1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Joseph Vito Albanese - RIP

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by TroyK, May 31, 2012.

1. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    http://www.circuscontraption.com/bios.html#Albanese

Seattle local bassist, composer, performer Joe Albanese and 6 other people in Seattle, including his long time friend and collaborator Drew Keriakedes were shot yesterday. Joe and Drew both died of their injuries.

They were both part of the troupe of a local tradition called "Circus Contraption" as well as what appears to be a nice collection and history of other interesting projects. The senseless shooting took place over breakfast at what has been a great Seattle hangout "Cafe Racer".

A horrible day for Seattle and actually it's been a horrible spring in this way. Thought as a bassist, Joe deserved a short obit here. Joe and Drew were the types of people who help make Seattle the cool, arty, eclectic place that it is. They will be missed.

2. Marial

Marial weapons-grade plum

Apr 8, 2011
    What a mess. A coworker of mine knew them as did a number of other musician/music community folks I'm acquainted with. I never met them personally but I have their CD at home (God's Favorite Beefcake). Seattle is really a small town in a lot of ways and this has touched a lot of people. I hesitate to bring it up but there have been four or five shootings in the Rainier area that have received basically no press at all. I just don't have anything good to say about any of it, there are just layers of badness going on right now.

3. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    It's been a horribly bad year. Seattle has as many homocides YTD 2012 as of May 30th as it did in all of 2011. I have some close personal ties to KPLU News and I know that they try to give them all the attention they deserve. Human life is human life, none worth more than the next. Still, the 9 people shot in the last 10 days have one thing in common; none of them were in any way involved in any kind of altercation. They were either hit by a bullet meant for someone else or in the case of yesterday's killing spree, were all just randomly targeted while going about their business. Certainly that is true for some of the others killed this year too, but that reality has smacked us hard in the face recently.

I didn't know Joe or Drew either, but like you, I'm one degree of musical separation from them as are most Seattle musicians. I have some calls to make to that one degree today and am trying to think of what to say. A terrible tragedy. Let's just tip our hats to some fellow musicians who lost their lives yesterday while hanging out at a favorite spot.

4. byrd777

byrd777

May 31, 2012
    I had known of Joe for years. He had played in my friend's band Mighty Sphincter, but I had never met him. Around 1995 I was at my friend Johnny's house party in Portland and I picked up a classical guitar and started doing some finger picking of chords. Without me noticing someone had picked up a white kramer acoustic bass and started shredding over what I was playing. I had never heard a bass player complement so well what I was playing, I had never heard a bass player play so well. When we finished I went up to Johnny and asked who that guy playing bass was. He said, oh that's Joe Albanese. I was astonished by his playing and that I had inadvertantly had an intense musical moment with him. I was deeply sadened to hear yesterday of his death.

5. gerry grable

gerry grable

Nov 9, 2010
    You can read the whole depressing story on www.drudgereport.com. I noticed it this morning, but didn't bother to read it until I heard about it on TB.

6. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    Drew was a good bass player too. Although he played many other instruments, he mostly played bass in his bands when he lived here. He used to live a few blocks from me down here in the Gorge and I played many double bills with his bands. We hung out and played music together at his house and countless open mikes over the years too, and I also mixed quite a few shows for his bands. His longtime drummer and I will be doing some sort of musical tribute tonight, which is going to be really tough on both of us, but especially her. Drew was an intense, powerfully charismatic person and performer, and my heart goes out to all the many people he touched with his gifts.

The first house I lived in in Seattle was just a couple of blocks from the cafe too, so I really feel for the people who live in that neighborhood (and all of Seattle) too.

The Seattle Times obituaries for Joe and Drew can be read here.

7. Marial

Marial weapons-grade plum

Apr 8, 2011
    Hard to believe we have more homicides already than all of last year.. ***?!

Well, if New York could climb out of the sewer it had become in the 70s and early 80s Seattle will certainly survive this spasm of violence. Still... it could have been any of us, here.

Well, I'm certainly not going to be cowering at home. I won't be going to the tribute, but I am going to see some music tonight, Country Dave Harmonson and his son at Le Bon Ton in Ballard, and I'm going to celebrate the birthday of another musician friend and be thankful for those that are still among us and for the good life that I have.