Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Joni Mitchell- Coyote

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by IAMERICCOCHRANE, Mar 25, 2003.

1. OK I downloaded this song and its a really great song, gotta love the harmonic chords and Joni Mitchells singing. But Im just not sure who plays bass on this track. On the MP3 and in this book i bought called The Bass Player Book says that Jaco Pastorius is the bass player but I heard a few times on this site that He didnt play it on the Hejira CD. So if any of you know can you plz help me out here. Thanks and Peace

Song- Coyote
    Artist- Joni Mitchell
    CD- Hejira
    Bassist- ???

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    If it's not Jaco... then I must really be an idiot :eek:

I consider it to be my favorite Jaco track

I'll be watching to see what every one says, it's got to at least be his line..... if played be someone else

3. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    It's Jaco...........some of the best music ever laid to tape!!!:bassist: :bassist: :bassist:

4. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Jaco Played on about Half of "hejira" including Coyote.

5. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    not Jaco??? Blasphemy I tell you!

6. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Where? Who? I don't recall seeing anyone say that Jaco didn't play on Hejira, but plenty of people said that he did :D

I recall saying that Jaco is more prominent on "Don Juan's Reckless Daughter" than "Hejira", but that's about it...

7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

8. Murf

Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    Ireland
    Jaco played on Coyote, Black crow, Refuge of the roads and Hejira, can't remember the name of the bassists on the other tracks (by the way Max Bennet did some wonderful work on "Court and spark", worth checking out).

Coyote is good but for my money "refuge of the roads" is FAR better.

9. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    For Jaco's playing, I think "Black Crow" and "Refuge Of The Roads" stand out.

10. DBasica

DBasica

Jan 6, 2003
    IMHO, Refuge of the Roads is one of Jaco's standouts. Really melodic, not a typical bass part.

Dan

11. Yea thats the thread I was reading before that confused me. When they were talking about the weird harmonic chords I thought they were talking about coyote, but they were talking about some other song. Thanks for clearing that up. But still it doesnt really sound like Jaco, but im using DJRD as a comparison and Jaco is alot more alive and active in DJRD than in Hejira.

12. jerry

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    LOL.....I don't think you will ever hear the bass mixed as loud as it is on 'Don Juan's' on any other singer/songwriters album! I remember hearing that Jaco was there for the mixing of that album and made sure the bass was loud:bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist:

13. Ziggy

Ziggy

May 9, 2001
    Orange County, CA
    Murf,

You laid it out and didn't realize you had already named 'one' of the other bassists... Max Bennett played bass on two of the remaining tunes, and Chuck Domanico played the final tune; "Blue Motel Room".

BTW: Larry Carlton lays down a couple of tracks and Tom Scott plays the reed on one other as-well...

All the rest of tunes, as Murf mentions, were Jaco...

I know cd's are the current fav for recording purchases, but if you can find it on vinyl, there's an interesting double image present when holding the 'album' sleeve up to a light.

michael s.

14. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Hejira is, IMHO, the finest album ever made. Well, at least it's joint first with Songs In The Key Of Life... ;)

It really is required listening for any musician, not just bassists. Jaco is outstanding on it, Joni is on top form, the production is glorious, the songs are amazing, and the rest of the musicians are all brilliant. There's not one less-than-perfect second on the whole album... :)

Steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk

15. jerry

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii

16. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    ...And Pat Metheny's 'Bright Sized Life' - which is Jaco's joint-finest hour, along with Hejira, IMHO, and another album that everyone on the planet should own...

;)

Steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk

17. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    I've been listening to Hejira a *lot* lately. Y'know you're right, Steve - this album really is one of the best ever made! (I don't think I could say any one album is the finest ever made, but this is right up there).

Every single song is great, Joni's voice is stellar, and Jaco's playing, well... what can I say. On the tracks he plays on, he really transforms the accompaniment. It's incredible stuff.

Joni's previous album "The Hissing Of Summer Lawns" is really good too, although Jaco isn't on it.

18. jerry

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    'The Hissing Of summer Lawns' is a great album....her use of African rhythms pre-dates Paul Simon's by about ten years! Joni always ruled!!!

19. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Yeah. On that album, "In France They Kiss On Main Street", "The Jungle Line", "Edith & The Kingpin", and "Shadows & Light" really knock me out. Really great stuff, and beautiful arrangements. Those flute parts on "Edith & The Kingpin" - superb...

20. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    *walks over to turntables...dusts off hejira vinyl...begins playing....:cool:*