Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Josef Lazar

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Hedge7, Sep 24, 2004.

1. Okay, I'm ready for this to get nasty, but I was seaching on the web for upright basses (still trying to learn a lot and drool over things I can't afford) and found a Josef Lazar hybrid made in Romania for $1300. Here's another thing that's going to really get everybody all hot and bothered - They can be had at Giardinelli (Musician's Friend). I'm not going to buy one, but wondered if anyone had any thoughts, feelings, opinions... Stupid question - I know, but I'm asking anyway!!
    Ladies and Gentlemen, watch your lanes. You may commence firing.

2. Matt Ides

Matt Ides

May 12, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    If you can't play it I wouldn't buy it. $1300 seems CHEAP for a hybrid.

3. Well, that's pretty much my point. I was just wondering if anybody had any experience with it. You can see if at www.giardinelli.com if you want to. To show you how much they know, on the sidebar, they have listed the size instruments for you to choose. It starts: "Full-size", 3/4, 1/2, etc... When we know that the 3/4 is generally considered a full-size instrument. Again, I'm not in the market to buy one, I'm just trying to see if anyone on here has any experience with that line.

4. Matt Ides

Matt Ides

May 12, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
  5. Oh, I still have the Chrissy. I love it and although it's a ply, I can't see myself ever getting rid of it. It's the nicest sounding ply I've ever heard - not that I've heard that many. But the set up on it is wonderful for piz and that's what I play 99.9% of the time. I love the Busetto corners on it too. It's just that I'm always looking at other basses (my wife hates it when I do that.. but that's another story!! :D ). One day I'll buy a nice carved bass, but since the eye of hurricane Ivan came over my house last week :spit: , I'm going to have to wait a bit longer before I can afford to do that.

6. OMIGOD, is the Chrissy okay? :D

7. Yes, Thank God, she came through it without a scratch!! :hyper: Heaven help me, I do love her so.

8. Matt Ides

Matt Ides

May 12, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    damn, I would be in the corner holding my bass.

Glad that you and the bass are ok.

Matt

9. Damn! What about his old lady? :crying:

10. Oh yeah, her... She's made it too!

We were very lucky actually. I own a recording studio and I was acutally more concerned about it and the stuff inside than I was most everything else. We have some cool vintage gear that would be very hard to replace. It came out unscathed as well.

11. Matt Ides

Matt Ides

May 12, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    The old Lady would be hovered over in the corner protecting the bass with me. :D

Matt

12. Hedge, this is what you should of said of your old lady! You're my kinda Cat!

13. To be honest, I've been a bit intimidated to post much on here since people like you, Paul, Arnold, Ken, and so many others (I don't mean to dis anyone) have such incredible creditials, I only dream of doing the things you guys do. So your comment is very welcome!! Yes, the old lady came through it without a scratch too! I'm very happy for her since she's done most of the clean up around the house since the storm!! :D ... and for the record, I do love her too!

14. Yeah Hedge, I can dig your intimidation remark about our people here on TBDB.
    When I first came on board...after seeing the brilliant luthiers work...Arnold, Jeff, Nnick,ETC. And then downloading the music of all the great players Mike,Ray,Chris and ALL the others. When I first came on, the legendary Mr. Fuqua hadn't returned from his brief disappearance, so I had to get aquainted with him through the colorful stories left behind in the minds of all our brothers (doesn't seem to be alot of sisters)
    I was lucky as a TBDB Newbie because my good buddy Bob Branstetter laid some ground work for me.
    I had just lost my wife of 27 years to ovarian cancer. These people became my family and when I needed to try to get all the sadness out of my soul, this is where I came!
    Just remember, we're your Buddies and you can't find a better place to be (besides on a bandstand) than right here!! :eek:

15. Thanks for the kind and encouraging remarks, Paul. I'm sorry I haven't answered sooner, but I've been battling the aftermath of hurricanes in Florida and in Alabama. Yes, these all seem to be very decent folks around here and I'll try not to be intimidated by those present. Without sounding too sappy, I love to come here when I'm feeling that others just don't understand what loving these instruments is like. I don't have the most desireable bass in the bunch by far, but I love it just the same and it has the sound that I hear in my head!

16. azflyman

azflyman

Apr 24, 2004
    Astoria, OR
    Kinda sorta like children.

az