Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Joker's Accugroove Tri112 Review...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jokerjkny, Feb 24, 2005.

1. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    hey all,

not to steal JPJ's thunder, but after a good three / four weeks, with ample time to fully break in the speaker, i have a few thoughts on a very cool cab from the gents at Accugroove.

first of all, lemme just say that Mark's the man. after receiving the cab from our good bud, Gard, i wasnt too happy with certain issues about the cab (you'll read in my review), but Mark was more than generous in helping me be a valued Accu customers. mad kudos. :cool:

aighty, to the review:

test gear:

Sadowsky V5 (swamp ash / maple)
    Sadowsky PJ-5 (alder / rosewood)
    EA iAMP-800
    Presonus Eureka
    Alembic F-1X
    Demeter VTBP-201s
    Aguilar DB680
    Aguilar DB728
    Stewart World 1.2 (both channels bridged)

construction:

first off, the box i received looks a bit different from the website. it looks more like the Tri110 setup, but with the 12" on the bottom. its pretty much the 1x12, just put up on its side with the 6" driver and tweeters on top. over the phone mark told me they're going with this design for a higher profile.

also, the box was very easy to carry around, and felt surprisingly light. despite weighing the same as an Aguilar GS112, which always felt a tad cumbersome with its snap handle, the Accu was much easier to schlep around thx to the heavy duty recessed handles.

and while the box itself was very sturdy and solidly built, i wasnt too happy with some cosmetic issues, i.e. the labels were put on rather sloppy, and the placement of the knobs were offcenter enough to block aspects of the label. all in all, quite disappointed, and not a product i'd expect from a "small shop". but again, Mark was more than accomodating in sending me a free new rear control panel, which i found very easy to reinstall myself.

tones:

the word of the day? balanced. not quite as neutral as my Acmes, and yet not nearly as hyped and overly EQ'ed as most other bass cabs. with any amp, the highs had a nice breezy air, the mids were very open, and yet the sound was present and upfront. again, to use a crude cab analogy, like crossing the upper air of an EA CXL112L with the easy going midrange of an Acme B2. its a tone that i could sit and listen to for days on end. nothing hyped or pushy about it. also, its one of the few cabs where i can set my amp flat and actually be happy with the sound. with my sadowsky's in passive mode, the tone was superb. its like Mark was reading all of my posts. ;)

unfortunately, even with the same aggressive EQ'ing that i do with my Acmes, the Accu wasnt quite the sonic velcro like the acmes, and didnt quite give me that satisfying punch in the gut like my Acme B-1 pair always gave me. course, we're talking 10" speakers vs. 12" speakers, so YMMV. oddly, with my sadowsky's onboard pre, that sadowsky sound didnt translate nearly as sweetly as my Acmes.

what was most impressive about the Accu was its throw. maybe its the extra tweeter and the 6" driver, but from the audience side with my friend borrowing the Accu 1x12 w/ the iAMP, the bass tones seemed to jump out very cleanly. no problems being heard under somewhat moderate circumstances.

but IME, and in my gigging needs, the true 1x12 leader is still my old Epifani 1x12UL. with minimal EQ'ing onstage, the Epi sits very fat in the mix, yet gives me a nice articulate upper end that i couldnt get enough of. not sure of how it projects into the audience, tho. in contrast, on stage at a recent gospel praise rehearsal, the Accu felt a tad buried, tho my friend remarked at how clear i sounded out in the audience.

still, that doesnt mean the tones were bad. in fact, i think what the Accu does best is present tube tones in the best possible light. not sure why it is, but it does a "mind meld" thing with my tube gear like no other 1x12 or cab for that matter that i've used.

with my Alembic F-1X / Stewart 1.2 combo, the accu gave up a naturally creamy buttery tone that so far is my fav in the "ss power amp" catagory. of all my pre's, it seemed to merge easier with the sadowsky onboard pre. the Demeter in the mix made for a much tighter yet very tubey sound, tho the top end wasnt as creamy as the alembic.

the DB680 / Stewart was great, too, especially with a few more EQ options at my disposal, but hearing the 680 coupled with my DB728 into the Accu was practically orgasmic! LOOK OUT!!! :eek: tone for days!!! quite possibly the most amazing tube tones i have ever heard. seems to suck up all that tubey goodness, and smack it right down on your plate like a big ol' dalloup of whip creme. oh lordy, soooo good that it makes me wanna run home and play all day. :hyper: can only imagine what a pair would sound like! much preferred over the Aguilar GS112, which have always felt a tad dark to me. not enough upper detail that the accu's bring out sooo effortlessly.

