Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Joker's New & Improved Mighty Mini Rig O' Joy

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jokerjkny, May 30, 2003.

1. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    yes yes y'all,

i am back with a new kick butt mini rig o' joy, and yes, virginia, it rocks...

[​IMG]

to be honest, i was very surprised by the AI Clarus. i bought it cause i was tired of carrying anything too bulky for a last minute pickup gig. and for some odd reason, i get alot of 'em. :rolleyes: but i still get mightly impressed by the ss tones of this little guy. good combo of power, nice warm tone, and super lightweight. its the biggest hidden secret from Raleigh, NC!

and tho, it sounds pretty nice to my ears thru the Epi ultralite 1x10's, out of curiousity, i added my trusty Demeter Tube DI thru the effects loop:

[​IMG]

...and wow! the Dem adds a refined feel with juicier mids and a sweet rounded low end. would you expect any less? ;)

i also like using my SIB FatDrive that i normally use for my guitars, and it gives an even fatter, warmer, furrier SVT like feel to the proceedings!

and how could i not mention the Epi Ultralites? they each weigh 22 lbs. 22 frickin' lbs.! that's a full briefcase, or a bag of groceries, or a full backpack of books, NOT a bass cab.

but, sheesh, do they sound righteous. the 10" speakers punch thru whatever's in your way. and, no matter the preamp or head, everything just sounds soooo good. the sweet top end clarity and midrange detail they give my Elrick is unsurpassed.

anywho, took this rig tonight to an r&b, neo-soul band that i've been asked to help out with, and no shortage of volume here. my tone was tight, round, juicy, and detailed.

later, the guitarist, drummer, and i hung around for some late night rockin' out, and it kept up ok with the louder than crack drummer. not exactly loud enough for me, but all the more reason, i should save up my pennies for that Epi Ultralite 4x10. :p

didnt hurt that i carried (yes, carried, no need for the silly cart anymore!) the whole thing on and off the bus, subway, whathaveyou, without breaking a sweat.

moral of the story? if you want big tone, in a small package, look no further than a pair of Epifani Ultralites, and a nice Clarus. your ears, back, drummer, bandleader, whatever will thank you!

2. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Cool system, Joker. I wish I could hear it.

Congratulations.

3. The old Clarus is so much better-looking.

:D

4. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    i call dibs on the epi's when you eventually sell em';)

5. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    lol,

i am no longer the "FunkyC", but the "Jared" of the Amp Forum... ;)

6. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    I'll race ya? Your Epi's and Clarus against my WW Ultra and EA CXL110's. Title for title?[​IMG]
    Just kidding. Nice rig!:bassist:

7. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Very sweet Joker! This Eden I got from you sounds wonderful...and if that sounds better..it must be KILLER! congrats

8. Daytona

Daytona

Apr 26, 2003
    Jae, that looks really great. I can't wait to get my UL210 - 2 more weeks!!

Steve (formerly "tworock")

9. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    :eek: That is a SWEET-ass rig, Joker! Congrats! I'm sending you a PM in a minute...I have a couple of questions.

-Aram

10. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    No! No! Nooooooooooooo!

11. Joker,

Nice looking rig, man. Can I go check it out sometime next week? :) Let me know when you're available.

12. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    Nice rig...
    Yo Mr. Scarlet you gotta check out my new rig first :D or just bring down your amp until I can afford one :p

13. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Nice photos, Joker!

Oh, and the rig is pretty nice, too. ;) :D

I am digging my T-110UL very hard, as well, though it does make me wish that my T-112 was an ultra light model, too.

Tom.

My Epifani Mini Rig:

[​IMG]

14. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    How much them T110ULs go for these days?

15. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    I'm honestly not sure how much my T-110UL cost me since it was part of a package deal (with some cables & covers involved as well), but I got mine from Low Down Sound (www.lowdownsound.com), and I am sure that they would be willing to quote you a price.

Tom.

16. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    How'd they make this so light?

17. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

"MINI?!?!"

I imagine that moves much air!!!

18. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    To the best of my understanding, they accomplish this through a combination of neodynium drivers and lighter poplar plywood.

Tom.

19. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    Joker,

My criminal partner in equipment abuse! I played through one of those with a speaker (combo) & without. I almost bought it but I'd rather hold out for the new Epi pre (if it ever makes it) to use with the rest of my sub-sonic gear. Great sounding stuff, must kick with your set up, that Elrick is gourgeous you have.

Let me know (PM me) when you're doing any local gigs (big/small) & if I'm in the neighborhood, I'll stop by for a drink!

later,
    EL DIABLO

20. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    uh, a left pinky?

sike! but it did cost me a good deal. i've since sold a few of my cabs to some very deserving TB members, and used the funds accordingly.

Steve,

it'll be well worth the wait. you'll only want another to go with it. hehe...

Cheese,

NP, bro! thanks again for your business. glad you're diggin' it.

Boi,

where's Newtown? sounds really familiar!

Dev,

what combo did you use it with? but when i get word of my gigs in June, you'll be first to know!

NMB,

by far, your rig rocks! but now, all you need now are some Epifani cabs to go with the WW. hehe... or, of course, you could always "loan" me one of your 3 WW's, and then i'd REALLY have the ULTIMATE... :p

and thx for the comments guys, i've got a few new prospectively steady gigs, and hopefully, they'll all pan out, so, lots of NYC TB'ers will come, and help pay off the rent money i used to get the Epi's.

tom,

at the shop yesterday, i got a peek at a few of the newer 12" ultralite cabs, and they were like picking up styrofoam boxes. Nick hasnt quite perfected the 12" speakers yet, but he says he's very close. wish he'd hurry up, dangnabbit! :p

oh yea, and about the rig, keep in mind folks, the Clarus' lower wattage rating does seem to make my LowB fart out the tweeter in the higher wattage Epi's. if i turn the tweeter off, i can slam the Clarus near to full throttle, but of course, i lose all that airy goodness, and the speaker itself starts going crazy. again, guys, for the lower watt gigs, so dont be taking it to your next metal jam, with your 22 piece, 20x24 bass using, crack swinging drummer. perfect for that neo-soul groove, worship Sundays, singer/songwriters @ the Living Room, and that stray jazz gig.

but, when i first went testing the Epi ultralites, i used my Kern IP777 / Stewart 1.2 rack, and they shot back like a pair of cannons. i guess slam enough headroom/wattage into the Epi's and they'll bark right back.