JOYO effects??

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Lark, Aug 31, 2011.

1. A local store had the Valco 'Stooge' Octave fuzz (which is the Ultimate Octave in a black enclosure) retailing for $80. I did a bit of digging and found the Joyo Ultimate Octave on the 'Bay for half that, including shipping. I've had it since June, and I'm really digging it so far.

2. Lark

Lark

Aug 19, 2011
    Yo muthafunk and tracer03,

Just wondering how you guys are going with your ultimate octaves? Still working/in one piece?
    Been on a bit of a pedal search and still considering this bad boy...
    Sound clip sounds good, just wondering on your thoughts towards the octave up feature? How would it sound after an octave pedal?

Also has anyone had any experience with the joyo flanger? Thoughts?

3. Mine is still in great shape. Its been on my board the whole time. Admittedly I only kick it on for special occasions but that happens regular enough...

IMO the Octave up feature is not very useful for bass unless your pulling a searing solo on the upper most register of the bass. Even then, I'm personally not a fan of the sound. I've run my Aguilar Octamizer after it with the octave up on a few times an it works but doesn't sound great. It sounds cool with the standard fuzz though. I just had a way huge pork loin in it's place for a little while but had to have the Joyo back.

4. While I don't play every weekend, it's been on my board since I got it in September, and I'm actually recording a track with the band where I use it on one song with bass (1 track - clean jazz, 1 track - Ultimate Octave Fuzz, eq'ed, etc.). I haven't abused it, but it's held up well, and I haven't had any issues with it.

After some tweaking and experimenting with the pedal, I'm able to get a fuzz sound that makes me happy - but I've found I use the octave less than I thought.

So far, well worth the $40 I paid for it.

5. boristhespider7

boristhespider7

Jan 27, 2008
    UK
    +1, i've been using one too. Def beats anything else in this price range hands down for a digital delay. Couple of minor flaws but i can live with them. You can read the review here:
    Digital Delay - Bass Gear Reviews at TalkBass.com

6. Lark

Lark

Aug 19, 2011
    Has anyone had any experience with the joyo flanger? Does it lose lose low end or become muddy on bass?

Has anyone tried the joyo power supply for effects pedals? If so, what are your thoughts?

Does anyone know when the new line will is available?

Thanks...

7. sninja

sninja

May 21, 2012
    Tokyo, Japan
    What can you say about their compressor pedal? How it works with bass?

8. terryat

terryat

Oct 21, 2012
    NY
  9. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    Everyone's got a question but no one's got an answer.

Sounds like Joyo should make the effort to post some YouTube vids.

10. Laurent

Laurent Supporting Member

May 21, 2008
    Napa, California
    These pedals should be decent. They are blatant copies of circuits developped by others.... not the first time in the nutty world of pedals.

That being said anything with electronic components coming out of China has a 30% defect rate and reliability is substandard. You get what you pay for ultimately.
    When it comes to pedals and equipment, I like my stuff to be made in the US as much as possible.

11. wolfchen

wolfchen

Jun 7, 2013
    As a seller of Joyo pedals I've gone through hundreds of them, and I can honestly say that the defect rate on them is quite low <2%. Returns from customers are always taste/tone related versus hardware issues.

http://www.cheaperpedals.com

12. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Inactive

Jan 20, 2011
    Ultimate Drive is suitable for guitar and bass. No problems handling low end. A little abrasive high end but it can be tamed. good to know the high end is there if you want it. Solid construction, dated paint job. Bottom line: economical clone, gets the job done & it's worth the dough.

13. avvie

avvie

Oct 12, 2010
    Maui, HI
    I LOVE the Joyo Ultimate Drive!! Aside from what it does as an overdrive in general, I love the tone it has when playing chords on bass...almost guitarish! I posted a review in the "OCD Love/Hate' thread.
    I saw the BassTheWorld Youtube demo of the OCD...it was exactly what I wanted. i took a chance on the Joyo clone, and it's exactly what i wanted.

14. ognihs

ognihs

May 18, 2013
    i've tried several of these and ended up with the ultimate drive for guitar. it's surprisingly versatile and plays great with a tube amp. very warm sounding drive and gives a great option compared to my amp's distortion.

i didn't like the ultimate octave as an octave pedal because you have to do a capactior mod to get the effect to become noticable. the fuzz is pretty good though. very thick and the mid cut is a cool option on a $40 pedal. it definitely won't replace a fulltone, but it's something.

their phaser and compressor are pretty solid too. there's also the dr j line of pedals, which is their higher end line. haven't used them but the local guy pushing them swears they're better than the standard joyo stuff.

15. DagoMaino

DagoMaino

Feb 1, 2013
    I just returned a Joyo Dyna Compressor last week... Tried it as an option for a cheap ($40) compressor, read reviews that it was decent, but they all were guitar oriented.

The trial: it was really subtle... I was ok with subtle, but we are talking REALLY subtle!... as in not really worth the footprint on my board. I didn't bother trying it on guitar before I returned it, and acknowledge it may work much better for guitar.

Tried a used Milk Box after (GC Used $45) MUCH BETTER!

16. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    I see that make copies of the Tech 21 character series, but strangely no VT Bass copy. I wonder why?

Anyone know of clone of this pedal?

17. Laurent

Laurent Supporting Member

May 21, 2008
    Napa, California
    How about buying the original? Buy it used if the new price is beyond your budget. You will be better served than buying a copy.

18. fishtx

fishtx

Mar 30, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Genzler Amplification/Spector Basses/Mojo Hand FX
    Interested in hearing about their Flanger as well...

19. I have a JOYO comp on my board. I like it a lot better
    than my amps (Hartke 3500) built in comp. It sounds
    great. It is an ALWAYS ON pedal.

20. Leadfoot

Leadfoot

Sep 3, 2011
    I currently use the Ultimate Drive, but am interested in something less 'crunchy.' Is anyone using Joyo's Sweet Baby Overdrive on bass? Thanks.