Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jones Standard

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mheintz, Jun 23, 2005.

1. mheintz

mheintz

Nov 18, 2004
    Not really a bass, just a tapping instrument. Sounds interesting nonetheless. I first saw pictures of it at the Other Room. The site isn't fully flushed out yet, but they have some information:

http://www.jonesmfgmusic.com

2. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    It's like an extended range stick! :eek:

3. Kelly Coyle

Kelly Coyle Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Mankato, MN
    I wonder how much they'll be. I'm always interested in these things, but I found the two Sticks I owned pretty uncomfortable.

Thanks for the reference to the Other Room. I think that bowed guitar is cool, although ugly and expensive. Then there's the Gamba at the bottom of the page. I want an electric gamba/arpeggione so bad, but I can't afford any of the ones I know about. Maybe I should just get a many-stringed Ergo...

4. mheintz

mheintz

Nov 18, 2004
    The site also mentions guitar and bass bodies that can be attached to the instrument. It'll be interesting to see what they come up with.

By the way, the shortest_straw is a TB member who is a rep for Ruby Gamba. I too rather like the Ruby Gamba. I suppose that the Conklin MEU is also in the same league. As a German bow player, I am partial to gamba style bows, but without having played the bow for the guitar, it looks a bit unwieldy to me.

5. Kelly Coyle

Kelly Coyle Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Mankato, MN
    I thought Gambas were bowed underhanded. I wouldn't know, though. (edit: oh, wait -- German is underhanded. I get confused.)

That Conklin is the coolest thing. So is the Ruby Gamba. I pretty much can't spend like that on an instrument I have no real reason to believe I can play -- kind of a too-expensive experiment. I do, oddly enough, have a Gamba builder/player here in the neighborhood, so maybe I wouldn't be all alone trying to figure it out. But I haven't bowed anything since I helped massacre Vivaldi in high school string class. I keep hoping one of these bowed guitar guys will build something in the Fender bass price range, but so far nada. Maybe I should buy a student cello or something.

Sorry. Went off-topic there.