Joy to the World

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by neo 7, Oct 24, 2011.

1. neo 7

neo 7 The bass player doesn't get a sandwich

Aug 22, 2011
    Erie, PA
    I've been recruited to play with a guitarist for a Christmas event at a church. One of the songs is 'Joy to the World'. I just happen to have a book where this song is displayed in tab (on the G string: 7 6 4 2 etc...) but the sheet music the guitarist has is completely different. We tried playing them both together and agreed that both parts are in a different key. Neither I or the guitarist are very good at reading sheet music. Can anyone offer any insight about this particular song?

2. Yes you both need to be using the same key.

Both The United Methodist Hymnal and the Cooksbury Worship Hymnal have the song in D so that is a good chance the vocalist will be happy with D. But, maybe not......

Here is some fake chord in G. Notice the transpose button - top of the page - transpose down 5 half steps to get it in D.
    Joy To The World Chords (ver 2) by Misc Christmas @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

Find out what key the vocalist would like the song to be in. Then use the above fake chord site and transpose it into what ever the vocalist wants. Then you three use that same music.

Have fun.

3. nutdog

nutdog when I'm a good dog they sometimes throw me a bone

Feb 19, 2009
    in the dog house
    The melody is based on the major scale. The first line, IIRC, is the major scale going down and is usually in D. It can be faked and even rocked out :bassist: using three chords D G and A. Mostly lots of D.

Is it instrumental or accompaniment for vocal?

4. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

Aug 22, 2011
    the Hoyt Axton tune?

5. Rockin Mike

Rockin Mike

May 27, 2011
    the Three Dog Night song?

6. john m

john m Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2006
    Gerimia was a bullfrog.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 17, 2021