Joshua Tree Voted Greatest All Time Album

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by TornadoDDT, Nov 23, 2001.

1. TornadoDDT

Jun 4, 2000
    In a poll of a quarter million viewers of VH1UK, the U2 album "Joshua Tree" has won first place as the greatest album of all time. It even surpassed Michael Jackson's "thriller", the highest selling album of all time, pushing that to second place.
  2. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000

I like Achtung Baby better myself. And there's a whole bunch of non-U2 albums that I like even better than Achtung Baby. That's all what matters to me.
  3. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    The "Joshua Tree" is a terrific album; it's aged very well (better than "Thriller").

Given that it's the UK, I'm surprised that something by Dire Straits or Queen didn't take first place.
  4. seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    I would have guessed something more like Floyd, Zep, or the Beatles over U2.
  5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Does anybody really care?!!? :confused:
  6. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

A.K.A., "Most Heavily-marketed Album of All Time"?

Or, "Most Appealing Album to Lowest Common Denominator of All Time"?

Either would me more accurate than "greatest"

I really just wanted to see who would be so flat out clueless about music to even conduct such a poll.

Why am I not surprised??????.....the music fascists :rolleyes:
  7. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Better than "What's Going On" by Marvin Gaye or "Darkside Of The Moon" by Floyd?!
    Arse piffle!!!!!!!
  8. as musicians, i don't think that we should give a flying **** about the industry...but anywho, Joshua tree is still a great album...i would have picked Zep's Physical Graffitti (or II)....but oh well
  9. what about are you experienced/axis: bold as love or srgt peppers lonely hearts/the white album/revolver etc etc
  10. yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    Rick, you might be interested to know that there was recently a poll for the worst album of all time amongst several non-entities from the music industry in Britian, and Sgt. Peppers recieved several votes. I mean, fair enough if you don't actually like the album or the Beatles, but what bastard offspring of Fieldy would actually think that it was the worst record of all time? :confused: :rolleyes:
  11. that person needs to be smacked up side the head with a very large, dense, heavy, and blunt object as soon as possible.
  12. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Thanks for that, yawns!

It seems for some strange reason, we don't fully appreciate our indigineous artists, (jeez! Look at all the U.S. blues legends who didn't get their props until they went to Europe!!! :rolleyes: ).

As for Korn's bassist - Mr. Arviznu would probably be working in a car wash if it wasn't for Sgt. Pepper's. Unless a person was playing music at the time, they probably can't appreciate how it changed music.

13. whos "that person"....after all, it was a poll open to everyone...
  14. purple_haze

Jun 29, 2001
    London Town
    Surely that would be the reason that it won in a poll, no? ;)
  15. if it was more than one person than i would recomend the same punishment for all of the transgressors.
  16. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Sweet... we have the same Top 3, Jazzbo!

Them Hansom boys is funky with a capital G.
  17. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Great minds.....
  18. melvin

Apr 28, 2001
    Sadley Fieldy does have kids. I can just see them crawling around...clicking...

As for the U2 album best of all time, I have one thing to say "bah"
  19. You've gotta be kidding me! U2 are good, but better then the likes of Pink Floyd or the Beatles?? Yeah right. I cant see how Joshua Tree could even begin to compare with, say, 'The Wall' or 'Revolver'.

LOL! :D