Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Joni Mitchell and Mingus, Jaco

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Bob Gollihur, Apr 3, 2003.

1. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    Saw comments on another board:
    "I don't know if anyone else saw the PBS "American Masters" special on Joni Mitchell last night. It was brilliant.

There was an entire segment devoted to the period of time in her life when she hired Jaco as music director (and later, when she wrote lyrics for Mingus) and I found it fascinating.

She said this, "Bass players always wanted to come in and put picket fences in my music." That may be the clearest indictment for a root-fifth bass line I've ever heard.

Found it will be on philadelphia ch 12 on Sat night 11:30pm, sounds like it could be interesting:

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/americanmasters/database/mitchell_j.html

Click on the Check local listings at right to put in your zip code to find out when it will play in your area.

2. Er, that would be The Last WALTZ, Ed.

I bought MINGUS and HEJIRA during my obligatory Jaco-worship period. I liked most of her songs very much, and I can still remember the lyrics to a lot of them (though I haven't listened on a long time).

3. I really like her music. I was able to see her with Tom Scott at the U.C. Fieldhouse in the early '70s. Great show, wonderful playing.

And I think the actual quote is: "...bass players putting up dark fences around my music."
    I thought that was very telling as well. From Max Bennett to Jaco, she obviously found the bass voices she needed.

4. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    She even owned one for awhile (Larry Klein).

5. Damon Rondeau

Damon Rondeau Journeyman Clam Artist Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2002
    Winnipeg, baby
    ... she's rhythm section friendly, in fact. John Guerin (drummer) is another old flame. I thought she was mixed up with another bass player right now...

Joni's her own person and her own musician -- I absolutely love her for that. And, she's a good Saskatchewan girl even if she hasn't been home for a while. The sound of Hejira says "Saskatchewan" to me.

You try and make a tune say "Saskatchewan". It ain't easy, with or without a teacher.