Jonny Lang Concert at the Garlic Fest

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Boplicity, Nov 2, 2002.

1. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Of interest to blues rock fans, I just saw Jonny Lang and his band at the DelRay Beach Garlic Fest an outside venue with unusually good sound. Jonny still looks fourteen even though he must be over twenty by now.

I want to give big props to his bassist, Billy Franze, who has played for Prince, for the amazing job he did especially holding down the bottom end during Lang's lengthy solos. I was especially impressed with the way he kept things together during a ten minute call and response session between Lang and the saxophonist David Eiland. That had to be very challenging to pull off because the twosome could have easily been pretty boring by themselves without the bassist making something musical out of their exertions.

Franze had a Jazz bass five string painted like the American flag. He had two Hartke cabs, one 4x 10 and one 15. His rack had only two peices of equipment, one a compressor limiter. I'm not sure what the other was. The amp, I guess.

He was really energetic and acted more like a metal bassist than a blues bassist, but he played very well. Like I said, it can't be easy to manage during Lang's lengthy solos.

The band played one and a half hours with only a short break. Jonny thankfully played some of my favorites of his, using a variety of electric and acoustic guitars throughout the concert.

As usual, I was plagued by the numerous folks who were there, but oblivious to the music, talking non-stop and running back and forth for beer or toilet breaks. Such irritations reinforce my belief that it is better to sit home in comfort and listen to the CD...except...except, I confess there is nothing like seeing favorite muscians live in person. It was a thrill to see Lang and his hardworking band.
  2. I saw Jonny Lang last saturday at the Texas Motor Speedway. The sound was very good for an outside venue. Billy Franze did an outstanding job.

But....All I could think of during Jonny Lang's extended solos, Was the phrase "I got a hankerin' for some wankerin'"
  3. Boplicity

You have a valid point. Lang's solos on his CDs are much more "disciplined." At the concert he allowed himself the luxury of extensive soloing...longer not always meaning better. As an example, his rhythm guitarist Paul Diethelm played an extended solo in one song, receiving the biggest applause of the evening. His solo was classic, controled, told a story, went somewhere, built and ebbbed. On the other hand, Lang's solos were much looser.

Still one must consider the difference in age and experience, Diethlem is a touring and recording veteran. Yes, Lang has been playing with pros since he was just fourteen and known as "Little Jonny Lang", but when Diethelm played, it was very apparent how experience counts.
  4. Don't get me wrong. I did enjoy the show, But I thought his solos were too long. Not to the point enough for my taste. You know, Don't bore us, get to the chorus.

Or maybe it's just 'cause my butt was numb from sitting on those cold aluminum bleachers for a couple of hours. :eek:

BTW Aerosmith and the Doobie Brothers were both great! :)
  5. Mmm!

A [​IMG] Fest...

Yum! ...sounds like my kind of event! How big an occasion is it compared to the festival at Gilroy?

- Wil
  6. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

From what I know and what I've experienced, you're right on the money, Jason. The younger blues artists always seem to need to "prove" themselves by displaying every lick in their vocabulary.

As they mature, they say just as much, usually more, with half of the notes. It just seems to be a maturation process.

As for youth, there's this kid running around named Lucas Pisano. I didn't get to see him, but I heard he was recently on the "Tonight Show" and performed at a House of Blues. He's a blues harp blower who is getting some real respect...........and the sucker is 6 years old!!!

So what's "the blues" to a 6-year old??? --- the display on your Game Boy is messing up or you didn't get the Harry Potter game for your birthday???
  7. man... his gameboy display messing up? ouch, that's gotta sting.

If that happened to mine... well, I'd have to buy a new one. That's at least one solid decent paying gig!

Actually, Billy Franze is a great bassist. I take lessons from the player who took over his place in a great Twin Cities R&B band called Mick Sterling and the Stud Brothers. It's cool to compare the two players' different styles when hearing the same tune. Take "What is Hip?" for example. Their current bassist, Nick Salisbury, has a very Rocco Prestia influenced part, but adds some of his own nuances, where as Franze plays it a bit different, not concentrating on the muted tone or steady 16th note beat that the tune was written with.

Andrew Leaf
  8. Boplicity

Funny you should ask. DelRay Beach, FL does not even grow garlic! So what do they do? They throw this three day garlic fest now in its fourth year celebrating food made with garlic and having well known bands perform, both local and national acts.

Today Little Feat played. I'm not a big LF fan, but appreciate their achievement of having survived years and know they have a large and loyal following.

I am certain the DelRay Garlic fest in no way equals the genuine article at Gilroy, but you can't beat the glorious Novamber Florida days and evenings.

All the food, while expensive, was delicious and garlicy, of course. But the upscale residents of DelRay Beach wouldn't have the prices be any other way. (Oh, hey, I live in a less prestigious pueblo ten miles to the North,)
  9. Boplicity

Fascinating, RickBass. Harmonica blues are a particular favorite of mine. I'd love to see this kid. One does wonder how such an innocent youth can pick up the "feeling" of blues. (Didn't we recently have a controversial thread on the "genuine" blues feel in "recordings"?) Still, I know kids can be great imitators. I bet the little squirt was adorable. I hope he sticks with it. We need another Junior Wells. (May he rest in peace.)
  10. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I saw Johnny Lang open for Jeff Beck.

He and the band were very good. What was more impressive than his guitar playing, was his singing.

There are plenty of blues guitarists, but if you can sing, you will last.
  11. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Bop -

I'm upset you didn't let me know about the Garlic Fest! I would have driven down for it...

...lotsa good music and lotsa garlic: I'm THERE!

...on a side note, if you're not doing anything Friday night, RM&SS is playing in WPB at The Blue Martini, world class hecklers are not only welcome, but are appreciated! :D

Now, I'm gonna go roast me some garlic, bake a small round of brie, toast me some good homemade french bread, and make myself a very happy man! :cool:
  12. Boplicity

Gard, what would be even better than attending the Garlic Fest is to PLAY in it. Check the web site and see if your band can get hooked up next year to play. The festival is in November.

My brother-in-law is visiting this weekend. I'll see if I can interest him in going to the Blue Martini. Is that on Clematis?
  13. Boplicity

That's what amazes me about Jonny Lang--his voice. Even at fourteen he had a Joe Cocker-style growl!

I love Kenny Wayne Shephard but he can't match Lang in the voice department. In fact, does he sing at all? I heard he was taking lessons, but I didn't buy his most recent CD and don't know if he is singing.
  14. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    I must Say Johny lang in concert is a great experience.. I've seen him once myself.. Very very fun
  15. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    That reminds me of the Stevie Ray Vaughan song, "Tightrope." When I first heard it and for many months following, I thought he said "Cat got your turtle" in one of the early lines. At the time, I thought, "Whoa! Ol' Stevie's bringin' the blues down to the pre-teen level," as I harked back to a time when my cat killed the little (salmonella-infested) turtle I won at a booth at the county fair. What a master; blues for kids too!

Turns out the line is "Can't catch a turtle in this rat race." Oh well.
  16. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Bop -

Here's the info on where & when we're playing:

Friday, November 8, 2002 - The Blue Martini,
    West Palm Beach, Florida
    at "Cityplace" (561.835.8601) - 550 S. Rosemary Avenue
    8 PM to Midnight

I hear it's a very nice (but possibly expensive?) place, hopefully the in-laws will be up for a night out. Always happy to have a TBer around!

Good idea on the Garlic Fest thing, I'll bookmark that for future reference. Thanks!