1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Joyo...opinions

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by dcbassist5, Jul 16, 2017.

1. dcbassist5

dcbassist5 Supporting Member

May 11, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Endorsing Artist: Ashdown, Lakland, Hardwire
    SO....I recently picked up a couple of JOYO pedals just to give them a try. In the past I've never even considered them due to being a bit of a pedal snob. My assumption was that for $50-$70 they couldn't possibly deserve a spot on my board in the midst of $200+ boutique pedals. For reference, a few of my go-to's are:

Keeley Bassist
    Free The Tone Bass Blaster 2
    CAB Holy Fire
    Damnation Audio MB1

The JOYO pedals I picked up were the Ironman series: Moonbase and Orange Juice. I liked the small footprint, the control guard and the clips I heard online sounded decent.

After playing around a bit I've come to the conclusion that these pedals are pretty damned diverse and sound pretty great to my ears.

So....my questions are:
    What's the deal? Do they have a short life? (I.e. High failure rate? Intermittent issues? Etc..)
    Do other players feel they can hang with more expensive boutique pedals?

I'm basically just looking for pros and cons from other players that have experience with them.

Thanks!

BornAgainBass likes this.
  2. My oldest pedals besides a Digitech are Joyos and Behringers. They're cheap because they're put together in China, and seemingly they are perceived to be fragile, but mine have survived years of use and sound good. In some cases the sound quality sucks next to a pricey pedal, but in most cases, the cheap ones are as good as, and in some cases, are better than the more pricey ones.

dcbassist5 likes this.
  3. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone Gold Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    Well, I own a couple.

Seems to be amazing quality compared to the low price tag.

Can't say much about their reliability though, even if I haven't experienced any issues, as I haven't owned mine for too long, but they seem to be sturdy enough.

Don't like the Moon Base judging from the demo's I've seen of it, ironically it has ton of low end loss, ironically as it is designed specifically for bass, while a lot of their pedals designed specifically for guitar seems to have very little of that if any.

Love the Orange Juice that you also got though, so much I got 2 of those.

Also have a California Sound, their Mesa Boogie amp emulator, I use mainly as high gain distortion unit, as well as I ponder investing in their American Sound pedal, a Fender amp emulator.

Heard a lot of nice things about the American Sound pedal used for bass, as well as the demo's on YouTube of it sound promising.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
    ObsessiveArcher and dcbassist5 like this.
  4. birminghambass

birminghambass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    I've owned about 40 different OD/distortion pedals, the only 1 left standing: Joyo American Sound. I like it better than the original (Tech 21 Blonde).

5. BusyFingers

BusyFingers

Nov 26, 2016
    A lot of the Joyo's are clones of other well-known, and more expensive, circuits.

6. BusyFingers

BusyFingers

Nov 26, 2016
    Those are basically clones of the Sansamp Character series of preamp pedals.

smogg and osv like this.
  7. I really liked the three I have owned the Ultimate Drive, American & California Sounds. I did wound up selling the UD and American to guitar players that have gigged them heavily with no reported issues. The California has been a mainstay in my studio for bass, guitar, electric piano and synth.

NoiseNinja likes this.
  8. osv

osv Supporting Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Milwaukee, WI
    I had the orange juice and thought it sounded good. The build quality and form factor are great. However, I purchased a used Tech21 Oxford at the same time and found it to be more versatile. I could get more variation in tone and clank. I kept the Oxford.
    If your budget or pedalboard real estate is limited, I think that the Joyo Ironman series would be a great choice.

ObsessiveArcher and smogg like this.
  9. lethal dose

lethal dose Supporting Member

Apr 10, 2016
    I run an ultimate drive on bass. Sounds and works fine. Better than it cost, IMHO. YMMV.

10. Uncle Hanky

Uncle Hanky

May 10, 2017
    Texas
    I love my Ultimate Drive and American Sound.

jcerio and smogg like this.
  11. RyanJD

RyanJD Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2011
    Iowa
    If you're interested, I've got the compressor in mint condition for sale at $30.
    For Sale - Joyo Pipebomb Compressor (JF-312)

I like it well enough but I got a great deal on a Spectracomp. One knob is enough for me when it comes to compression!

