Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Joss Stone.......Mmmm...Mmmm..soul!

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by jerry, Nov 5, 2003.

1. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    If anybody wants to check out some old school soul by a new artist....check out Joss Stone! An awesome soul singer from England, that just takes it back to the roots! Groove the old fashion way, check out the groove on the White Stripes 'Fell In Love With A Boy'....I'm not even going to say how old she is:eek:

2. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    i saw her on conan and the whole thing really didnt do it for me. i know she's getting great reviews and its refreshing to see a 17 year old do something like that rather than a britney thing, but it didnt move me. then to see betty wright singing backup ?!?

3. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Jerry-
    MTV(of all people) hipped me to her.
    I'm surfing through the channels on a Sunday & hear this incredible Soul voice...needless to say, I look up & can't believe my eyes.
    Forget the MTV-poseurs du jour...Stone has it.
    She's like Betty Wright meets Janis Joplin.

Nice cover of "Some Kind Of Wonderful" on her debut cd, The Soul Sessions.
    Her supporting cast includes Little Beaver, ?uestlove, Cindy Blackman, Betty Wright, etc.
    She ain't foolin' around...

4. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I've checked her out. I bought the cd! She's good! Real good! Only thing is, when she 'really' experiences all the stuff she's singing about will I be able to take her in 100%! She ain't experienced jack so far so I don't think it should be appropriate for her to be singing Rated R+ material at 16-17 years old! Only for the sake of hype and her voice did I buy the cd.

5. Her voice blew me away - it had that experienced sound, even though she is only a teen. It depends on what she does with this talent and opportunity before I rate her as the "real" thing.

An example of someone with initial promise, of the same age, who fizzled was Jonny Lang. When I heard him play and sing blues at 16, I thought "WOW, just wait until he is really experienced!" So far, his initial work is all that has interested me, and trade rags say that he's got a big head these days... too bad!:(

6. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Lang & Kenny Wayne Shepherd didn't really do it for me...now Derek Trucks is another story.

7. charlemagne

charlemagne

Nov 5, 2003
    Vermont
    Bought the CD, love the voice and like the production. There's a cut called "Fell in Love With A Boy" that has a great bass part by Adam Blackstone...very bootsy-parliament sounding.

I hope she has a long career. Off to a good start.

8. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I'm so happy to hear the good things about it. I first heard about her from MTV, too, as much as I hate to say it. I ordered the CD about two weeks ago, but another CD I ordered wasn't in stock, so Amazon isn't going to send them to me for another two or three weeks! :(