Joining the mile high club just got harder

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Marlat, Jan 6, 2004.

1. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    New directive from NTSB

Apparently if you congregate on an aeroplane you might be a terrorist :rolleyes:

This is going to make my goal of joining the mile high club just that little bit harder! :D

Has this caused any fuss in the US? Or have the restrictions on basic liberties just become a fact of life now?

(Mods edit out the last sentence if it is too political)
  2. I moving back to Colorado this summer so that won't be an issue:D
  3. Something that one has to remember is that part of the plan to keep the general public from irrational worry and maintain a steady sense of security includes deliberate over-reaction to percieved threats. Our media helps fan irrational fears on a 24 hour basis and that makes it difficult if not impossible for any agency in charge of security to convince the public that anything is being done. Most security can't be seen or even talked about so good PR is difficult without tangible signs of it taking place.

I would suspect that this directive falls into the category of "better this now than being caught with our pants down" ...or something to that effect:)

Your last sentence isn't too political but is somewhat naive in it's contention that it is a basic liberty to stand in line for an airline bathroom. Unless you're quoting that "pursuit of happiness" thing :D Quite the contrary, because of the nature of flying and our current terrorism situation, the airline is perfectly within IT's rights to require passengers to do (or not do) anything they deem necessary for security. If you don't agree, don't fly. But I would contend that it is better in this case to be wrong about the need for the directive than to see the need and do nothing because it is somehow "inconvenient".
  4. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Actaully I was referring to this:

"Qantas had confirmed it had received a directive from the US Transport and Security Administration that passengers not be permitted to congregate in groups on board international flights."

I realise that it is within an airlines rights to require passengers to do anything, but this directive is not coming from the airline - so regardless of whether the airline perceives it as a risk, they are being directed to obey it. Personally, I think being told not to "congregate" with other persons is a depravation of a fairly basic liberty (note that the directive is about congregation and not about lining up for bathrooms). However, if you dont think so, reasonable minds can disagree on issues :)

Having been on a number of long international flights, a bit of congregation is good for your sanity.
  5. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Aren't there certain airline carriers out there that market to adults for that reason alone? Or are they all out of business?
  6. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    I did hear of one airline that offered this "service" however I doubt it was a commercial carrier and whether it is in service any more is unknown!

Besides the challenge is in getting away with it on a regular airline - extra points if its with an air hostess :eek: :cool:
  7. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Everyone has to make sure they're shuffling slack-jawed in the same direction. (Can you tell I don't agree with Ham?)
  8. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

huh? Is that slang for something?
  9. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Not unless you want it to be :confused:

(Queing means "standing in line")
  10. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!

you are too funny...

Man, how far from 3 mile Island were you born?

forgets smiley

11. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I have no idea what's going on... :confused:

*rubs duck sauce on his forhead*
  12. it's like you to be so skeptical. have you learned NOTHING from Back to the Future part II? lousy biff and his 1985 sports almanac.:mad:
  13. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    I used to fly alot and In all the miles Ive been in the air never really saw groups of people congregating by the lavatories. (other than the flight attendents)
  14. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    I most there might be one or two people queing for the can on a long international flight, but other than that its only really the flight attendants.

Try telling that to the Ministry of Scare Tactics :) - looks like its back to the 50's with society, constantly afraid of the commies!

I dont know which is worse though, the governments that spew this rubbish or the people who blindly follow it! rant off now...

15. Wurd
  16. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Whats so special about Colorado?

17. Denver, Colorado is a mile high from sea level. Thus anyone living is colorado (well atleast denver and west of it) is already in the mile high club ;)
  18. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    I can barely fit in an airline can let alone get it on in one with my girl.
  19. andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    where the hell do you **** in an airplane? the toilet??
  20. Oh damn, I thought you were gonna say it went up another atmosphere ...