Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Joining the Dark Side and choosing the right DB

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Bellbass, Feb 16, 2006.

1. Bellbass

Bellbass Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Hi everybody!

Been playing BG for 25 years (wouldn't call my Lakalnd, Warwick and Modulus slabs, but that's another story:ninja: ...) and now ready to tackle the big one. I've been reading for more than a month now and thanks to all of you, I'm more prepared to take the plundge. I've contacted a teacher (well trained in the classical field and, from what I've heard, very competent teacher and quite demanding: she asked me if I was prepared to suffer:eyebrow: ). And now is the time to buy a DB (renting one in Montreal, Canada is not an option: $250/month for a cheap chineese bass).

I've read all the Newbie threads and did all the researches I could to make the best choice. My objectives are simple. I first want to play classical (amateur orchestras) and chamber music with friends. And transfer the knowledge I gathered on BG to DB as far as jazz and pop are concerned.

Aside a few basses my teacher will test for me in Montreal, two options are open for my 3500$ (4500$cdn), both deliveries

Christopher hybrid 7/8 (My teacher suggested the 7/8 for classical)
    Upton Hybrid Medio Fino (although I'd have to pay 30% in taxes and customs and it's a smaller bass than, let's say the )

I also found this bass that could fit the bill and that is for sale at a couple hours' drive from Montreal. The seller says it's a German ply 45 years old. The back shape seems odd to me and I'd like to know if some of you could tell me what it is and if (by the look of it) it's worth the 3000$, he asks (two other pics coming).

Thanks in advance

Charles

2. Bellbass

Bellbass Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Two other pics...

Charles

3. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    If you buy the wrong Bass, you will suffer before, during and after you take lessons. Get the teacher to help you choose what Bass is good for you. A beginner shound not make decisions in regards to purchase with limited knowledge and playing experience on the Double Bass. The Bow is a whole 'nother subject.

4. Kam

Kam

Feb 12, 2006
    Minneapolis, MN
    The bow is a whole 'nother instrument!