Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jose Theodore Tested Positive for Steroids

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Jazzin', Feb 9, 2006.

1. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

I don't think this could be good in any way. I wonder why he was taking them, did he start doing this after he lost confidence? Or is this the cause of his poor playing in some ironic way?

http://rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/197706.html

2. TABARNA....:eek:

3. BassManPatsFan

BassManPatsFan Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    c'est en francais.....

4. Unfortunately, I don't read French, but was he struggling with an injury or anything like that? Most people think of steroids as simply making you stronger, but one of the chief reasons they're taken is that they help athletes shrug off nagging injuries.

All these athletes taking steroids...it's really depressing.

5. Jazzin'

Actually, I just watched the interview with Jose Theodore's doctor. Apperently, it's not steroids which he was tested positive for, but it was a recently banned substance in the NHL which masks steroids in tests. Theodore has been taking this medication for 8 years because it helps his hair growth. The substance is found in the medication which Theo uses for his hair. It was only banned in December of 2005. The thing is that he found out about it when it was banned but continued to take it. It is a possibility that he has been taking steroids and masking them. He has not yet given a reason for why he hasn't stopped taking this medication. His doctor says that it is clear that he isn't taking steroids.

6. Tim makes a good point. I have been studying cases of steroid use and abuse in athletes recently as part of my job and, not surprisingly, the stories are much more complex than we may be led to believe.

Obviously, I don't condone performance enhancing drugs, but what about medication to help athletes recover from injury? Many of them make a living from their chosen sport, and in numerous cases, their income is severely reduced when they are out with an injury.

This means that they often look to any form of assistance to get them back into competition and earning money. Becuase sports people have quite a limited window of opportunity to earn money, most of them will do anything to keep that revenue coming in. It's quite sad.

I think the real dangers, for the health system, are going to come from the "weekend warriors" - ordinary guys and girls who take steroids to pump up their physique etc.

7. Jazzin'

8. Jazzin'

9. Montreal is icy and frozen right about now, it was bound to happen with his string of bad luck.. I don't mind, Huet isn't playing badly at all.

10. Jazzin'

But Huet can't play every game. I guess we'll see what Danis has.

11. Tabarfuk!

Danis blows.....Huet will stay in the pipes and Theodore will get traded to the Avalanche for a slew of crap draft picks.

And, he'll shave his head once he gets to Denver!!

Dude, I had sweet poutines at Le Resto du Village, which apparently is in the gay end of Montreal. Big mistake. Scary people with GREAT hair and nails! LOL! ;)
    http://www.restomontreal.ca/restaurants/index.php?section=viewresto&resto_id=1768

The fact that Paul DiPietro scored 2 goals against Canada has GOT TO be turning some heads! Hell, Gainey should sign him back up.......

12. Phil Mastro

Phil Mastro

Nov 18, 2004
    Montréal
    Why not? he's been doing pretty well. Did you see those savess in the last minutes of their game against the Thrashers (I think?). That one where he lifted his left foot while on his knees was pretty sick. Now THAT was talent.

I never really like Théo anyways.

13. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    They should have traded Theodore a long time ago. He just does not play consistently enough to deserve the amount of pay that he gets. He had one great season and that's it.

Now he's broken his ankle bone or something; how convenient! The coach doesn't have to play him (like they would anyway with Huet playing so well) and nobody will touch him for a trade.

14. Phil Mastro

Phil Mastro

Nov 18, 2004
    Montréal
    +1

15. Don't really follow the Canadiens, but didn't Danis get a shutout his first game(I only ever saw him play that one, and he didn't look bad to me). I too am not a fan of Theo. But growing up a Flames fan during our crappy years, I always loved the goalies. Dudes like Trevor Kidd, Dwayne Roloson, and my favourite, Rick Tabaracci. I even remember the season where we went through about 6 or 7 goalies halfway through the season until we got Freddie Brathwaite.

And talk about overrated...we had Roman Turek. He gets 2 shutouts in his first two games, so we sign him to a pretty hefty contract, and then...he sucks. Its tough to get a goalie who is always consistent(myself being a goalie, it is often tough to stay consistent. Example, one season our team was playing crap, losing a lot, my confidence was low, were about second last in the division before the christmas break. Had a tournament. Shut out the team that beat us 8-2 in season play and who were undefeated so far that season. Ended up coming in second that tournament(with only 6 goals allowed in 4 games). That fired up the team, won minor hockey week, came in second in the playoffs(we had 3 goals disallowed/not counted in the final, and we lost 3-2), and the second half of the season result in a GAA of about 1.7 for me.

The reason for all that is, keep playing Huet. Hes doing good, he's got confidence, the team has confidence in him, so keep him in there as much as possible. Goalies are often very streaky. If he has a bad game, put Danis in for a game or two, rest Huet, then get him back out there. With so many goalies who can play really well, its tough to keep going back to the same one over several seasons. And it never hurts to have a good backup. Or two.

What was I talking about again?

16. Jazzin'

I just found out now. Poor old theodore. I wonder if he's going to pull of a "Roy".

17. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada

Huet is doing a great job.

I think it's a good news.