joining wood with no jointer

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by rdhbass, Feb 10, 2006.

1. rdhbass

Jun 28, 2003
    Springfield, mo
    is this possible of joining laminates and trueing the sides so that you can glue it all up with no jointer. if so, what do you use. thanks.
  2. use a hand plane !!!
    use a 5 1/2 jack plane and low angle block plane to spot it.
  3. rdhbass

Jun 28, 2003
    Springfield, mo
    thanks for the info.:) i'm one of these people who can build his own bass, know all the critical measurements and angles, but has limited shop experience, only what i've done on my own. i probably would need classes if i buy a jointer someday how to use it and not cut off a finger.
  4. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon

So much good information here. Thanks Hambone!

5. JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    Along the same topic, I am currently trying to get two maple burl bookmatched pieces jointed together tightly, and running them on my jointer only seems to make them worse. I tried using my router with a guide and bearing template bit, but that didn't seem to do much better. Perhaps it's time to invest in a really nice table saw blade.
  6. Yeah sorry, wasn't much help! in a bad mood as I'm not well and can't get down the work shop, sorry again, it can be done with a jack plane but it is a pain in the arse. the router table is a good idea and should work great.
    JPS try a 22" try plane, (no really this time)you can pick up a oldish stanley cheap, honest two strokes on each side on a top and it's done, don't put them in a vice but on a easy made MDF joining board, if you want a picture of mine I'll post one. you'll never do it any other way after, get them invisible join lines. it realy is the simplest way.
  7. Hookus

Oct 2, 2005
    Austin, TX
    I have had the best luck using a table saw with fugured woods. Use a feather board in front, and behind the blade, pressing the piece tightly into the fence.
  8. Regarding hand planes for jointing, if you don't know how to plane it can be a steap learning curve. Just to add to Hambone's good suggestions above, you can also use a shooting board for the thinner boards (eg. I wouldn't use a shooting board for jointing a 45mm body blank).

Plane numbers. Anything smaller than a #5 won't do it (eg. #4 and #4 1/2 are smoothing planes not jointers, will surely take an effort to joint with one) unless the length of the board is very small. I generally use #7 and #8 (larger boards) for jointing, but the #5 - #6 will do the job nicely.

Planing and sharpening take a lot of practice to produce great results. So use some scrap wood to practice on, don't waste wood that you'll use for building till your comfortable with your results.

If you're using hand planes, make sure the blade is very sharp. For example, the plane should cut pine end grain with minimal trouble. Alternatively, you could test the blade by carefully, I reiterate ***carefully***, shaving some hair (for those with active imaginations, you're arm will be fine) as a test, though do it at your own risk. I do have a bald patch on my left arm on occasion...

Check out the woodwork forums first for techniques and maybe garage sales, flea markets or ebay for cheap Stanley planes. Some people will try to convince you to spend a sh1t3 load of money to do a simple job. On the other hand, time is money so you may prefer to use a power tool and jig.
  9. rdhbass

Jun 28, 2003
    Springfield, mo
    What kind of router bit is the best, im a newbie, geez, i know its frustrating..
  10. basstruck

basstruck Guest

Nov 25, 2005
    Hand or electric plane, lots of sanding, adjusting and finally lots of frustration and hard work and wood.
    So buy a jointer/planer or a bass
    It will be a lot easier for you and a wise investment
  11. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    Joiners and figured woods are a nasty combo I dread it every time I do it. I just can't mentaly picture some of the other methods mentioned. :confused: Sorry just a bit thick I guess.......t
  12. callmeMrThumbs

callmeMrThumbs Guest

Oct 6, 2005
    Omaha, NE
    I have absolutely zero experience with this, so all this information is really great. But I'm just curious...would it be possible to join woods just by cutting then with a table saw and using a sanding block? That seems almost too obviously easy to me....thanks.

13. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    Yes that is possible. Hambone mentioned it. Take the time to make sure your blade is at 90 degrees (don't trust the onboard guage) and make sure your fence/jig are nice and square. Take your time and test your setup on a little scrap. I used a table saw for all the joining on my last bass and the joints fit great.
  14. I have a 1/2" diameter spiral router bit with a bearing at the tip. It has a 2" cutting surface. I've actually attached a straight hardwood board to the piece I'm routing and used it as a guide for the bearing. That spiral bit cuts a really smooth surface and works great for preparing body halves for joining.

You'll find that most problems in life can be solved with a router and the right bits.
  15. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    You got a photo or link to a bit like that? Is it 2 or 3 blade. I have a 3 blade similar to what you are saying but I don't know if it is "spiral"....t
  16. DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    the only "gotcha" that you have to watch out for with that method is the sanding part. if not done carefully, you might round over the edges.

i have had success with setting up a guide fence and then hand routing and using the router table method that Hambone mentioned.
  17. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Yipe! Still no photo. I guess if it works well that is cool. Can it be sharpened?
  18. jongor

jongor Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2003
    What method did you finally decide on to do this?

And how did it work for you?

Oh, and I found a photo of what I think the Count was talking about.