Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Joke Band?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by EdgarHons, Feb 2, 2001.

1. EdgarHons

EdgarHons

Oct 14, 2000
    Anyone here have a joke band? I've really been inspired lately by some pretty funny bands around here, and after watching This is Spinal Tap I think I know what I'll be doing until my real guitarist moves up here. I've got some pretty decent ideas and stuff, and I hope to make it funny, but my question is...how do you think the audience will respond? What type of humor would be best suitable for a small audience?

Cause I've seen one solo pianist go over well singing love songs (In an incredibly high voice) to people in the audience, and getting so emotional he starts playing with his feet. Great show, TimKaye.com if you're interested...

I've also seen a band come on with a singer, drummer, bassist, and keyboardist who just kind of did something really weird. Singer was rolling on the floor, bassist kept jumping into the drums by accident, etc. They had a great song where the lyrics were "Make a choice left or death" or something to that manner where they'd say the line then have a weird circus type keyboard part play followed by a smashing of the drum set and random cool keyboard noises. Songs = 5, Set = 2 Minutes. These guys were hilarious but because they were really strange, no one knew what to do when they were done.

I hope to have a good audience response, my question is what do you think would be the best way to do this? Audience participation, tell jokes, etc? I dunno...just really wanted some feedback.

2. Joke bands rock!!! That's all there is to it!

Hey, what was the name of that band?

3. unfortanatly i live in a different state than the other members of my real band

but im in another band with two chicks that cant play guitar worth **** and a drummer who cant keep beat

so that makes our band a joke. does that count?

4. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    My joke band rules the world. It is members of several local bands who get together for special shows and what not. Our bio in the local music paper when they featured us was a joke about how we have been touring Asia since 1971 and have just come back to the States. We are supposedly the offspring of the original members and we are carrying on the legacy, but we conceal our identities because we get alot of flack from our peers. The singer wears an Elvis jumpsuit with a bunch of wigs stiched together so his "hair" hangs onto the ground. I wear a lime green 70s leisure suit and a budweiser box over top of an afro wig. The guitarist wears canary bellbottoms and wears a fake beard and wig. The drummer wears a wig over his face like cousin it.
    During shows we enter the venue in monk robes with hoods. We do all kind of strange things. Our set list includes covers by....
    Michael Bolton
    Bay City Rollers
    The Cars
    Black Sabbath
    Carly Simon
    The Temptations
    Neil Young

They love us, they really do.

5. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    I was once in a band back in the late 80's called Dorx. We dressed up like slide-rule jockeys...y'know those nerdy dudes that still think that 50's movie scientist style is hip - black wing tip shoes, black high-water slacks, short sleeve white dress shirts complete with pocket protectors (filled with the requsite pens and errata), and of course black plastic frame glasses, with tape holding some part of them on. At the time I was a guitarist, and had a Steinberger guitar, the perfect "geek" guitar.

We played all the 80's hair farmer band staples: Dokken, Whitesnake, Judas Priest, Tesla, Poison, Warrant, and the like. We NAILED the tunes perfectly (everyone was an excellent musician, just with warped senses of humor :D), always got great jaw-drop reactions to our playing. Unfortunately none of the club owners "got" us, so it never really got off the ground.

6. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Rocks Around The Glocks

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    heh...last year their was a band in my town called Poserallica...they used to dress up like those sleaze bands and play stuff like Bon Jovi,Europe etc...they were sooo great!They were all metalheads,and great musicians,so not only did they have fun,but they also played great music.

I wanted to make a fun band a few months ago.We would play heavy/death metal with growling vocals and have silly splatter lyrics,influenced by B-movies...we would have been called Blood In The Shaker :p ,but we just didn't get down to work on it...ahh,maybe sometime:D

7. ~Loxley~

~Loxley~ Guest

Apr 9, 2000
    I've got a joke band called A*S*S. We play a mixture of reggae and punk and we've got nine members!

Warren - Vocals
    Lenni - Vocals
    Dennis - Vocals
    Kathrine - Vocals
    Patrick - Bass
    Bjarne - Drums
    Martin - Clarinet :eek:
    Anna - Nothing really... She's just in the band...0
    Robin (me) - Guitar/songwriter

~Lox~

8. EdgarHons

EdgarHons

Oct 14, 2000
    Yea...I've already got some pretty good ideas.

We found this little miniature drum set for 120 bucks we're gonna buy complimented with these gigantic drum sticks.

We'll probably be changing the name of the band halfway through the show and then again at the end.

And recorder solos are a must.

We need a keyboard player though, keyboard really adds a lot of musical humor. Funny sounding riffs can work, but with special effects from keyboards, it could be 10 times better.

Costumes are of cours gonna be there, although I haven't thought of what kind yet. I'm trying to find band members, as of now, the only people I know are going to want to be serious, and we just don't want that.

We'll probably have jumping contests ending with one of us bringing in a trampoline.

9. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
  10. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    my joke band above!