Joni Mitchell's Refuge Of The Roads DVD

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by JimK, Aug 29, 2004.

1. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    New arrival for me. A drummer friend was recently recounting how HBO de Old Skool would show music videos between movies...he ws going on & on about some '80s Joni Mitchell thing with Vinnie Colaiuta. Well, the DVD is out, it's called Refuge Of The Roads.
    For those into Shadows & Light, this would be a nice pickup. Bear in ming, though, this is NOT as 'jazzy' as S&L...this one is more Rockin'. The band, dressed like an '80s New Wave group, consists of Larry Klein(bass), Michael Landau(guitar), Vinnie(cans), & Russell Ferrante(keys). Not too shabby a backing band.

2. supermonkey

supermonkey

Mar 15, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Interesting. This reflects a period of her stuff where my interest wanes -- much more into the S&L period and before (i.e. Court & Spark, Hissing..., Mingus, Hejira).

But this sounds pretty cool.

I remember when HBO did that. The early, virginal days of music video. The HBO "Video Jukebox" was often the only place you'd see videos, pre-MTV.

3. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Back then, MTV was not part of our cable company's basic service. HBO's Video Jukebox was it! ;)

I also prefer the same Joni stuff you mentioned over the Wild Things Run Fast & beyond era. It is cool seeing Vinnie, though.

4. I love me some Joni Mitchell.

5. supermonkey

supermonkey

Mar 15, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    How can you not?

"Hissing..." floors me every time I hear it.

6. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    I prefer the mid to late 70s stuff too - but, I do think Dog Eat Dog is fantastic. Wild Things Run Fast and Chalk Mark In A Rain Storm are good, but Dog Eat Dog is Brilliant.