On topic, I've also got a Dr. J Sparrow Bass DI. It's Joyo's more "boutique" brand from what I understand. It does a pretty darn good job for me. It's a copy of the Sansamp BDDI. I think it sounds just as good.

I've had no issues or failures with either of my Joyo experiences. I think they're like SX, or Squier. Not too fancy, but they get the job done on a budget.

smogg likes this.
  12. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
    I use the JF-02 Ultimate Drive. It's an OCD clone that works well on bass. At $30 a pop it's pretty much a no brainer.

ObsessiveArcher likes this.
  13. Chicory Blue

Chicory Blue

Oct 9, 2016
    I'm don't own any myself, but I've heard the legitimate worship for the Ultimate Drive. People seem to dig it hard.

--^@

flexiblemile likes this.
  14. Sansamp clones with hisss, on bass never tried,on guitar so cheap :vomit:

15. JCooper

JCooper ...meep. Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Vermont
    American Sound has outlasted many....love it.
    The Orange Juice is great too.

NoiseNinja and Uncle Hanky like this.
  16. I have a Joyo Classic Flanger, the white one with the Harrier jet graphic. I think I paid about 40 bucks for it. Worth it. Metal case, sturdy switch, simple and gets the job done, can't complain.

17. Sunset Shalom

Sunset Shalom

May 9, 2016
    I own an Joyo Deluxe Crunch which I never used too much, but it's a solid pedal and still worked last I checked.

Also have had a Joyo Dyna Comp for awhile now which I really like. Very simple but fairly transparent compressor that can make a great clean boost.

HamOnTheCob likes this.
  18. superheavyfunk

superheavyfunk Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2013
    Toronto
    I'm currently saving up to buy a Joyo programmable bypass looper. For the price (and after watching/reading lots of reviews), there doesn't seem to be anything anywhere near the cost to feature value. I think that many of these pedals that are made overseas on the cheap get a bad rap because of just that - they are made overseas on the cheap.

19. HamOnTheCob

HamOnTheCob Jacob Moore Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Cambridge, Ohio, USA
    Endorsing Artist for Warwick Basses, Mesa Engineering, Joyo Technology, Dr. J Pedals, and Levy's Leathers
    Take my opinion with a grain of salt because I have an endorsement with Joyo, but I've had the Dyna Comp, Analog Chorus, Voodoo Octave, Noise Gate, Quattro Delay, D-Seed, Space Verb, Wow Wah, and the AT Drive, as well as the Dr. J Sparrow, and the only one I don't recommend for bass is the Voodoo Octave. And that's not because it's not an okay pedal, but for bass, by itself, it just doesn't sound great. The Ironman pedals are stellar, and the Space Verb is the best pedal, by any manufacturer, I've ever owned. It really shines with a fretless bass. All their pedals are built well, but I'm 99% sure the Ironman pedals are indestructible.

I think Joyo offers a great range of pedals at crazy low prices. Have they stood on the shoulders of other brands to get there? Yes, but they're also an innovative company. The amps they've been unveiling are brilliant, including the Klonz, which is a modeling amp using analog relays instead of digital modeling. Quite interesting. If you have any questions on any of the pedals I mentioned here, shoot me a message and I'll be happy to answer.

Jacob

dcbassist5 and kodiakblair like this.
  20. Here is a list of all the clone pedals and which pedal they are clones of. Joyo pedals are clones of bigger companies effects pedals. So this should give you an idea of what they sound like. I have friends who have played Joyo pedals and they seem to hold up. I have a couple of cheap Donner pedals that are awesome for my guitar set ups. Their ulti comp and blues drive pedals are nice and worth plugging in to your board. Hope this helps you out.
    Inexpensive Pedal Clones - A List

Duder, mikew31 and Fight4Bottom like this.