Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jon Packard's Contributions

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by Damon Rondeau, Apr 13, 2004.

1. Damon Rondeau

Damon Rondeau Journeyman Clam Artist Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2002
    Winnipeg, baby
    Just to remind us that the USAF doesn't fugue around, pacman has posted a couple of awesome big band tracks featuring some extremely slamming horn arrangements. One of the tracks updates a little old JS Bach ditty. Don't miss it!

2. I just tried to play both of the tracks, and the first one played at slow motion speed and the second came up with an invalid URL. If the problem isn't at my end, please repost them.

3. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Hey, thanks Bob! I'm not sure if we're doing this ala Johnson Chronicles or not, and I know that this wouldn't qualify, but I'm always looking to improve. Ed, Chris, anyone else - your opinions and comments are appreciated...

4. Hey jon,
    if THAT doesn´t qualify, I don´t know what does...
    nice work, man. And a killer band.

R2

PS. I was gonna post a cut to Damien´s site, but your
    cuts gave me second thoughts....

5. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Too late, dude. I was gonna send a copy of the CD. Unless you REALLY don't want me to. But the record sounds good, you shoont be worried about nothing.

6. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    NICE, Pacster. I'm listening to the Bach thing right now, big sound, great tone, intonation, nice feel.

Good job.

7. Do it, man.
    Jon´s cuts just scared the **** out of me.

R2

8. No kidding. Would it be so bad to post a couple tunes that kind of suck? Make the rest of us feel a little better?

All the tracks are GREAT! I think I'm warming up to this dsl thing. What a pleasure to turn on the computer.

Thanks again to all involved with this project. I am digging it.

9. Pacman

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Thanks guys! Don't kill yourselves patting me on the back - some criticism (via PM :) ) would be nice...

10. Pacman

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Go ahead guys, light me up. I'm interested in any and all comments that will help me improve.

11. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Nothing to light up, man. It's sounding good. One of the things that I was talking to R2 about was the way you keep a good propulsive thing going by just playing unembellished quarters in your walking line. I dunno how much was written and how much was improvised from chord changes, but nice and solid.

Got any small group stuff you want to put up? Or send out privately?

12. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    Jon,

I've got to say that as the only contributor to this project besides Ed that I've heard in person, you REALLY impressed me. I had a hard time reconciling what I heard on that recording vs. what I heard 2 summers ago at Lynn Seaton's workshop. Whatever you are doing, keep it up because you are making some really good strides.

I know this isn't really critical, but I'm not much in a critical mood, so I'll listen another day and see if I can come up with something for ya.... ;)

Monte

13. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    Here are some of the comments I sent Jon on April 15th, posted with his permission.

---

Nice sounding band. Damn, they don’t lag on that horns-only soli . . . must be that military training . . .

And I know that you have not been at The Big Bass for too long. You’re knocking me out, Pac. It’s all there. I’m proud to have my tax dollar supporting your work. (Especially today – ouch!)

----

You asked for constructive criticism, so here’s a bit on the topic of rhythmic tricks in walking lines – eighth-notes and triplets.

Your 8th-note pull-offs seem to all be on and-of-2 and and-of-4. Some exercises I’ve used:

1) On the G and D strings, Bb-gah-B-gah-C-gah-B-gah repeated ad nauseum at different tempos just to make sure all three fingers are pulling-off smoothly

2) Walk through a tune with a “gah” on the and of beat 1 of every bar. Then beat 2. Etc.

There’s some similar exercises for triplet-rakes:

3) Walk through a tune with a triplet on beat 1 of every bar, then beat two etc.

3a) Then eighth-note grace on beat 1 into a triplet on beat 2 of every bar, then beat 2 into 3, etc.

4) Again as an exercise, land NO triplet on the tonic. 7th, 9th and 5th are good alternative candidates. I’ve found that this can really add a lot of momentum to my lines (if not over-used of course).

------

I hope this doesn’t get under your skin – you’re playing great . .

14. Pacman

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Guys,

Damon has been gracious enough to host the whole CD for me, at least for a while. The masters are done, and product is on the street, but it ain't easy to get 'em out of our shop. So consider it an under the table gift.

There's electric and upright on it, and I'd still love to hear everyone's comments. Watch the space, I sent the tunes to Damon a few minutes ago.

15. Damon Rondeau

Nov 19, 2002
    Winnipeg, baby
    Jon's work is up, and mighty fine it is, too.

Get it while it's hot.

16. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    Jon's a great player, i have seen him live as well!

:)

17. I'm getting a "plug-in error" when I try to play it. I've checked other tunage from the same site (mine actually) and those MP3s are OK… Damon - what am I doing wrong?

- Wil

PS: here's a pic of the error box:

18. Damon Rondeau

Nov 19, 2002
    Winnipeg, baby
    Interesting...

It appears as if Jon's MP3 tracks are (further) distinguished insofar as they are encoded with the Fraunhofer Professional ACM codec. Leastways, that's the only thing I can see that makes them different from the others.

My media players -- Zinf and Windows Media Player 10 -- happen to support the codec. I'm guessing, Wil, that yours doesn't and that's what it's squawking about?

19. I tried a different player, and all seems to work OK - nice job, Jon! J S Bach & Cole Porter - two of my favourite composers! Great sound - nicely recorded!

- Wil