Jon Brant: The OTHER Trickster

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Winston TK, Jan 28, 2004.

1. Winston TK

Winston TK Hairpiece Adventurer

Oct 8, 2001
    Burnaby, BC Canada
    During his absence from Cheap Trick, Tom Peterssen was replaced by at least two bassists: Pete Comita and Jon Brant.

Many claim that the essence of CT was substantially different during this era (early- to mid- 80's). However, I find that the playing, at least, is quite competent.

I read recently that on the album "One On One", it was actually Rick Nielsen that handled all the bass guitar duties, and not Jon Brant (who appears on the cover and credits). Is this correct?

What do you Cheap Trick fans think of Tom's replacements during this period?

Thanks in advance for any replies.
  2. JB Lars

JB Lars

May 24, 2000
    Chicago Suburbs
    IIRC, Pete was a touring member only for the "All Shook Up" shows, Rick played bass on "One On One" (like you read), and Jon joined just in time to get his photo on the cover of that album.

That said, though I prefer Tom Petersson, I like Jon Brant just fine. As a matter of fact, "I Can't Take It" contains my favorite Trick bassline, as well as one of my favorite basslines PERIOD. So even though CT changed during the 80s, I don't think Jon had much to do with it. I mean, the albums were still a little bit lacking even after Tom's return, so there's all the proof one needs.

Long story short: I like Jon Brant. I love Tom Petersson. It's ALL good when there's a Trick disc in the player. :)