Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jorge Campos

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by kirbywrx, Apr 1, 2003.

1. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Browsing through my new warwick catalog ( :D ) i found a man that uses a custom warwick double neck, something i havent seen before.

Does anyone know anything about him, what he plays, what he sounds like? I typed his name into google.com and i only got a soccer player of the same name :rolleyes:

2. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    Know nothing of the bass player. I know Jorge Campos the footballer though.

3. kirbywrx

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Cmon guys!! :)

He uses a doubleneck Warwick Corvette. Top one 8 strings (octave string) second one fretless 4. He sounds fainlty german, going by the picture and his name..

Anyone?

4. And here I was trying to figure out what a Mexican soccer goalie had to do with bassists...

5. Danny R.

Danny R. Supporting Member

Jorge Campos is from guerrero mexico, he's the mexican soccer selection "portero" (goalie), he sucks at it, he let me down countless times, I've never seen him holding a double neck though, I have the same catalog, in the magazine it says Jorge Campos, In the back cover it says Jorge Compas, I think he plays with Celia Cruz....I think.

6. Danny R.

Here's Jorge Campos
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Danny R.

Here's his Double neck
    [​IMG]

8. Danny R.

Here's the "soccer player"
    :spit:

[​IMG]

9. Danny R.

Here's a picture of the catalog:D

[​IMG]

10. Danny R.

He's from chile.

11. Jorge Campos is one of the great bassists here, along with Marcelo Cordoba and Cristián Gálvez.

He plays in "Congreso" and "Fulano", if you are interested in his music.

The doubleneck Streamer was designed here in Chile by Croma Limited, the official Warwick dealer here, and Jorge Campos himself... but the last design stage took place on Warwick Germany.

I have a photo of me with that specific bass, but my scanner is broken, i will try to upload it as soon as possible.

EBP

12. BTW, the name "Machi" is taken from the Mapuche tribe (our natives).

My english isn't something to be proud, so, i will write it in spanish, someone translate please.

<spanish>

Machi es el curandero de la tribu mapuche, es quien cura de toda enfermedad o mal que tenga el pueblo.

Los mapuches creen que las enfermedades son producidas por espíritus malignos, y la función del Machi, por medio de brujería es sacarlos del cuerpo.

En el ritual Machi, los malos espíritus salen del cuerpo del enfermo en forma de insectos o serpientes. Sïmbolos de la maldad y la infección en esa cultura.

Aunque es todo algo simbólico, porque eso realmente no pasa (todo es un truco bien hecho), los mapuches le atribuyen un verdadero significado divino, como la propia voluntad de los dioses.

</spanish>

EBP

13. Danny R.

I'll try:D

Machi is the witch of the mapuche tribe that heals all the tribe's diseases.

The mapuches believe that all diseases are a product of evil spirits, and the machi function through witchcraft is to cast them out.

The machi ritual the evil spirits get off the diseased body in a bug or snake form, which is a symbol of infection and evilness according to that culture.

Even though it's something symbolic, because it never happens (all that mumbo jumbo is a well done trick) the mapuches believe that it has a divine meaning, such as the gods will.

Conste que solo lo intente, luego no vengas con "hay no lo tradujiste bien" es broma, me da gusto que tengamos TBers latinos;)

14. FractalUniverse

FractalUniverse Guest

Jan 26, 2002
    Valparaíso, Chile
    whoa did i miss something?

I have seen that guy playing live, he has a very weird show, cause there are lots of basses and even a doublebass playing at the same time, his music feels weird in that format. The sound of his 8-strings has a kind of piano sound. In the cd you can hear that... but i, myself..... i don't like the cd.

His other group congreso, is good by the way, its like a kind of progressive-fusion folk music with lots of poetry.

And here you can hear another good bassist from chile, he is marcelo cordova, the one with the absolute ear(don't know what would be transalation, but he can hear minimal changes in FQs and say if its tuned or no, say the note, and even recognise chords... he is a master, i have seen him play twice. He is now in france studying with dominique dipiazza, and he also is studying double bass.
    http://www.intermusic.cl/mc/mp3.htm

And EDBplayer you forgot luis cheul, i was playing some basslines in the last class, and he started to play some spanish-vibe solos. That was damn too cool. He rawk that 6 strings shack!:bassist:.

15. kirbywrx

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.