Joshua Tree Voted Greatest All Time Album

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by TornadoDDT, Nov 23, 2001.

1. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    Well, whoever it was, I imagine that they were tryinh to make more of a name for themselves. Of course, I always thought that the best way to do that was to become known on your own terms, rather than for taking a pop at someone else to be controversial, but what do I know? :rolleyes:

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

OMG. The Joshua Tree best all time album? Sgt Pepper's getting votes for worst album of all time?

The end is near.

3. Totally agree Ric. I was born 15 years after 'Sgt Pepper' was released, but the first time I listened to it was a cornerstone in my music life. It knocked me out. I still remember first hearing 'For The Benefit Of Mr Kite' and 'A Day In The Life'. Its certainly an album that never ventures far from my rotation. I can only imagine what it must have been like to hear it brand new for the first time.
    Anyone who would vote it as the worst album is, I think, unworthy to even vote in such a poll.
    Jim

4. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    True. But then, democracy's biggest problem has always been stupid people. :p

5. So true! :D :p

6. Lizard - I can only speculate; but I think it's probably on the mark - the poll is the result of the VH-1 demographic.

- First, what kind of mentality even considers one album stands above all others??? (Answering my own question) - The same one that looks to friggin TV!!! to get exposure to music :rolleyes:

- Second, you have to be unaware that VH-1 is owned by one of the 5 megaconglomerates that also owns MTV. In other words, they are unaware that they are being spoon fed a very limited "diet" of artists that "the machine" wants them to hear.

- Third, how much of a dookie does one have to be to vote in a VH-1 poll, (unless you're really young and innocent?)

The fact that Sgt. Pepper's made an impact on you after release is really admirable. I was in my second band at the time. Our lead guitarist whipped it out one practice and it totally changed our song choices and the clothing we wore onstage. All the rules were rewritten.

7. Blackbird

Blackbird Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I turned 30 last april. No sweat, no static.

I read this and it hits me.

Life's unfunny that way.

8. David-Adler

David-Adler

Feb 28, 2001
    Bonn, Germany
    U2 = boring !

At least for me. I really hate their singer, I think he isn´t rock ´n´ roll at all (his voice). But also, I don´t believe that James LaBrie is very rock´n´roll either, so blame me if you want ...

David

9. I kinda agree. I like a lot of their stuff, but too much of it sounds alike, its just generic mid tempo soft rock. And they have always been too quick to jump on tha bandwagon of whatevers popular.
    Jim

10. David-Adler

David-Adler

Feb 28, 2001
    Bonn, Germany
    I think they simply don´t have something special about them. Just Standard. Nothing more, nothing less.