1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Joining the Genz Benz Club!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by adrian garcia, Jul 31, 2007.

1. adrian garcia

adrian garcia In Memoriam

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    I am so excited to be joining the Genz Benz club- for years I have been impressed by the product and the time has come for me to take the plunge.
    I am looking at the 1200 amp and the 410xb2. The rig should kill!
    I have been with Gallien Krueger for years and still think they are a great amp, but it's time to move on.
    I have read all the GB thread I could find, but your views, opinions and experineces with GB are welcome.
    Lastly, a BIG HUGE thank you to Genz Benz for their consideration!
    Peace and God bless,
    Adrian

2. Welcome to the club! I have no desire to buy another rig anytime soon since getting my 600 and NeoX212. Great product, great people. Cant beat it.

3. myhot4

myhot4

Jul 11, 2006
    Sydney Australia
    Genz Benz are very good amps. Don't be scared to turn the eq dials. The range is all very usable. Let us knnow what you think of theXB2 cabs. I tried their neo cabs and it was too clean for my taste.

4. Double Agent

Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    I think you will be very happy. Tons of power, tons of EQ options, tons of tone. More usable tones than any other amp on the market I would say. I agree that GK's are great, but Genz just offers something more than about anyone else out there right now. I will soon be adding a NeoX-212T to my arsenal as my main gigging cab. You might think about that as an alternative as they more defined and clearer than the XB2 cabs from what I've heard. The XB2 cabs are more aimed at the rock crowd, although they could probably work for anything. I'm sure hasbeen will be in here to correct me if I'm mistaken in that opinion. Either way, you are getting some great gear. Enjoy!!

5. svtb15

svtb15 Banned

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig. Q+
    Welcome.. I think you will love the Genz amp.. It has a 3D feel compared to other amps.. huge, yet fast and tight....

6. Evolver

Evolver

Feb 13, 2007
    North Central PA
    I think you'll be very impressed with Genz-Benz. I've been using the GB750 with a Neo 2x12 and have had great results. Fantastic support as well...

7. Welcome aboard!

I am using their 3.5 head with the neo 212 cab. Gives me everything I need! Their support is outstanding as well.

8. BIGREDSIX

BIGREDSIX Supporting Member

Adrian,

Welcome to the club! I have been extremely pleased and impressed with the GBE1200 and Accugroove Whappo Junior combination. I particularly like running both channels at the same time. Tons of everything you want/need and then some. BTW - our (very loud) drummer tells me that he has experienced the "brown note" several times from this rig and my Skjold custom 5...:hyper:

9. bobe

bobe

Dec 26, 2005
    rochester,ny
    I agree

Ever since I got the GBE1200 and the Accugroove El Whappo I have the proper ammunition to be heard against my guitarists Marshall/Soldano combo.

It is a nice compact yet powerful combo

10. jazzy grille

jazzy grille - Arrogant Bastard

Aug 15, 2006
    Sarasota, Florida
    So am I, I should have known that the Epifani wouldnt be everything I wanted....

I like clairity but I still want to able to add a little tube girth when needed. Seems like the GBE 1200 is my ticket. Should be getting mine next month.

11. herndonbassist

herndonbassist Low Down Thumper Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2005
    Herndon, VA - NoVa
    Adrian, I can't wait to hear what you think about that setup. I've got the 600 going into Avatar cabs (delta 2x12 and delta 2x10) and absolutley LOVE my tone. I am hoping/planning to move up to the XB cabs pretty soon.

Best of luck!

12. adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    The amp, I think has pretty much been decided on- the 1200 is the one I will get, God willing. I know it is going to be big and heavy, but I will deal with that.
    Now, the cabs... this is the second time i read that the xb cabs are more aimed at the rock player. I am not a rock player most of the time ( I will be playing a lot of rock in the next three weeks, ironically )
    I have had the GK 212 cabs and like them, but have missed the tightness of the tens, but the 212 comes very highly reccommended by GB themselves, so...
    i have to make a final decision on the cabs..

13. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    If you only plan on using one cab with it, I'd get eh 750. You'll get the same volume and nearly the same headroom, plus it'll be smaller and a little lighter. IMO, and I have a 1200.

14. alembic5

alembic5

Dec 5, 2004
    Seattle, Wa.
    I'm joining the club too! I just sent off my money to a fellow TBer for my very own GBE-1200 yesterday. From the sounds of it, this is going to be my tone holy grail... or so I hope!

