Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

**JORIS** Your help is needed.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Grahams Groove, Jul 10, 2001.

1. Hey,
    As you can see, im pretty new to this whole deal, but i have a few questions for you on amps, clipping, wattage, etc...And I'm asking for your expertise(sp?) because it was reccomended that i ask you...now, for the questions.

1)Is it bad for the amp or speakers/cab to push a cab with an amp with a lower power rating than the cabinet?? (ex:pushing a 600 watt 4x10 with 240 watts...)

2)Am II doing anythign wrong if i am pushing a mesa 4x10 with a nemesis 210p combo amp? So I think im pushing like 200 or 225 watts into 6 10's...(Sounds good to me, and its actually very loud, but i just want to make sure that its OK)

3)Would it be louder if I kept the setup I explained or sold the nemesis and bought a head to push just the mesa 4x10? (I am thinking the hartke 3500 because its pretty reasonable and in my price range, has a Tube/SS pre-amp, and has ample power for the situations i am in.)

4)I'm not sure if you could even answer this, but how much should cones be moving at the most when you play??? Cuz every time i see a cone moving a good 1/2 inch or so out, it seems to worry me...Is that too much pressure and movement on the cones or am i just anal and they are just doing their jobs???

Thanks...
    Graham

2. I see this has had a few looks...if anyone has any definate answers or anythign, feel free to post them....

3. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    1) Its not a problem as long as you don't over exert the speakers. Some people say its actually better to have more power in your amp than your speakers can handle.

2) As long as the total impedance of the speakers is not lower than what the amp can handle you're fine.

4. leper

leper

Jun 21, 2001
    itll be louder if you keep the nemises cuz it has the added speaker area, and even if you dont take the added speaker area into account you still wouildnt even hear the added wattage of the hartke head (also, i used to have the 3500...hated every second of it)

as long as the speakers arent distorting it should be fine...when i first got my goliath sr that scard teh pants off me too, but its really not an issue

5. leper... 2 questions... 1)What did you dislike sooo much about the hartke 3500 (I'm also considering the hartke 4000).

and 2)
    Is ^that a reference to the speaker cones moving?

6. Here's my views on things:

7. leper

leper

Jun 21, 2001
    first, the empirical things:

its the only piece of equipment ive ever had fail on me...

I take good care of my equipment, and that thing crapped out on my on 3 seperate occasions for various reasons...i havent had a single problem since i got my swr, or when i had the peavey basic 112. I eventually sold it, and got crap from the kid I sold it to cuz it crapped out on him about 2 weeks later. I had taken it to a licensed repairman every time, but everytime something else would go

and now, pure opinion:

On top of that, I feel like its got a bunch of knobs etc, none of which do thier job very well...its got a big ole eq, but it just makes it sound bad in a different way...the compressor is pretty lame (very heavy handed sounding), i found the treble knob to be REALLY noisy...the list goes on.

In short, I would really, really, recommend waiting if at all possible and getting something else. Im not sure what kind of sound you want, but so far as sanely priced amps I really like the Swr workingmans series. Its pretty good sounding to but better priced than the pro line. Im sure some other people here can recommend some moderatly priced but quality amps, but the swr stuff is just what ive had the most experience with.

8. leper

leper

Jun 21, 2001
    oh, i forgot to mention...keeping the nemisis gives you some flexibility...you dont HAVE to bring a stack if you dont want to...if you ditch that youre out of a nice small amp

as you can tell, id say stick with what you have