Jonas Reingold

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by JazzV, Dec 6, 2003.

1. JazzV

Feb 27, 2001
    Last week I received my copy of the new Flower Kings DVD. All I can say is WOW! I already own their cd's, but the DVD really opened my eyes :eek: to how talented this group is. I was really blown away by the rhythm section, especially bassist Jonas Reingold. He's a very strong presence in the group, very solid and fun to watch. He really seems to be in his element when the band is playing some of their more jazzy lines. I was really most impressed with his playing on "Garden of Dreams", "The Truth will set you Free", and "Silent Inferno" (especially the bass solo section). What stunned me even more is that he didn't play some fancy boutique bass, but instead played a Yamaha four and an (to my eyes) unidentifiable LINED fretless four which kind of looked like some sort of hybrid jazz bass. What a shame that this guy isn't better known in the U.S. Of course, the prog revival hasn't really taken hold here anyway, unfortunately.

You just can't go wrong with this DVD if you're a prog fan, and I think it's a great lesson for how a band should work together musically. Very cool!! :cool:
  2. I bought The Flower Kings’, "Unfold the Future" about a month ago and Reingold’s bass playing jumped out right from the beginning. He has a definite Jaco vibe but still sounds very original.

Coincidentally, I just got The Tangent’s, "The Music That Died Alone" yesterday and, while I’ve only had a chance to listen to the CD once, Reingold sounds great on that recording as well.
  3. Great band. I only have on cdr of them. Can you guys recommend any of their cd's?
  4. relayer66

Oct 10, 2002
    Miura, Japan
    They don't have any really bad ones but some are better than others. My favorite is "Unfold the Future". I think they really hit a peak there. Kind of Topographic Oceans meets Miles Davis. Most of their albums have some mediocre filler, as if they try to pack every idea onto an album whether it is good or bad (some of it is always brilliant and some...ugh)...Also good are "Retropolis" (very consistent) and, "Flower Power" (lots of filler on that one but some of their best moments too), and with Jonas Reingold, "Space Revolver". I think their most famous "Stardust We Are" is a bit overrated. Jonas is a great bass player, goes from Jaco to Squire type playing in the blink of an eye. Keep in mind this band wears its influences on its sleeve, and even though they have their own sound, a lot of times they end up paying tribute to Genesis and can take the titles of the most famous prog bands' songs and albums, do a Burroughs style cut-up, and you can arrive at all their lyrics in this fashion.
  5. janek65

Apr 7, 2005
    If you like Reingold, listen to his 'own' band Karmakanic.
    That is sooo cool. Jonas rules :)