volume wise, about the same as most other 1x12's i've used, and more than enough to keep up with a moderately rimshot hammering drummer. did struggle a little bit, but as the old adage goes, all the more reason a pair would be a better bet.

low B wise, again, not nearly as punchie or as authoritative as my Acme B-1 pair, and yet, one of the more present feeling Low B's i've heard from a 1x12! sure, again, the acmes are 10" loaded, while the Accu's got its not so 12", but definitely, no disappearing act here. the EA might actually have a bit more low B heft and weight, but the Accu was no slouch. the Accu and EA so far have handled the low B with less farting than most other 1x12 cabs.

conclusion:

overall, i give the Accugroove Tri112 very high grades, and put it as one of the premier 1x12 cabs. make no mistake, its a monster compared to others on the market, and adding another for a rockin' pair has gotten me very GAS'ed. :ninja: mark and co. did their homework, and dangnabbit, they've got a real winner here. the comestic missteps were very annoying, but again, Mark's the man, and i have no doubts that he'd be there for me in the future.

again, cant wait to read about JPJ"s experience with this cab, and pick his brain a bit with his thoughts. :cool: and stay tuned for some pics!

2. Great review, joker! Very interesting.

3. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    Good info and thanks for the review.

4. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Have you tried the DB680 preamp with the Stewart power amp? I have this same combo, and would be interested in your impressions.

JD

5. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    joker,

thanks for the review! I'm very close to pulling the trigger on one of these. Just a few clarifications please... would you say that your cab is the exact same dimensions as the "sideways oriented" one shown at the AG site? thus, maybe Mark is just orientating the cab in a vertical fashion? same cab but with the handles and the front badge mounted differently?

When you say that the EA was "more weighty feeling in the low B" than the AG, do you mean the EA has a fuller bottom?

Thanks in advance for sharing!

6. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    yea, the dimensions are the same, just flipped sideways.

and my bad, 6" driver. too used to the acmes. ;)

as for the EA, it seems to have a more punchie feel for the low B. the Accu seems a tad shallower. course, both dont really compare to my B-1 pair.

and yes, i did try the DB680 / Stewart which sounded great, too. but oddly enough, i wasnt quite able to dial in the same kind of punch i get with my acmes which was a little frustrating. with the alembic, my sadowsky's onboard pre seemed to merge nicer with the pre and cab better.

i'll try and edit my review accordingly to clarify somethings.

7. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Nice review, Joker! Thanks. I can't wait for my 659 and 728 to come in so I can try them with my Accugroove cabs! I did try my new (to me) Mesa Strategy with my new (to me) Tri 208, and I agree that Accugroove cabs seem to really translate tube amps well.

Keep those reviews coming! ;)

8. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    oh crap, that's gonna rool like ozzy... :hyper:

9. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    :D

10. pjhandlin

pjhandlin Gold Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Great review!

Will you be trying a pair of the Tri112's anytime soon?

11. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Nice, joker. Thanks for the write-up! :cool:

I'm gigging the T-112 and HT112 this weekend, BTW, at Tom's suggestion. Can't wait to see how they handle the WWU and my Zon Legacy Elite 6. ;)

12. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    I look forward to hearing from you on Monday!

13. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Of course! Maybe even Sunday... :cool:

14. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Good review (but I'd have expected no less from such a gear junkie!) ;)

How would you say the Tri-112 compares to the Low-B1 pair in terms of firstly, maximum loudness, and secondly, maximum bass output?

Alex

15. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    hey alex,

no contest, the Tri112 is by far louder. but the little B-1 does have mucho low end for a little box, and a nice punch, too. again, its my fav small gig, lounge cab.

16. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    So would you say the Tri112 is as loud as your Low-B4?

Alex

17. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    not really, and cant possibly push out the same low end.

18. Feda

Feda Screwed up pitch

Jan 12, 2004
    Bergen, Norway
    Hey,
    thanks for the great review.
    I'm in the process of building my first rig. I just bought a Hughes & Kettner BC118, really liked how it treated my lowB. Now I'm on the lookouts for something that will do magic to the treble...
    Would a 1x12 like this do the job, or should I go with a 10?