1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Joni and Jaco

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by justBrian, Dec 29, 2006.

1. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    I got the Joni Mitchell Shadows and Light DVD for Christmas and it is amazing. There are some cheesy clips, but the music is great. Her band lineup includes: Pat Metheny, Jaco, Lyle Mays, Don Alias, and Michael Brecker. Steller perfomance by all, and two solo pieces by Jaco!

2. Ale

Ale

Jul 5, 2006
    Europe
    Endorsing Artist: IGiG Cases
    Yep , this is my favourite Jaco movie .
    Amazing playing , wonderful . Jaco and Don Alias was an amazing combination. They do "Coyote" amazing , such as "Hejira" the best versions ive heard.
    The only thing i dont like is theese clips all the time , Joni skating , pictures of coyotes etc.
    Very corny lol.

3. Scottgun

Scottgun

Jan 24, 2004
    South Carolina
    I'll have to check that out. If you haven't, also check out her album Mingus.

Scott

4. jady

jady

Jul 21, 2006
    Modesto, CA
    And Don Juan's Reckless Daughter, great playing from Jaco!!!

5. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    My favorite cut on the dvd bass wise is "in France they kiss on main street".
    Amazing playing from everyone.

6. Heijara is my fav of that era of musical brilliance. Personally I would rather listen to jaco than watch him. He's kind of skeevy.

7. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    Well, it was 1979...;) :D

8. Ale

Ale

Jul 5, 2006
    Europe
    Well , IMO Hejira is the best album with jaco , actually its my favourite nr.1 jaco album. Wonderful playing , everythime i hear the intro on the song Hejira , i start to freeze , but in a good way :D
    I never liked Don Juan's Reckless Daughter that much , dont know why. But "mingus" is great , especially good by pork pie hat.

9. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    Man, I really love that song. There's one point where she holds out an incredibly long note that just does it for me. :)

10. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    John McLaughlin's "My Goal's Beyond" has my all time fav Good Bye Pork Pie Hat version.

Oddly, the Mingus Big Band version is one of my least favorites. He's a guy who I respect as a composer much more than as a bassist. Then again my reference for upright guys would be Ray Brown. Stylistically, as players - Mingus & Brown are poles apart though so maybe that's no suprise.

Part of what makes Jaco's playng on Joni's stuff so good - is Joni's writing. You listen to her develop as a writer and a singer and it just keeps getting jazzier.

I saw the Shadows & Light tour and it remains one of the very best live music experiences I've had. Simply amazing. Of course today they would have the 'vireo-tron' screen with the Coyote's and skating scenes going full bore ... maybe it's good that tour was pre big screen.

11. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    I was lucky enough to see Jaco twice with Joni.

To me, some of his best playing.
    The band just killed.

12. Ale

Ale

Jul 5, 2006
    Europe
    Man , your lucky.
    I wasnt born yet :D

13. Ale

Ale

Jul 5, 2006
    Europe
    Yeah , and the verion on the DVD is great to !

14. I can understand why people perhaps don't rate Don Juan's Wreckless Daughter over other Joni/Jaco albums such as Mingus and Hejiera. Let's face it, Jaco only plays bass on a handleful of tracks on this album compared with the others. But that's okay with me. For me Don Jaun is a far more masterful album in terms of song writing and arranging. On the compositions Jaco does play bass on on this album, he really really excels. Incredibly inventive playing with playful percussive touches and harmonic loveliness that interweaves and accents Joni's vocal lines perfectly. Superb all round. Don't get me wrong Mingus is also very very good. I like Hejiera, but would rather listen to the other albums first!

15. Eminentbass

Eminentbass

Jun 7, 2006
    South Africa
    Endorsing Artist: Ashdown Amps and Sandberg Basses.
    I also got Shadows and Light a few weeks ago. I love the music but the pretentious, trippy cinematography really got on my nerves... chances are I'll stick to listening without the visual. I originally got it for Jaco but it also really got me into Pat Metheny's playing.

16. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    Are you sure about that?
    I though "Hejira" was the album in which Jaco didn't play on all the songs (Max Bennett was the other bass player).

17. bassist15

bassist15

Mar 6, 2006
    Indiana
    On Hejira Jaco only plays on two tracks

18. Ale

Ale

Jul 5, 2006
    Europe
    Hejira was allready done and recorded when Joni heard of Jaco .
    Jaco overdubbed Max Bennets playing , thats why hes not on all the songs.

19. Ale

Ale

Jul 5, 2006
    Europe
    LoL , he does not play two tracks.
    Coyote , Hejira , Black Crow , A strange boy and Refuges of the roads.

20. The point I was making was this - if people are listening to Joni albums for the sole purpose of listening to Jaco's playing then 'Don Juan' is not the best choice, simply because he doesn't play on many tracks. I wasn't aware that Jaco didn't play on all the tracks on Hejira (but I did say it wasn't my favourite album either), but a quick scout around on the Jaco website confirms that he only plays on tracks 1, 5, 7 & 9, with Max Bennett on tracks 3 & 6 and Chuck Domanico on track 8.