JOLANA BASSO IX questions

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by paultma, Jul 24, 2018.

1. paultma

paultma

Jan 5, 2016
    Just acquired this bass. Does anyone know what the correct length of strings one of these requires? It's about 33" from nut to ball end and 30"-31" to saddles. (note sure how to read this.)

37105195_501530640303360_4883231305627598848_n.jpg
    Also, need to find replacement machine heads.
    Would any 2L 2R bass machine heads do the job?
    The previous owner just put regular guitar ones on as a temporary measure.

ruobcp.jpg
    zxjfoo.jpg
    30csgw6.jpg

2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Short scale strings should fit. Not sure what to do with the tuners, real bass tuners would require drilling new larger holes.

3. paultma

paultma

Jan 5, 2016
    I'm not an expert - which why I'm asking on this forum - but I would have thought this is not short scale at all?

Very keen to not waste my money on the wrong length strings.

4. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    30" scale is short scale for a bass - normal length is 34" from nut to bridge saddle.

5. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Measure from the ball end to the taper. That's the point on the string where it gets narrow past the nut. Ideally that point should be between the nut and the tuning post on the E string. That's the length of string you need. "long" "short" and "medium" mean different things to each manufacturer.

To figure out what tuners you need, measure the holes in the headstock. That will tell you what size tuner will fit without modification.

6. Do what @lz4005 said an measure the strings. 30” is short scale but the tailpiece being out behind the bridge may mean that you need longer strings.

Any actual bass tuners will require drilling some holes. I’m pretty sure those tuner posts are going to be smaller than any bass tuners out there but I could be wrong.

7. paultma

paultma

Jan 5, 2016
    OK, the length of the G string looks like about 39.5". I can't be certain if the previous owner put the correct length of strings on though, as you can see how bunched up and overlapping they were in this photo from before I removed any:
    2ir8yh0.jpg
    I've read it would be unwise to trim longer flatwounds down due to an issue with the strings potentially unravelling, or does this only apply to those with whatever you call the wrapping material?

8. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
  9. paultma

paultma

Jan 5, 2016
    Thanks for the recommendation, but I'm on a tight budget and the their tuners I found to be almost as much as I paid for the bass itself. (£96)

10. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    I suspect those are the original tuners - if it had had actual bass tuners on it, the holes would be larger. If they work well enough, I would leave it alone. (But if they slip, well, they gotta go.)

11. Here they talk about finding the winding length you need for your strings:

Finding the correct string length for your electric bass from BassStringsOnline.

And here’s a chart with some of the more popular strings and their winding length:

Electric Bass String Winding Lengths by Manufacturer from BassStringsOnline.com

If you keep those tuners, and, as long as thy work there’s no reason not to, you will want to check your string lengths because I suspect the wound part of the thicker strings may not fit through those tuner posts.

bholder likes this.
  12. paultma

paultma

Jan 5, 2016
    Here is what the original listing said:

One of the original bass machine heads was faulty, so I had to quickly source a replacement set. The machine heads now on the guitar are not proper bass ones and will need replacing. Somewhere on the internet is a suitable set of 4, in keeping with the age and style of the guitar. I didn't have time to find them!

Sure enough, when I received the bass, it was downtuned vastly and I could not get the E string to tune to standard while the other strings had to be tuned very slowly to get there. I decided to remove both the E and G strings to alleviate pressure and to measure. Needless to say, those tuners were not up to the task.

Personally, I would like to get a chrome set which are priced as low as possible while still being up to the task.

bholder likes this.
  13. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    The original tuners were probably no great loss, then. Good luck finding new ones! Just did a quick google search, something like these might work: Set of 4 Universal Chrome 2x2 Tuners - 2x2 Bass Guitar Machine Heads Tuning Keys

14. paultma

paultma

Jan 5, 2016

I'll need to find a similar set from the UK where I'm based, but thanks. I presume it's essential for the new heads to match the holes - can't new holes wider than the original be created, or is that a bad idea?

15. paultma

paultma

Jan 5, 2016
    Also, the string length is confusing to me as I wonder if the set of 39.5" roundwounds that were on the bass when I got it were perhaps a touch too long? (see photograph upthread)

16. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Yeah, you'll almost certainly have to widen the holes, but measure them first. Making holes larger is easier than making them smaller, at least! ;)

paultma likes this.
  17. sissy kathy

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Yes, bigger holes can be drilled. Before you do that look for some used Hofner bass tuners. Hofner uses a tuning machine very similar to those you have on there now.

bholder likes this.
  18. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    That might have been part of the tuning problem, you don't want the fat part of the string wrapped around the tuners, just the thinner "leader" part.

19. paultma

paultma

Jan 5, 2016
    Thanks. My intention is to pay someone else to do the setup for me so hopefully all I need is the correct tuners and strings.

20. sissy kathy

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 31, 2021