1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Joining new (established band)

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Dr3thepooner, Oct 21, 2013.

1. Just waned an opinion...

Lets say I have been playing bass for some time now in several bands.
    There is an opportunity to join a bigger established band.
    Everything seems pretty straight forward, its just i never made such move, and wondering what usually are the expectations of a new player

- just listen to their tunes and learn all the lines by ear ?
    - play them as close as you can?
    - would want me to replicate them note to note?

I guess they wouldn't wanna give me a private lesson : )

Share how you think this usually goes down.

2. Totally depends on the band.. these questions should be directed at the band leader..

Are they hiring you because they think you will bring something new on your own? Or because they think you can exactly replicate what the previous bass player did? Or because they want something specific that the previous bass player didn't give them? Any of those are valid and reasonable.

3. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass

May 10, 2006
    Established means they are gigging. They'll probably want to you learn 75 songs in a week - right down to their stops and hooks. Get busy, son!

4. +1. Yep

5. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi,

If I may, I'll share some thoughts and a question.

Is this an original band or a cover band?

As has been stated, if it's an original band they may want you to bring something fresh into the mix, or not. If it's a cover band, find out if they want replication of the original or if they put their own spin on tunes.

I joined a busy cover band almost two years ago and had to learn 50 tunes in two weeks. They stay pretty true to the recordings. It wasn't hard, it just took time. The guitar player had chord charts for pretty much everything but I learned most of it by ear because I don't like reading charts on stage.

I was a bit lazy at first because in my last band I sang a lot. In the new band I didn't have to do any singing (at first) and just played bass. But now I'm singing a bunch, lead and harmony. Like most of us singing bass players, I play better when I don't have to sing but I do enjoy a bit of the limelight once in a while.

Anyway, just go in there with a good attitude. Ask them what is expected and then deliver it.

And break a leg! :bassist:

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

6. jazzbill

jazzbill

Jun 4, 2010
    Richardson, TX
    I joined an established originals band two years ago. The BL gave me a CD of his originals. I listened and the songs were all being driven by a funky six string electric bass playing tons of notes; I was asked to play upright. I told the BL that I couldn't play those parts on upright, that I would play fewer notes and of course I wouldn't be slapping and popping. He said great, I'm tired of lead bass. So he wanted what I could bring to his music. So I guess my point is to communicate. Ask what they want. Don't assume they want the parts as played by the previous guy.

7. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    If they didn't tell you, you need to ask. It doesn't matter how it usually goes down, it matters how the band you are auditioning for wants it done.