Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jon Maron of Groove Collective

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Drone, Jun 25, 2001.

1. Are there any other big fans of Jonathan Maron of Groove Collective? I love how he uses some relatively cheap basses to get some cool bass sounds...Proof that it's all in your hands. Listening to the band, it's quite clear that he drives the sound with really cool grooves...Bassists can't help but dig his ultra-cool line in "Everything is Changing", or his double-tracked slapped bass line in octaves on "Ocean Floor"...And even though you wouldn't think of a guy like him laying down a beautiful bass solo, There's the amazing one in "Fly"...The guy even throws down some wicked keyboard bass, switching to bass guitar within the same song on "Winner"...Check it out.

2. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I really like Maron & GC; I haven't picked up their latest, yet...I've read/been told that the band has scaled down some. True?
    BTW, another band that's kinda/sorta similiar is Liquid Soul(bassist Ricky Showalter has it down, too).

3. Hey

I'm a big an of the GC. Jon has some really cool grooves (particularly on tales of the drunken master - I think that's what it's called). This is what acid jazz is all about. C-YA. Keep Groovin

Ben

4. I have wanted to check them out. What is a cool CD to get from GC?
    Someone said they sound similar to Liquid Soul, whats a good CD for them?

5. I believe that they have so far put out five CDs. Of the three that I have: "We the People"- kinda 'acid-jazzy'. "Declassified"-this is the first of theirs that I got and it really blew me away. Some really cool disco funk, some latin, Probably my favorite(so far). And their latest "It's All in your Mind"-A new direction for the group. Less members, horn section cut from 4 to 2, etc. Really cool nonetheless...Hopefully someone else can commect on the other albums...

6. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Liquid Soul-
    ...I have 3, Liquid Soul, Make Some Noise, & Here's The Deal; any of the three will do, I probably prefer the latter two. BTW, some of the tracks are LIVE & you'd never know it.

The Groove Collective-
    ...I have 2, Groove Collective & We The People; I wasn't aware of Declassified, I guess I'll have to pick that one up as well as thier newest.

7. Hey guys

I checked up the name of my favourite Groove Collective album and it's called 'Dance of the Drunken Master'. IMO it's got some of the best grooves on it, not to mention a nice little bass solo on the first tune. Defintely worth checking out (I'll also have to get the new one 'It's all in your mind'). Anyway gotta go, C-ya and keep groovin.

Ben

8. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel
    I also like Groove Collective. I downloaded some of their tracks (Floatin', Caterpillar, I Want You) at the beginning of the year and kept looking for their cds all over town ever after but couldn't find.
    only in april when I was in the Netherlands I managed to find the "I'ts all In Your Mind" album in some basement store in Harlem and bought it after 3 minutes of listening.

unfortunatly none of the chain stores had a single cd by GC so my search after more of that Groove Collective flavor continues.

9. Hey Groove fans

All the albums are available @ CDNow (as is Liquid Soul - Thanks Jim). Enjoy, C-Ya.

Ben

10. BassGuyNL

BassGuyNL

Jul 20, 2000
    The Netherlands
    Apparently nobody mentioned his (IMHO) greatest work: the "Earth & Heaven" CD by the Repercussions, and a CD by British band Raw Stylus (forgot the title, but the single "Believe in me" almost made it to the charts in Holland).

11. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    I saw GC in San Francisco a few months ago and was blown away. Jonathan Maron is a badass player-he's got righteous grooves to keep the people dancing and a great balance between tasteful pocket playing and way-out shredding. I was amazed at how articulate he was-he got a wide variety of sounds from a pretty simple setup (passive Yamaha basses, a few pedals, and a rented amp).

I saw Liquid Soul at the SXSW festival in Austin a few years ago and while they were impressive, they were almost too tight and polished to be truly funky, IMHO. I always prefer the stuff that's a little rough around the edges.

12. jazzbass72

jazzbass72

Jun 26, 2003
    New York, NY
    Jonathan Maron is one of the grooviest bassists out there... I never miss a Groove Collective show, or his own shows as a bandleader here in NYC. Check out his stellar playing on GC's new CD "People People Music Music".

-Marco

13. gkbass13

gkbass13 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2006
    Evanston, IL
    gc is a killer group! i bought oen of their best of cd's a few years ago at a used cd store....amazingly groovy bass playing to say the least.

14. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    great stuff.... one of those bands I dig and always seem to forget about. I'm gonna listen to them some now :bassist:

thanks for reminding me!

15. jazzbass72

jazzbass72

Jun 26, 2003
    New York, NY
    Make sure you check out Jonathan's MySpace here
    ...that bass line on "Wish you well" is something else!

-Marco

16. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I am a big fan of Jonathon Maron too. I love the one album he did witha group called the Repercussions. That was around 1994 or so. I also have the best of Groove Collective.

I have to say Maron doesn't use cheap basses, he uses obscure basses with little resale value. Basses like Hagstrom, Yamaha, and Guild are alll very high quality, but can be had for very little money.

17. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Longtime love for the Groove Collective here! There is a double live CD from Brooklyn that has some extra grease from Jonathan on it. It's on the very hip Kufala lable.

18. Funkzfly

Funkzfly

Jun 15, 2005
    I really like Jonathan's playing. Proof that all you need from a setup is minimal.

19. kipsus

kipsus Physicist

Sep 18, 2005
    Vilnius, Lithuania
    Recently saw him playing live. Totally kicks ass. Simple but sooo tasty :bassist:

20. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I'll second Dr Cheese's recommendation of The Repercussions to the Maron canon, great stuff!!!:bassist: