Joyo Orange Juice / modern "grind" sound ?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by C_Becker, Mar 3, 2018.

1. C_Becker

C_Becker

Mar 30, 2017
    Germany
    I found this video while surfing around, and I'm curious now.
    The sound reminds me of Darkglass a bit, that kind of modern "metal" tone with lots of high mids, grind and clank. Does anyone own this pedal and can tell me if you can really get this kind of tone from it ? Or is it more his bass that is responsible ?

ThinCrappyTone likes this.
  2. cataract

cataract Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Columbia SC
    Well, if that’s a Dingwall, there’s a chance that it has a Darkglass Tone Capsule onboard preamp.
    I had a Tech 21 Oxford that got pretty gnarly/grindy with my 4003 pushing it, so the OJ should get you there for sure.

C_Becker and saabfender like this.
  3. warrplayer

warrplayer

Apr 16, 2008
    Charlotte, NC
    I have the Tech 21 Oxford (which is said to sound quite close to the Joyo) and I would catagorize it as old school grind. I am guessing it is most likely the Darkglass Tone capsule that is contributing to the more modern sound on display here.

C_Becker, cataract and saabfender like this.
  4. BassikLee

BassikLee Commercial User

Feb 13, 2004
    Starke, FL
    Owner: JLA Custom In Ear Monitors
    That's not a Dingwall though. It's an Acacia, as far as I know

C_Becker and cataract like this.
  5. baSfo

baSfo

Aug 13, 2017
    Italy
    Yes, it's an Acacia Atlas and i think it plays a big role in that sound.
    I have an OJ, tried months ago to achieve similar sounds using a Warwick Corvette 5 $$ with fresh rounds and OJ into an Hardwire C2 and eq. Came close, a very good aggressive sound but you need a bass like that to match the exact tone imho.

cataract likes this.
  6. BassBrass

BassBrass

Jul 6, 2009
    Boston MA
    The Orange Juice makes a great grindy amp sym as depicted, lots of tunable mid and low, highs if you crank it (or your bass has it like this one does). What I didn't like was the hiss when not playing and it's on. The Grizzly and ssbs Mini are my go too overdrives and they are dead quiet in comparison. btw, the joyo space verb won a space on my board, it's sooo small and sounds not cheep at all.

C_Becker and cataract like this.
  7. C_Becker

C_Becker

Mar 30, 2017
    Germany
    Looks like I should be able to get at least in the ballpark. Thanks for all the answers :thumbsup:

8. Waltsdog

Waltsdog Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2009
    Ottawa, ON
    I just picked one of these up and with the voice knob cranked you can get all kinds of grindy clank out of it.
    I don’t run mine that way but it definitely does that sound.

C_Becker likes this.
  9. jw23mind

jw23mind

Jan 16, 2017
    Reading MA
    I directly compared the OJ and my Rusty Box, and the Rusty won hands down. The OJ seemed a little fuzzy by comparision. But the Rusty is significantly more expensive (and large).

10. Beheroth

Beheroth

Aug 26, 2016
    Judging by the settings shown in the first seconds of the video, the clank actually comes from the OD he's using, which is a TS clone and not from the orange pre. When he's demoing each pedal, you can hear that the clank from the OJ is dialed in by cranking the voice knob, which is set to zero in the first part of the vid.

P-oddz and C_Becker like this.
  11. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    There is a Joyo thread already on here. Loads of talk and advice about these little marvels. I love my OJ, although dont use it as much as i hoped.