1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

jonesin' for a new one

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by INF1AME5, Sep 8, 2008.

1. so, after playing my old budget Ibanez for way too long, and now being a bassist in a gospel choir as well as backup in various ensembles, it is time for me to look for a new bass.
    Im looking for a relatively in expensive (im thinking used, but new would work as long at it's around maybe...500?)
    but it MUST HAVE: A THICK NECK I have extra large hands, and the ibanez has actually caused me trouble in my joints.
    also must have: a fairly wide tonal palette, for the most part i just like fat, juicy, buttery smooth low end, but i also have to play soloish stuff and other styles, so some flexibility is a must.

if any of you have ANY suggestions, it is greatly appreciated.

THanks!
    God bless!
    -Leeland

2. MyUsernameHere

MyUsernameHere ?????????????

Nov 3, 2007
    Lexington KY
    If you can do $600 you might be able to find a Warwick Corvette four string on the bay. Definitely has a thicker neck and should be able to pull off the sounds you're after.

3. oldrookie

oldrookie

May 15, 2007
    Avon, IN
    Take a look at the G&L Tribute L2500 if you want a five and Tribute L2000 if you want a four. Can get them used for your money...might find a store still selling at the old price if you look quickly. Used to be $550 for the L2K and $599 for the L25K.

Don't let the switches throw you, relatively easy to figure out. Sound great active or passive.

Love the L2K and wanted to love the L25K, but found the neck too thick for my liking. Might fit the bill for you.

4. jaypbass

jaypbass

Jun 29, 2007
    Boston, MA
    Another vote for the Tribute L25K, great for the money...

5. well, went to a G&L shop today, they didnt have the L-2K...:-(

BUT!!

They did have an Ibanez ATK300 I had played an older one and kind of liked it, but this new one...WOW!!! blew me away with the tone!!
    I made a down payment on it, and should have it in my possession in a week. I'm happy with my choice, it fit me great! and the best part...it was $200 less than the G&L.

:bassist:
    keep on thumpin' boys
    -Leeland

6. superfunk47

superfunk47

Sep 9, 2007
    Funny, the whole thread I was thinking "ATK...ATK..." and then there you go and buy it before I can recommend it :D

Enjoy. 'tis truly a fine bass.

7. A Peavey Grind or Cirrus may answer your prayers.