1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Josh Homme playing bass

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Tituscrow, Jan 12, 2012.

1. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Banned

Feb 14, 2011
    NW England
    Now I thought I was a big qotsa fan, got all their records, seen em live a few times etc.

However, I stumbled across a live version of 'The Long Slow Goodbye' from 2005. (one of my favourite songs, btw)

Cant post a link, but its the first video that pops up when you bang the title as a search into youtube. No Nick Olivieri, but Josh on bass.

Now, was this a one-off because our loveable Mr O was somehow incapacitated, or has Josh played bass live before or since? It's a new one on me, so I wondered if any qotsa die-hards could shed any light?

Fwiw, he still looks like a guitarist playing a bass guitar, not a bassist! :)

2. Meddle

Meddle

Jul 27, 2009
    Scotland

He was probably busy beating his girlfriend or getting into an armed siege or something.

3. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Banned

Feb 14, 2011
    NW England
  4. Audiophage

Audiophage

Jan 9, 2005
    I think Nick was out of the band by 2005. Google should tell you.

5. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    Yeah, Scott Reeder has to play all the overseas Kyuss reunion gigs because Oliveri can't leave the country anymore.

Oliveri was fired from QOTSA in 2004, following which they brought in Johannes and did Lullabies to Paralyze.

6. dwh87

dwh87

Jul 31, 2007
    Cornwall
    Homme is the kind of guy who can turn his hand to anything and do ok.

7. drewfunk

drewfunk

May 10, 2010
    Olympia, Wa
    On the Lullabies To Paralyze album, Josh and Troy wrote all the bass lines. I've seen multiple clips where one of them will take over bass duties for certain songs. Live, Homme often played bass for Burn The Witch, and Troy often played bass for Little Sister. That is, before they got Shuman on bass permanently.