1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Journey Instruments Introduces Collapsible Carbon Fiber Acoustic Bass Guitar

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ukiah Bass, Jan 30, 2016.

1. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass

May 10, 2006
    GBassNorth likes this.
  2. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

I have played a few CF acoustic guitars and have been happy with most of them, and am contemplating buying one. This Journey bass looks pretty promising, however given the size of the body this would be best plugged into an amp IM)+E.

I do like the Manzer Wedge®; I have that on my Yamamoto MS-12. :bassist: I must say I am pretty bothered that Journey did not give credit where due (in fact, they claim it as theirs under Proprietary Body Design). :rollno:

Manzer Guitars - Manzer Guitars

Last edited: Jan 30, 2016
  3. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass

May 10, 2006
    I presume all ABGs must be amplified to be heard. I know the arguments. I used to own a Tacoma Thunderchief. It wasn't loud enough. Sounded great through an amp and cab.

Obviously, the Journey Instrument bass must also have a good pickup for a good signal. Don't know anything about this company ... hence the query in this thread.

4. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass

May 10, 2006
    BTW, regarding that wedge: it looks like a terrific ergonomic idea for dealing with a pot belly. You can't play a fat ABG if you have a big belly. Not that I'm saying I do.

Jeff Scott likes this.
  5. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    You can, I do, but I admit I can't see the front of the fretboard...

6. pbass6811

pbass6811 Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Indy, IN
    There is an L. Manzer copyright logo in that guitar specifications section on Journey's page...

How much is the damn thing?

Edit: I found the pricing. I hope that's MSRP, and actual street prices will be a bit less...

7. HaphAsSard

HaphAsSard

Dec 1, 2013
    Italia
    Hm. For bassists who like it acoustic and portable. I guess it makes sense.
    I'd rather see something like this but full-scale and ginormous, like the Rigel. Ya know, have your Babel Tower wedding cake and being able to carry it around too.

8. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Thanks for pointing that out, I don't know how I missed seeing the logo (probably from just looking at the text only for body dimensions). Yamamoto displays Linda's logo on the front page of his website.

However, he probably should not include the wedge under this:

Proprietary Body Design:
    Stylized Overhead body shape
    Mid-position offset sound hole for maximum resonance
    Scoopaway™ for access to all 20 frets while maintaining maximum volume
    Beveled back for maximum playing comfort
    Wedge design for increased volume, comfort and efficiency
    Beveled soundboard armrest for maximum comfort

9. JourneyInstruments

JourneyInstruments Commercial User

Jan 27, 2016
    Official account for Journey Instruments
    Hey Gang, we produced around 4 of these already and the response has been much better than we expected at the show. Literally every bass player who played it liked it. Here's a video by Kilian Duarte at our booth: (mic was a little hot so the sound breaks up a bit at higher volumes)

The carbon body is super resonant - so I'd say acoustically it's nearly the same volume as a full-sized acoustic bass. We were using short scale d'addario acoustic bass strings, but we're testing with flat wounds. The most common comments we heard were: "This sounds alot like an upright... This is super comfortable and light... and, man, I can really feel this in my chest!" I'm going to send out a few to some editors this month, and have 2-3 more videos to post this week.

Cheers!

Rob

jd56hawk likes this.
  10. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass

May 10, 2006
    Looking forward to your new videos. I called a dealer in San Mateo, Ca. to try one and he had not heard about it. We're trying to arrange getting one for a hands on trial.

BTW, I'd ditch that demo video above. Slapping and popping an acoustic bass in the middle of a major trade show floor - and capturing the whole cacophony with a mic -- severely diminishes what I presume is great tone!

11. Fun Size Nick

Fun Size Nick

Feb 21, 2006
    Hong Kong
    Thanks for weighing in, Rob, I'm really looking forward to trying this out - especially with flatwound strings on it! My mate Glen Lynam has one of your acoustic guitars and always sounds great on it, so I have high hopes for the bass.

12. MD

MD

Nov 7, 2000
    Marin Co. CA.
    Yep! Nothing good about it.

13. Dbassmon

Dbassmon

Oct 2, 2004
    Rutherford, NJ
    No Secret that carbon fiber is an excellent material to create string instruments out of. Carbon Fiber is very a stable and resonant material. I heard and acoustic 6 string that sounded terrific, Double basses, violins, violas and cellos too.

Journey Instruments would do well to get a better video demoing this bass. I will not hold the performance and recording quality against the instrument but this video is not flattering to the sound of that bass.

pcake likes this.
  14. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    If you don't need a detachable neck, Emerald guitars in Ireland are doing
    some wonderful things with Carbon Fiber and acoustic instruments.

They are very willing to do custom work too. 8 or 12 string ABGs are no problem.

Basses

Max Blasto likes this.
  15. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

What is the price?

16. pbass6811

Nov 10, 2008
    Indy, IN
    Almost $1,500. It does say that's MSRP. Hopefully, it'll street for less. I'd like to get one, but I've completely blown my budget for new basses. Any new basses might actually require selling a current one, and that's not gonna happen...

DiabolusInMusic likes this.
  17. Antisyzygy

Antisyzygy Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2014
    Washington
    That seems high. I understand it's CF but man...

I'd be in the market for something like that just so I could practice anywhere I go but not at that price.

18. pbass6811

Nov 10, 2008
    Indy, IN
    Yeah, I'm with ya'. Anything made of carbon fiber is going to be pricey and the removable neck is gonna add to that(it's going to come with a backpack-like bag)...

Honestly, it's probably priced exactly where it should be, I'm just bummed because I'll hafta sacrifice way more than I want to if I decide to get one of these. This will definitely require some serious contemplation as to whether, or not, I really want/need one...

19. silvertone

silvertone

Nov 6, 2007
    SF, CA
    I can't speak about this particular Journey instrument as I haven't seen it or played it but I own 2 Carbon Fiber necked basses (Mod Q5 and a Fretless Mod Bassstar) and a great Mad/Mix New Millenium F5 Carbon Fiber Mandolin:

NewMAD_F5_Top.

The only acoustic issue that I could consider questionable with the mandolin is that while it sounds fantastic, unlike a solid wood topped mandolin, it will never improve in tonality with age.

But it's super fun to play, it's incredibly durable and I can travel to places like Hawaii and put the instrument in the trunk of a black rental car and not have to worry about the effects of heat and sunlight on it.

20. JourneyInstruments

JourneyInstruments Commercial User

Jan 27, 2016
    Official account for Journey Instruments
    Hey guys - street price should be under $1200, FYI. We'll have some professional video out in a month or so - when product is available for the market. The acoustic sound is very, very good. :)

Ukiah Bass likes this.