Jon Reshard, the Next Jaco??

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by IAMERICCOCHRANE, Mar 21, 2003.

1. Have you guys ever heard of the 17-year old Virtuoso Jon Reshard. This Kid is amazing, He has Chops like Victor Wooten and A musical sense only compared to Jaco Himself. Ive had the honor of hearing this kid live and WOW! I never knew a 17 year old had such musical ability. I read his Short Biography and it said He was able to play "Donna Lee" by the age of 8, 8 YEARS OLD!!! Well just want to hear your guy's opinion on him, if you have heard of him, He did Perform at NAMM for anyone that was there. Peace.
  2. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    I've never heard him, but it's generally the kiss of death to call someone "the next (insert legendary bassist/racecar driver/whatever)". Hopefully he won't live in anybody's shadow, if he's really that good.
  3. d_rock211

d_rock211 Guest

Apr 29, 2002
    Kansas City
    I heard he's supposed to be pretty smokin. The only time I've ever heard him is the low quality mp3 of him on his website.
    Hopefully he can keep around a positive crowd and not burn himself out prematurely.
  4. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001
    I've heard him and no, he's not the next Jaco. He's ok for his age but has a very immature style. He's clearly influenced by Victor and needs to move on. He may be good one day but that day isn't now. He is, however, a very nice kid. Donna Lee is not and never was a song too difficult to play. What was so great about it when Jaco recorded it, was that it had never been done before in that manner with an electric bass. The fact that Jaco did it so effortlessly and conveyed so much emotion made it over the top.
  5. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Yeah...that and jaco's solo on "donna lee" is smoking while still keeping true to the songs format.

Wooten taught himself to play "Portrait of Tracy" when he was ike 8 or 9.

Just listened to the audio clip on his site....he's got mad chops, but I might as well be listening to victor wooten, this kid isn't doing anything new, just playing like wooten....seriously...this guy sounds just like wooten, As I sit here listening to it...Vic always does certain licks and riffs, and this kid is doing them too....I'm impressed, but not floored.....this kid has a future though, that's for sure...since he is only 17 and his name is circulating the biz.....wish I could say the same :(
  6. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    There will not be a next Jaco.
  7. I dont mean next Jaco as in Jaco's shadow, but as a bassist who takes the bass to another level, such as Jaco did. I know he is kinda immature in his style but to be this good at only 17, he can only get better. Maybe I should change the name of the thread to "Jon Reshard, the next bass innovator?"
  8. Are you serious? You may be a better bassist than me or have alot more experience but Donna Lee is not an easy song in the least IMO. Ive listened to it and had my jaw dropped by it every single time. It would be the life of me to actually get that song down. But to say its not too difficult, man u must have some skills.
  9. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    See that's an interesting topic...if he is this good now, he can only get better right?

not necessarily, if he gets caught up in the attention he's getting, and doesn't practice, and hangs on the coat-tails of his prior accomplishments(like jaco did) then he will not get any better...he will just become old news.

his site says that he still practices a lot, which is good...he has skills, and the only way he will improve on those skills is to practice.

I wouldn't call him an innovator at all, his playing highly mimics victor wooten's style...and until I hear a recording where he truly does something new and groundbreaking, that's my opnion.
  10. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    "Donna Lee is an easy song to play.", said the virtuoso.
    That song KILLS me! Also, Jaco did it in ONE take! :eek:
  11. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I don't find donna lee that challenging either....just take it one step at a time and slowly..ya know?

the song that is really busting my butt now is "chromatic fantasy"...I'm almost done with it, I just have to solidify what I know, and polish it.
  12. zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    Ahhh, c'mon now, the guy's not even good enough to play more than four strings. ;)
  13. :rolleyes: Please be sarcastic or I will have to kill myself...
  14. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Well I went to the site and listened to his clip and I have to say I was totally underwhelmed. In fact I thought it was kind of crappy. But he was 14 so for that age he was probably pretty good even though he started at 5. I guarantee you after I've been playing for nine years I should be able to blow the doors off that since I can pretty much play it anyway and I've only been playing for six months.

And yeah he sounds like a Vic rip but he WAS trying to play a vic solo so maybe he's not. But the dude even plays Vic's bass! I mean come on...he looks like he just wants to be Vic (influenced by Vic, goes to Vic's nature camp, buys his bass, plays his solo's)...boring...

Just my .02

Edit: I just saw in his pic section he even does his HAIR like Vic's!!

Moving on...
  15. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

After working on it for 9 years.
    I'd be very curious to hear Peter Parker's impression of Donna Lee. :rolleyes:
  16. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001
    Why would you doubt that I can play it? There are a lot of really good bass players on this site that can play it. I can play as fast and clean as you will hear and that has afforded me the ability to play things like DL but unfortunately having great chops doesn't mean great song writer. My chops and technique are very strong but you never will hear of me because I can't write an interesting tune to save my life. I have a deep working knowledge of theory and know music but beyond being able to groove well and solo efficiently I can't say I'm adding anything to bassworld.
    I know a ton of 17 year old players that are as good or better than Reshard but I don't believe any of them will change the face of bass. jaco didn't change the bass world on technique alone but with great composition and a totally unique style. Technique will do nothing to further the bass, therefore, to say someone with good technique will be the next anything is ridiculous.
  17. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

I don't doubt a second that you can play it.
    I did too.
    Now, saying it's an easy peace sound VERY pretentious.
    It means that either you completely missed the point or you're a true music genious.
    In both cases, I remain curious to hear it.
  18. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

perhaps you didn't notices the ;)

I thought Wrong Robot was suppose to be the next Jaco :confused:
  19. Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    screw waiting around for "the next jaco."

No offense to anyone, but I am sick of it.

It is like everyone waiting around for "the next Jordan." And some poor kid comes along and gets tagged with "the next" label.

There is never going to be another Jaco P or another MJ. What they did cannot be duplicated.

I just want to hear the next great thing.
  20. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    the next wooten, then? :D personally, i can't stand donna lee...granted, there's lotsa chops and great technique...but it just sounds boring...oh yeah, i can't play it either...