1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Jon Lord, which Marshall amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Duke21, Jan 20, 2012.

1. Duke21

Duke21

Nov 14, 2010
    Narvik, Norway
    Hi there TB friends.
    A bit strange question to ask on a bass forum... but the knowledge base here is amazing, so I might find an answer here.
    I was not sure were to post this question buy I guess that I'm asking about an amp, so the amp forum will be OK.

So, do you guys knows which Marshall combo Jon Lord used in his days at Deep Purple? And which Marshall combo will give the closest tone, connected to a proper Hammond of course! :)

2. Hi.

Combo?

AFAIK he used Marshall Majors and 412 cabs, just as Blackmore and possibly Glover at some point as well.

They had about 20 of those babies (Majors that is, much more cabs) on tour at any given time, so it would make sense even though I don't remember where I saw that (The Classic Rock Records TV sries??).

Regards
    Sam

3. Duke21

Duke21

Nov 14, 2010
    Narvik, Norway
    I've asked if it was a combo because in some YT video when he talked about his sound there is a Marshall combo. But I guess you are right, back then it probably was a Marshall stack.
    A keyboard player I know wants to connect his Hammond to a Marshall amp to obtain the Jon Lord sound. Will this Marshall combo do it:
    Sound1.com - Marshall MA-100C

He wants a combo due to space issues etc.

4. Ricnroll

Ricnroll

Dec 30, 2010
    Vancouver, B.C.

5. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Any amp that can get some distortion going will work, and after that, it's a matter of taste. I've done it with Marshalls, Fenders, Ampegs...as a matter of fact, my SVT used to belong to the organ player in Iron Butterfly. Might have to worry about getting too loud with the lowest notes if you use a small combo, but you can do it with just about anything that'll distort.

6. hwystar

hwystar

Jan 30, 2009
    I saw that video also and was blown away at the sound he had out of that combo. Hope you find out what it is.

7. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Haven't seen the video but it may have been a JTM45 or other, 30, 60, etc. I don't even know if those were out then or if that was used but I do know it'll sound great with one......like those combo's.

8. D.M.N.

D.M.N. (O)))) Supporting Member

Oct 6, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Maybe try a Model 1962 combo or something in that vein. Personally, my vote would be a 1987 model (I'd go with the 1987 Lead version over the 1986 Bass version for higher gain) head with a cab, maybe 2x12. That would allow him more headroom and to have the ability to get louder if the need arises. I personally prefer having separate head and cab, find it easier than moving a combo, but YMMV.

9. supershifter2

supershifter2

Apr 22, 2014
    SoCal
    Old thread i came across on the web. Jon used a plexi and a major and then around 1988 Jon started using a Marshall JCM800 4212 Combo amp. Its a 2205 50watt head in a small cabinet with two Celestion G12T-75 speakers. there was a youtube video of him talking about it but its been restricted and not allowed to be seen in the USA anymore. Heres a foto of Jon Lords amp.

P.S. I have 3 of the JCM800 2205 heads and full stacks. If you put the volume control on 2 you need to use earplugs. Put it on 5 and the neighbors down the street call the cops. The foto of the full stack is mine and yes I bought them specifically to plug a chopped Hammond B3 into.

Attached Files:

10. blastbass

blastbass Banned

Mar 8, 2016
    bombay
    Watch making of Classic albums Deep Purple Machine Head.