitars)??

Yes. Change it every 6 months on day light savings day.

Can I tune it with my guitar tuner?

Yup! EADG

I'll post pics soon and join the club.

Pics, or it doesn't exist. :bassist:

3. shatterd

shatterd

Feb 24, 2008
    Thanks for the reply. Man I was blown away by that youtube demo of the L2000. How can a bass at this price(under 600 bucks) sound so incredible?

One more newb question.... When my bass gets here tomorrow, what will I need to do to set it up properly? Do you think it will pretty much be ready to play right out of the box?

4. spideyjg

spideyjg

Mar 19, 2006
    San Diego
    A few stupid newb questions for you guys....

That is a highly personal choice and you will eventually find yours.

Typically the D'addario XL .045-.105 set will drop on with little or no tweaking needed.

You never know. I would give it about 48 hours to settle into your environment before adjusting anything, unless it NEEDS it right off the bat.

The L-2000 will run 100% passive. You can take the battery out if you want. Don't leave the cord plugged in to extend the battery life.

Jim

5. shatterd

shatterd

Feb 24, 2008
    Guys, the bass came today. Absolute beauty! Can someone tell me what the three switches are for. There are three switches and three knobs. This bass came without any manuel. I've got one of the knobs figured out....volume control(te he!). I guess the other two knobs are EQ. One of the switches should change bass from active to passive(the middle one???)

Pics coming soon!!

6. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    Go to the G&L site http://www.glguitars.com/ and then click FAQ and on that page they have a link to the schematics and manuals.

7. shatterd

shatterd

Feb 24, 2008
    Can someone tell me what the switches are? I went to the website. All I could find was some complicated hand drawn schematics.

8. palmann

palmann

Sep 3, 2006
    Germany
  9. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    This is posted on the website.

GL-diag1.

10. shatterd

shatterd

Feb 24, 2008
    Exactly what I needed. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

11. palmann

palmann

Sep 3, 2006
    Germany