Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Joni Mitchell's Refuge Of The Roads DVD

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by JimK, Aug 29, 2004.

1. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    New arrival for me. A drummer friend was recently recounting how HBO de Old Skool would show music videos between movies...he ws going on & on about some '80s Joni Mitchell thing with Vinnie Colaiuta. Well, the DVD is out, it's called Refuge Of The Roads.
    For those into Shadows & Light, this would be a nice pickup. Bear in ming, though, this is NOT as 'jazzy' as S&L...this one is more Rockin'. The band, dressed like an '80s New Wave group, consists of Larry Klein(bass), Michael Landau(guitar), Vinnie(cans), & Russell Ferrante(keys). Not too shabby a backing band.

2. supermonkey

supermonkey

Mar 15, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Interesting. This reflects a period of her stuff where my interest wanes -- much more into the S&L period and before (i.e. Court & Spark, Hissing..., Mingus, Hejira).

But this sounds pretty cool.

I remember when HBO did that. The early, virginal days of music video. The HBO "Video Jukebox" was often the only place you'd see videos, pre-MTV.

3. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Back then, MTV was not part of our cable company's basic service. HBO's Video Jukebox was it! ;)

I also prefer the same Joni stuff you mentioned over the Wild Things Run Fast & beyond era. It is cool seeing Vinnie, though.

4. I love me some Joni Mitchell.

5. supermonkey

supermonkey

Mar 15, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    How can you not?

"Hissing..." floors me every time I hear it.

6. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    I prefer the mid to late 70s stuff too - but, I do think Dog Eat Dog is fantastic. Wild Things Run Fast and Chalk Mark In A Rain Storm are good, but Dog Eat Dog is Brilliant.