Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Joy Division- Peter Hook setup

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Locke, Feb 11, 2002.

1. Locke

Locke

Jul 14, 2000
    Anybody know what Hooky uses (used) in Joy Division in terms of basses, amps, and cabinets.

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I think he used a variety of equipment and basses - like Rickenbacker, Shergold, Haymans and others. The Shergold 6 string is probably his most famous bass and "trademark" sound :

[​IMG]

If you're thinking about Joy Division albums, then I think the "sound" was far more influenced by the producer - "Martin Hannett" (unfortunately no longer with us). I have read many accounts from Hook and the other JD musicians themselves, where they explain that Hannett made them sound completely different to the way they were live and they would be sitting in the control room fighting with him, to make it sound more aggressive. Although Hook has said that now he appreciates what Hannett was trying to do.

I think you can hear Hannett's sound on other albums he produced and so the bass on Magazine's "Correct use of Soap which was produced by him also sounds amazing.