Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Joris, looky here at my cabinet, please.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by throbbinnut, Oct 15, 2000.

1. Joris,

You're the man for cabinet info, so what's the scoop on this Fender 4x12 I just got. Sounds good to me as it is right now, but it is sealed, and I wonder if porting it would do me any good? It's 30 inches high, 28 inches wide, and about 12 inches deep. Probably really designed for guitar, but I'm going for a 1970's sound, and I think this may give it to me.

Any info or opinions wanted.

Thanks,
    Chris

[​IMG]

2. Hi 'nut,

I don't think it's a good idea to port it, because they are guitar speakers. Guitar speakers have a different construction than bass speakers. They have shorter voice coils and smaller magnets. Because of that their characteristics are different, making it almost impossible to put them in a vented cab.

But I'm sure they'll give you a seventies sound. Maybe to much even. Because of the shorter voice coils, the speakers will distort easily, giving a soft overdrive sound. Be VERY carful to not overload these speakers. They're not made for bass.

Hope this helps...
    Rgds, Joris.

3. Thanks, Joris.

A little more info, the nameplate says it is a "300 P.S. BASS 4x12". Each speaker is 32 Ohms, for a total load of 8 Ohms. The fact that it says "Bass 4x12", and it was originally designed to work with a 300 Watt tube head makes me think that it can handle my 100 Watt head with a bass. So I'm not too worried about blowing anything, plus I don't play real loud. I've never needed anything more than 100 Watts of Ampeg tube power.

The nameplate confuses the hell out of me. I posted over on the Fender board and somebody told me that the cab was really designed to appeal to guitarists, but having the word "Bass" in the nameplate makes me think it is fine for bass.

Sorry to drag this out.

Chris

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

A lot of the Fender stuff from the past has Bass in the name but is really intended for guitarists who like a bassy distorted sound - I personally hate this, when you get guitarists who take up all the lower audio range and the bass player just ends up having to double the guitar or clash horribly. But I do remember playing with guitarists in the late 70s early 80s who wanted a "warmer" sound (muddy to me!) and invariably used a 4 X 12, typically with a Gibson SG. I really hated that sound !

5. Now I can put my mind at rest. (Now that I got the answer I wanted. :D) It sounds good, it's got a bad rattle, but I'll find that tonight. I think it may be the pull out casters and the fact that it's on a hard wood floor.

Chris