1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Joy Division chorus for under 150€

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Gonzo476, Jan 3, 2012.

1. Gonzo476

Gonzo476

Mar 1, 2009
    Madrid, Spain
    Listening to too much Joy Division has finally made GAS return. I've decided that my phaser is not getting enough use and that I could definitely use some chorus. I'm not looking for versatility, as I'm obsessed with THIS sound Joy Division - 24 hours - YouTube

I've gone through many threads and everyone recommends the Analogman chorus, but it's out of my budget, sooo...which chorus can do a Peter Hook impersonation for 150€ or less? Volume control would be a BIG plus!

edit: sorry I forgot to mention that I don't have much space left on my pedalboard, so size is also important (XO enclosure or maybe a bit bigger would be the maximum I could squeeze in there).

2. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    If it's an affordable chorus pedal you want, the danelectro cool cat cc-1 chorus pedal would be right up your alley. this chorus pedal can provide really nice chorus sounds and it goes easy on your budget.

3. There's this super cheap Arion Chorus pedal that some people seem to be really into. I think it uses a similar BBD chip to the Clone Theory Peter Hook uses so it might work for you. Here is a link to a crappy demo someone did: ARION STEREO CHORUS SCH-Z (Bass Demo) - YouTube

I think it sounds like it might get you close, but you be the judge. I would just recommend a Clone Theory, but the word is the noise on the new ones in unbearable.

4. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    Wasn't it an EHX Polychorus that Hooky used? I don't know what they go for these days but it would do the job.

5. I'm pretty sure it was the Clone Theory, but I'm no expert so maybe you're right. I think the new Polychorus would be a good alternative, but they are about $220. I'm not sure how that works out in Euro's or how the prices compare in Europe.

6. Someone has a vintage Clone Theory listed on BassChat Uk for 110GBP.

7. An Electro-Harmonix Clone Theory is what you want, but it doesn't have a volume control. I'm not sure how much a new one sells for in €, but that's what will get you the sound.

8. CElton

CElton I'm a new note finder...

That sounds exactly like the T-Rex Sweeper I tried out for a while. It was a nice chorus, just not my thing. You should check it out.

9. Gonzo476

Gonzo476

Mar 1, 2009
    Madrid, Spain
    I've actually been looking into that one...do you know if the level knob controlled the overall volume or just the chorus volume?

10. Haha! I've been experimenting with a few chorus pedals to get that sound too! Peter Hook is on the top of my list for influences on bass. I got a VERY similar sound to his by combining a Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble with a Digitech Multi-Chorus. Those you can find inexpensively, and are versatile if you choose to tweek your sound for different occasions. But I understand board space is an issue, so you could try what I'm trying and get a Digitech CF-7 Chorus Factory, which has an EQ on every setting, so you can get Hooky's sound. It replaces the two pedals I previously mentioned, and it also has an EHX Small Clone emulator...which is a scaled-down version of his vintage Electro-Harmonix Clone Theory, which is entirely different from the modern version. If you're looking for his live sound from early Warsaw demos up to when New Order broke up, add some light distortion, and it'll sound almost identical...granted you have something along the lines of a P-bass, though.
    You just need a lot of width and shrillness to the effect, something EHX is known to have in their choruses...but those are huge, rare, and expensive. I'd definitely try out the Chorus Factory. It also has a flanger, if I'm correct, like the old Clone Theory, so you can get a sound similar to Insight. The pedal is $100 U.S.D. new, or you could look around a bit and pay half that. Great taste, man! :D