Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

jondog is a great guy (or... things are looking better for me)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by James Hart, Sep 21, 2003.

1. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    OK!!!! I met fellow TBer and his wife today. They delivered to me a car they gave me free :eek:

For those of you that don't know/remember... I was down sized just prior to joining TB and have been working no more then Part Time since I started (hence the non supporting status, I've always offered to help other ways and Paul found me a spot helping till Cassanova gets himself back online). I was doing some handy work at the in-laws during 7-2002 and found myself in the hospital having my foot reattached (12" long metal plate and 13 screws)and spent a few months stuck in bed.

I've just recently took a retail job at a local Staples and am borrowing a car to get to work and shop since I blew the front main seal on my 85 Volvo. With all the other "little" things it has wrong, I've no desire to fix it. I made a comment in jondog's "mobile hard case with rubber casters" thread in classified about needing to replace my car, but I'd nothing to trade... I really posted to state I saw no wrong in offering a car for trade against gear in TB classified ;)

Anyway, Jon PMed me a week or so later asking if I wanted the 1980 Zephyr he has sitting... FOR FREE! it needs some work that he wasn't looking to do to make it worth selling and he'd read my car was shot. I accepted and we talked on how to get it moved. I was going to talk to a friend with a flatbed this weekend to get it towed to me, but he asked what my plans were for today because he'll just drive it down!!!!

:bassist: Jon, you and your wife both Kick @ss!

My wife LOVES the car! "It's so cute and retro".

Thanks again Jon

2. That was extremly nice of him. Glad to know good people still exist.

3. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Ouch, that had to hurt. At least you had plenty of time to practice bass! :p That's what I did after my surgery. Doesn't explain my lack of chops tho. :( :bassist:

4. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Wow, it's great to hear about random acts of kindness like that!

5. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    Hey thats a really nice story. Very generous of jondog. Glad that Amy's enjoying the new car!

6. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    Nice one!

I suppose its the 'pay it forward approach*', just make sure you do a big favour for 3 people when the time arises :D

* watch the film 'pay it forward' or something along those lines, starring kevin spacey (american beauty) and the 6th sense 'I see dead people' kid, it'll explain all ;)

7. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    great flick! I always try to do the right thing. I doubt I'll stop "paying it forward" now.

(I find it best not to keep count)

8. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    Man that story you told made me feel like I actually had emotions for a second....

No seriously... That is awesome man... Its great to hear about acts like this...

And I hope things start to look up for you soon bro.

9. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    :) :) :)

cool

10. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    *snickering* what was it? You fell off a step ladder and did that? :p

Just kiddin' man. It's a shame to think you're ride will still beat mine for now....:(

_RaY_

11. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Thanks Again Jon!!!

Amy's planning on visiting the local Auto-Mart type chains for misc. dodads tomorrow.... she wants to find a seat cover to match that cow print steering wheel cover you left :)

12. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I'm glad you and Amy like it, and I'm happy I could help out. We had the exact same seat cover plan!!!

You've probably figured this out by now, but she's an old car so to start her you need to step on the gas a bit and the ignition is most powerful at the start of the key turn, not the end (if that makes sense).

We called her Gertie because the old lady who had her before us was named Gertrude.

Happy Motoring! :bassist:

13. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    It's been a while since we've owned a carborated car... but yeah, I've explained that to her.

Thanks again Jon!