Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jonas Hellborg -Abstract Logic

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Josh Ryan, Mar 17, 2002.

1. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    W/ Kofi Baker and Shaun Lane, both excellent as well. Not as good as Temporal Analouges of Paradise (my favorite), but very good all the same. If you like what Hellborg is doing on Time is the Enemy or Good People.... you would probably like this CD.

2. 6-stringer

6-stringer Guest

Feb 5, 2000
    Roanoke,VA
    Who is this guy? We are playing a gig with him on april 20th. I hear he's a pretty respected player.

3. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    You lucky (bass)tard. :D:D;) Seriously, check him out, he's quite good. -Not a chops only guy either, the composition holds up IMO.

4. 6-stringer

6-stringer Guest

Feb 5, 2000
    Roanoke,VA
    I'll do it. I accually heard one of his tunes a while back on the college radio station here. It was bass, and a smokin' tabla player. Pretty interesting stuff.
    Is there a website I can check out?

5. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    he did some pretty wacky stuff with his schack 10 string when he was with mahavishnu orchestra...awesome guy

6. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    http://bardorecords.com/

7. maxvalentino

maxvalentino Endorsing Artist Godin Guitars/ Thomastik-Infeld

Jonas is awesome. I saw him, for the first time quite a few years back. He was with Mahavishnu, and did a solo chordal bass thing that flipped me out. I had been trying to come up with a chordal approach for some time....seeing him really lit my fire! Because of Jonas I went on to develop some chordal techniques and become a solo bassist. I later got to see him a few times with McLaughlin in a duo setting....most inspiring!
    All of his stuff is worth checking out, but esp. the latest things ("Good People In Time Of Evil" with Shawn Lane and SelvaGanesh..that awesome table player you spoke of.. and the brand new one "Personae" with Jeff Sipe and Shawn Lane, which is live in Germany and mostly improvised as a trio.) The interplay on "Personae" is truely amazing.
    My affinity for ABGs can also be traced to Mr. Hellborg and his Wechter...
    I envy you doing a gig him. He is a most amazing player, and very DEEP composer.
    Max

8. 6-stringer

6-stringer Guest

Feb 5, 2000
    Roanoke,VA
    Yep-I'm pretty intimidated. Turns out the guy is a pretty hard hitter. Hopefully I'll be able to soak some of it in.

9. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    when did he play with mahavishnu?

he's is a killer player though. I have "e", and it's great.

10. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
  11. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I'll second the nod towards Personae! Those guys just smoke on that disc! Jeff Sipe sounds stronger than ever.....man I love his playing!

12. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    Why does he call himself an Apt #? Apt Q-256 or something?

13. oozon

oozon

Aug 11, 2001
    Sweden, Malmo
    Jonas has recorded three solo bass albums of which I own Elegant Punk from way back in the early eighties and Silent Life which is quite amazingly performed on his Wechter. Chord-melody, improvisation and thunderous slapping all on the ABG. Check it out.