15. BuffaloBob4343

BuffaloBob4343 Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    Cool Adrian. I have never played GK stuff, so I can't compare the GB gear with it.

I just joined the club with a GBE 600. Before rehearsing it, I really liked the tube channel soloed at low volume, but the FET channel seemed really sterile.

Then I got to our rehearsal space where I could really crank it, and the FET channel really sounded great, too at higher volumes.

I really like this head compared to my all tube Aggie DB659 pre/power set-up. The Aggie was very bloomy, whereas the GB is warm but much more concise and articulate in its expression. It is exactly what I was looking for.

I'm still getting to know this head and its range of sounds. The variations for each adjustment are not stark, but rather quite subtle. So it takes a while to truly appreciate the variations in tone that are achievable.

So far the GBE 600 has had plenty enough power, but I already know that eventually I will trade up to either 750 or 1200 for more headroom (even if I rarely if ever need it). But I can now do that with complete confidence because I really like my 600 very much. If I didn't play with two crazy loud guitar geeks and a very loud drummer, I wouldn't even consider giving up the 600. In fact, I may just keep it anyway.

Also, I really like this head with my Schroeder 210212L. Jorg's cabs are very efficeint, and the new tweeter and crossover are very smooth. The low end is extremely fat and articulate. And the fact that I am playing a Dingwall AB2 don't hurt none either! It has the older FD1 pups, which I find have a slightly more modern sound then the FD3s. As such, it growls like a Warwick but has a much beefier more traditional tone behind it.

16. svtb15

svtb15 Banned

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig. Q+
    Adrian...I have the GBE1200 and it is like Godzilla a marshall slayer...
    I think i could easily use a GBE750 90% of the time but i am a headroom junkie so i got the 1200...
    The sound options with Pres and Tube /FET are almost limitless... I think I may have played almost all rigs avaiable on planet earth and i really think this is the holy grail... not becasue i endorse GB.... but because i have played everything under the sun and have never been so happy with my sound..
    it took me about 3-4 gigs to get the EQ the way i like and now i hardly touch it unless there is a problem room...
    I think you will be very pleased with the GB.

17. adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    this is all wonderful to hear.
    while i await the sale of my gk's or the arrival of funds next week, whichever comes first, i ponder the setup. I think I will go with the 1200 because if i don't, i know i will wish i had "since it had more power" - so the 1200 it is.
    Now, originally, i leaned towards the 410xb2, but i am getting a lot of feedback including from GB, that the Neo212 is really happening. So I am now leaning towards that cab ... I may drive out to Az to visit them so I can hear these for myself.

18. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    Exactly the reason I went with it. I haven't regretted it, but the 750 would have been plenty for me.

I wouldn't get ANY 410 unless you no for certain that you want a specific 410. I think any decent 212 is a great all-around cabinet for those wanting big sound in a slightly lighter package, and the NeoX 212 goes a few steps further. It isn't overly flat sounding, nor is it too traditional. It has a good even tone, and it is very light. The vertical design is a HUGE plus for this cab. Sitting next to a 410, it's a good 6-8 inches taller, and a lot thinner. This gets it up a tad higher, makes the head easier to reach and see, and helps with rolling it through doors and such.

19. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Good choice on the 1200. I had the 750, and while it had enough *most* of the time, there were a few times where I was left wanting/needing more. That was the ONLY reason I got rid of that head. And I still miss the tone of it, so I am guessing that a GBE1200 is probably in the cards for me in the forseeable future.

I also had the 410XB2 cabinet, and I agree with others--it's really a great rock cabinet. But to my ears, it seemed to have a mid hump in it, somewhat like an Eden XLT, that I grew tired of quickly. This is NOTHING against the cabinet, just a matter of personal taste. I have tried the 212 as well, and thought it was a very decent sounding cabinet (tried in a music store, so that's the only impression/experience I have with it.)

20. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    Many of you have probably already seen this photo of my rig, but I never get tired of seeing a great looking rig.

My playing styles cover Classic Rock, R&B, Blues, New Country and Pop. I don't slap! So this amp does everything and more that I need it too while continually sounding incredible. I considered two Neox 212 cabinets but the 610T-XB2 cabinet is just an outstanding cabinet to match up to a GBE-1200 and a StingRay5.

[​IMG]

TD