Journey bassist

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by swrbass5, Jan 28, 2003.

1. swrbass5

swrbass5 Gold Supporting Member

I recently saw one of those VH-1 Big 80's shows with Journey playing live. the bassist had a Stingray painted pink with white polka dots ( even the fingerboard and headstock). It looked to me like Randy Jackson. Does anyone know who this was? Just curious
  2. Probably. He played with them for a time in the mid-'80s after Ross Vallory left.
  3. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Yes. It was, most definately, Randy Jackson.
  4. Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    I seen that same vid the other day, looked like they had a different drummer also. Those were the day's when Perry was firing everybody.
  5. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Thats back in the day when you had to be a good musician to be famous!
  6. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...he's probably even more "famous" since American Idol.
    I know I have explained to many that, no...this isn't Randy Jackson of The Jacksons. This Randy Jackson is a fairly well-known bassist that you have probably already "heard" with Mariah, Journey, Romeo Void, The Divinyls(?), etc.
  7. :rolleyes:

Two words: Sid. Vicious.

Carry on, gentlemen.
  8. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I saw Randy Jackson play with Billy Cobham a very long time ago........he tore it up!!!!! Kind of sad to see him on THAT t.v. show though:( I want them to make Paula Abdul sing.........I bet almost every contestant is better than her non-singing a$$:D
  9. berklee46

berklee46 Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2000
    The drummer in the video (and tour) was session drummer, Mike Baird. I remember reading something about how he had to learn the tunes and be ready for the tour within a matter of days.

In the studio, another killer session guy, Larrie Londin did the drum tracks, but didn't tour with the band. I know he died a few years later, but don't know if he was too ill to tour at that time.

Nothing against Ross Valory, but I'm a huge fan of Randy Jackson and thought he fit pretty well with the band.
  10. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Actually, Larry Londin died only a few years ago, however, I remember back when that tour was happening, Larry Londin was, supposedly, the touring drummer. I can't confirm this but I do remember it being in a Neal Schon or Randy Jackson interview.
  11. berklee46

berklee46 Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2000
    I don't mean to nitpick this thread to death, but I stand by my earlier post. He died in 1992 and never toured with the band:

"On April 24, 1992, he collapsed following a performance and he spent four months in a vegetative state. He died August 24, 1992."

From a 1992 Interview with James Byron Fox:
    "The whole thing boiled down to the fact that Perry and the producer wanted to use a click track. I never knew whether Steve Smith refused to play with a click track because he felt it insulted him, or if he just couldn't handle it, I've heard both stories - but that's why they called me. I laid down the drum tracks and got my paycheck and that was the extent of my involvement."

And from the Mike Baird page:

Drums (road only)

12. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    What can I say? I'm old (38) and have "Old-timer's" disease.

1992??? Boy it seemed like just yesterday when I heard the anouncment (about Londin's death). I think that tour was in 86 so I doubt he didn't tour due to illness though.
  13. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I liked the first 2 Journey records. When they were "Prog-Rock" types. Once Steve Perry starts in with 'em, I'm outta ther!
  14. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I'm pretty sure Steve Smith could play with a click, he is a awesome drummer......I think it was Steve Perry just being a egoed out dick! On the behind the music they did on Journey I couldn't believe what a whiner Perry is! I like the old Journey better too....when Greg Rolie was in the band.
  15. Yeah I agree that earlier Journey was great. I never did meet Steve Smith, but up in New Hampshire back in the mid 90's, I used to work with the guy who taught Steve how to play drums. Nothin' like hangin insulation on a frigid New England day, and listening to old tour stories. This guy was also Lundgrin's drummer, back when "I don't wanna work, I just wanna bang on me drum all day" was a big hit.

Guess I just felt like sharin' that little bit o info lol. Small world.
  16. permagrin

May 1, 2003
    San Pedro, CA
    I thought I'd resurrect this old thread since I saw Journey last night at Staples Center from THE VERY FIRST ROW (never had front row at an arena-sized show before, my ears are still ringing this morning). They're touring with Styx and REO Speedwagon, I was back a bit farther when those bands were on.

I was never a huge Ross Vallory fan, even though I've always thought he was very solid, but as I get older I appreciate his contributions a lot more. And I grew up in the Bay Area and was under the impression that Journey was bigger than the Beatles and Zeppelin combined. So it was great to see them, great crowd.

Anyway, bass review: newer, beautiful deep red Guild 4 string bass that looked to be very lightweight, two Bartolini soapbars or humbuckers(?) , neck p/u at an angle to the strings, strung BEAD. Very deep, tight, clean sound, at least from where I was (farther back for the other bands the bass was a bit murky, but 75% of the FOH was drums...). His rack: I dunno, I'm not a big gear guy, so whatever fx he used I have no idea (there were a few units, one musta been compression, anything else would be minimal). He did have an SWR preamp, a pair of Crown power amps, two 4x10 Edens. And tuner, power cond, wireless. As for performance, well, not very flashy, no amazing technical prowess, but nice moving lines that drove the songs along and very tight with the band (btw, Neal Schon (sp?) is phenomenal, gorgeous PRS guitars). Mostly fingers, although he used a pick about a third of the time. And he did a lot of baking vocals, probably his strongest role.

Band review: well, the singer was really amazing, but is still no Steve Perry (I've heard the prima donna stories, but the voice!) and the drummer was great but wasn't Steve Smith. Like I said, Neal Schon is outrageously gifted, and Jonathon Cain is the complete musician. Overall though, it was the songs that were the stars of the show. Not quite the good old days, but as close as one can get.
  17. The original Journey Line Up of Schon, Rollie, Ansley Dunbar on Drums (Frank Zappa)! and Ross on bass was a great progressive rock band. Hot off the road of being in Santana these "kids" rocked. The Steve Perry version was not at all the same band.Too bad they lost their roots. They did sell alot of records though.
    I believe Steve Smith plays drums on Jean Luc Ponty's "Enigmatuic OCean" I would find it hard to believe he can't hang with a click.
  18. Hey Permagrin, thanks for posting that dude. I've also been a big journey fan since i was a kid (i turn 30 this year!!) and i was interested to hear how were rockin' on this tour.
  19. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000

This man has definatly been around the block. Heres his web page, check it out. His bio/discography is extremly impressive

Some interesting stuff about Steve Smith.
  20. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    Are they the ones who did that rockin song: "shoulda been gone, knowin how I made you feel and i shoulda been gone...... Oh sherry, ooooooooooour love goooooes on, goes on.." ???